Moving to Addis soon, advice on products to bring.

Hello everyone-

My name is Sarah and I am new on here. I am currently living in the USA and moving to Addis Ababa some time in September and will be staying there for 1-2 years. I am in the process of getting ready to move; honestly, I don't know what type of "essential products" I need that I might not be able to find there. For those of you who are living in Addis Ababa now, what would you say you'd definitely bring with you? Perhaps your favorite shampoo/conditioner/lotion/curling iron...etc?

Any ideas/advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Sarah

Hello Sarah.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Sarah-

Just saw this post, don't know how I missed it.  Did you move to Addis yet?  I am an American citizen living in Debre Zeit (about 35 mins outside of Addis). 

Jonnett

Hi Sarah,

welcome to addis..

In Addis Ababa there are some supermarkets that provide import thingy (Bambis, safeway, allmart, shoa, novis, fantu), but the problem is the thingy often disappear in the some time in unpredictable. so i give you tip: you should make a stock for daily needs.

Besides, I suggest you to bring personal needs (cloths, medicines, cooking spices typical of your country, etc).

Cheers

Welcome to Ethiopia!!

I would suggest bringing a good potato peeler (sounds weird, but am so happy a brought mine). 

Also I am a big supporter of acidophilus or any other probiotic.  If you have to eat somewhere a little dodgy (countryside or in my case relatives house) you can take before eating to reduce risk of stomach problems.  Also, if you do get an infection then its good to take them with antibiotics.

Pretty much everything else you can get here.  I would suggest bringing an unlocked phone and unlocked mobile internet dongle too though, as thy are more expensive here.

Hope you settle in okay.

Thanks,

Matt

It may sound decadently, but what I'm always missing in Ethio is hair shampoo without silicons. The available mostly Chinese or Dubai products make my hair looking fatty.

To avoid this annoying effect I never come to Ethio without silicon free shampoo and conditioner.