Looking for an Indonesian language study buddy

Hello everyone!

During the past several years I have studied Indonesian for a few months, quit for some time, only to go back to lesson one and start over again.  I am very much interested in learning Indonesian but I am afraid that it is impossible for me to continue much longer by myself.  I would like to find someone with whom I can study or practice the language.  It would be wonderful to find an Indonesian to help me, but I am afraid that I wouldn't be able to give anything in return for all the time and patience.  Also, in order to truly improve my skills, I need to find someone who is willing to study with me more than just once or twice.  Perhaps a good idea would be to look for another foreigner like myself who is very interested and serious in learning the language.  Having the same interest in learning the language and perhaps also similar goals, I suppose that we could help each other.  Of course, my suggestion isn't perfect because we would probably have limited knowledge.  I have tried studying a different foreign language in the past with fellow student in such a way and we were able to practice and help each other very much and we continue to this day to chat in that language once a week on Skype.

Let me write just a little about myself here.  I am a white American male and have been living in Japan for twenty-one years.  I am forty-one years old and am very much interested in learning about other cultures and in particular foreign languages.  I can speak English, Japanese, French and Italian.  Also, although my fluency isn't like that of a native speaker, I can speak a few other languages.  I have studied even more langauges in the past not so much to become fluent in those languages but to look at them from a linguistic point of view and try to understand the mechanisms of those languages.  In addition to studying foreign languages, I like reading, working out with light weights, swimming, listening to music, traveling, watching Korean DVDs and writing in my blog.

If possible I would like to find another non-Indonesian speaker who is very enthusiastic about learning the language and practice together on Skype by either trying to converse in the language or perhaps doing exercises from a textbook depending on our language skills.  I am not looking for an English-Indonesian language exchange.  However, if an Indonesian is interested in practicing Japanese, French or Italian, I might consider it.

I would describe my general Indonesian level as lower intermediate.  I have worked through a few textbooks in the past and have a good idea of the basic grammar but because of a hiatus from time to time, I don't think that I have mastered all the necessary grammar and vocabulary to speak freely in Indonesian.  Since I have tried to learn the language by myself, my conversational skills are upper beginner.  I need a lot of practice!

Here is a short list of the English books I have for learning Indonesian.  I also have several Japanese books and a few Korean books for learning Indonesian:

Bahasa Indonesia Book One by Yohanni Johns  ISBN 0-945971-56-7
Teach Yourself Indonesian by Christopher Byrnes and Eva Nyimas  ISBN 978-0-07-142026-6
Colloquial Indonesian by Sutanto Atmosumarto  ISBN 0-415-09199-3
Indonesian – A Comprehensive Grammar by James Neil Sneddon  ISBN 0-415-15529-0

The Teach Yourself Indonesian book is new for me and I would like to perhaps start that book soon.

A few last words.  I am looking for either a male or female study buddy or a friend, not love, romance or anything more.  After having read this long explanation and you find yourself in a smiliar situation as me in that you would like to learn the Indonesian language seriously with another person, please contact me!

Hoping to find a study buddy,
ʻAnalū

Hi, Analu Kalaka. I'm an Indonesian :)
selamat datang, senang bisa berkenalan dengan anda

Selamat Datang Analu Kalaka dann puridewayana. Saya orang America dann senang bisa berkenalan dengan semua! :) Bahasa Indonesia saya tidak lancar tapi Basaha Indonesia kasih saya.

I also have been learning Indonesian on my own with the help of a CD for 1 year now and like you have been looking for someone who is also sincerely interested to learn with me too.  I have tried all the books that you have listed with no luck - too dry and my experience is that I get to a point where I don't understand, can't ask anyone and then I give up.  I've had VERY good luck with the CD's I have as they're spoken with an American and an Indonesian girl - plus they're fun!

I'm VERY interested in communicating with you if you're game!  I'm an American too, as you read above. I'm living in Germany and my husband (German) and I are off to Bali again in January for 4 weeks.  Bali and learning Indonesian are my passion.  Also, don't worry I'm not looking for a love either(found the best in the world!) just a serious study buddy and I do have Skype.  What you wrote are exactly my sentiments.

I'm a 51 yr. old female American and have been living here in Germany for nearly 30 years.  Have many customers in Japan and like you, am also interested in learning about other countries and their cultures.  I speak fluent German and am also an upper beginner with my Indonesian.....I need help too!
So if you're interested, write me back and maybe we can get something going - it would be great!  Check out my avitar, it's from our last trip to Bali.  59 more days before we fly back...I can hardly wait.  4 weeks to practice the Bahasa Indonesia I've been learning this past year.

Hope to hear from you!!!:top::top::)

Perhaps you should get yourself an Indonesian language teacher? Maybe this info could help:

Indonesian Course

Indonesianlanguage.net

Hi Analu,
Have you found your study buddy Yet? ?

Hello all!

I was able to find an Indonesian teacher and also a study buddy, but donʻt let that put you off!  I am very much interested in the language and although I am busy, would still like to make friends with other people who are struggling with Indonesian, Balinese, Javanese or Sundanese!  I am not sure how many study buddies I can make, but I am always happy to get encouraging words from others or more than willing to send out my own messages trying to push others along on their path to mastering a language, especially one that I am interested in!

A hui hou kākou,
ʻAnalū

Hi Al

I am Indonesian but like to make friends from all the worlds.  If you like I would be happy to be your friend so I can practice my English.  In fact I learn Japanese too but never practice so I don't think I remember.  So if you welcome please reply me.

Hi Analu Kalaka and Kansasgirl who have willing to speak Indonesian. I'm Indonesian (saya orang Indonesia). I'm a woman (saya wanita), as a matter or fact 4J is from Joice, Johan, Jessyca and Janessa (me is Joice, Johan is my husband, Jessyca and Janessa are our daughters). We are mixed couple. My husband is French (suami saya orang Perancis). Oui, bien sur, Je parle un petit peu français. Indonesian language is not as difficult as french, i think. all you have to do first is to have as much vacobulary as u could. And little by little, we can start to make small sentence. what do u think ??
P.S: for Kansasgirl ... and = dan, language = bahasa. But you could already know some words, I'm impressed!
Well... at home we speak english and french. I have to keep practising my english, or soon my big girl will start to teas me :op
Nice to know you guys... and have a nice day!

hi.. so glad to share and teach u indonesian language

Hi there

Interested to read your comment especially your eager to learn many difference culture and languages.

Myself in fact an Indonesian female but have same interest as you.  I was also learned Japanese writing and speaking few years ago, but since have no one to practice then now all just gone.

If you welcome then I would love to be your friend.  Just write me direct to my email.

Ditunggu yah emailnya (looking forward for your reply).

Bye
Desy

email:  [email protected]