Unsure about citizenship

Hi there,

Hope someone can help me. I did try to phone the embassy but, no answer.

My dad was born in Namibia, but live in South Africa. a Family member was in Windhoek and said that because my dad was born there. The rest of us can have citizenship. I don't think so due to the no duel citizenship.

But if my sister do want a Namibia citizenship? Does she lost her South African citizenship? If it is possible, how does it work? 

Thanks

Hi and welcome to Expat.com pinky76!

I hope other forum members will be able to help you out soon.

Regards
Armand

Hi Armand.

I also hope so...:D

Your dad was born in Namibia and his children in South Africa, I hope I have the scenario correct, that will mean they have a right to Namibian citizenship by descent. The problem is that Namibian govenrment is trying to do away with dual citizenship but it is not law yet, and the interpretation of the current citizenship laws is undecided.

If South Africa allows dual citizenship I gues you can hold both namibian and south african citizenship.

There was a court case in namibia where a woman entered Namibia with both South African and Namibian passports although the immigration officials took one away, the court ruled in her favour and her passport were returned.

I hope that helps...