Hair loss since moving to Saudi

Hello all,

I have been told this happens to many people when they move here because of the water so was hoping some people would have some advice.

I have thin enough hair as it is and it has not started falling out pretty drastically.  What can I do to help prevent it?

All suggestions welcome.

Claire

Quite a common issue here. The most effective way to stop it is to visit a good dematogolist. He/she will advise you to get harmone levels checked up. That is actually the way water/climate/whatever causes hair loss in KSA. I know of tens of cases solved this way.

A cure of vitamine :-)

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Quite a common issue here. The most effective way to stop it is to visit a good dematogolist. He/she will advise you to get harmone levels checked up. That is actually the way water/climate/whatever causes hair loss in KSA. I know of tens of cases solved this way.

can you share some contacts here or PM ?

These are common facts here. Hair loss, turning hair colour from black to white, and more often is diabetes.

Diabetes why?????

Do you know of any good dermatologists in Jeddah?

Also which vitamens should i take?

Okay, here's a much simpler solution:  use only bottled water to wash and rinse your hair and don't wash it every day--every third day will suffice. 

Try this for a month and see if it doesn't improve! :)

Welcome to Saudi!  Dry skin, hair loss, brittle hair and split ends are common here (and other gulf countries) mainly due to desalinated water and to the use of chlorine.
I used to have the same problem while living in Dubai, and I still have it here.
To be totally honest, I haven't done anything about it yet, but one of my friends in Dubai told me that a good solution is to get a shower filter.
I guess you can find them in places like SACO.

I hope it helps!
Good Luck

Its always better to see a "dematogolist", i will check one around here and revert with my experience.
just want to find out if it is covered by insurance...

Take Bio Carotene, it's a supplemet that will surely improve the health of your hair. My mom advise me to take a spoonful of honey everyday as it is rich in Zinc which is also good for the hair. I also take fish oil.

Other tips: Massage your hair before going to bed or brush it as many times as you could until you notice your scalp gets oily. The oil helps strengthen the hair.

I've been here for 4 years now. Men are more susceptible to hair loss and I must say I am happy with my hair.

I hope these work for you too.

Hello,

Yes, I experienced the exact same thing as you...I bought myself a Water Purifier for Shower and that seemed to have slowed down the breakage and fallin ...etc

use Minoxidil Spray x TDS locally on scalp for 2 months and ul see the difrence yourself. Regards

Hello Claire,

I can recommend Blu water filters.

i use Minoxildil it is not a miracle but after 6 months it is better + vitamins

iGrow Hair Rejuvenation Light-Therapy Helmet

Men and women suffering from thinning, damaged, or unhealthy hair may regain the flourishing locks of their youth with help from this iGrow light-therapy device, which is shaped like a hockey helmet for full-scalp coverage. The device's 30 LED lights and 21 lasers combine to spur cellular activity, which subsequently promotes hair regrowth, thickens strands, and repairs damage caused by chemicals in hair products. During 20- to 25-minute treatments, users can pass the time by listening to music through the iGrow's padded, on-ear headphones with an iPod/MP3-player interface. The device's lightweight design is also easy on necks, unlike a gold chain with a grandfather clock attached to it.

http://img.grouponcdn.com/deal/rUKbSmY6CLpskfpt6Hyp/ag-960x582/v1/t954x610.jpg

:blink:

I am sorry to know that you are enduring sudden hair loss.

Life-changing events such as moving to another culture, especially one that is so different than a democratic western society can cause hair loss. If you go to a dermatologist they will tell you the following:
1.Your sudden hair loss is probably due to stress of living in another environment.
2.When someone is under stress, hair can go into the telogen (fall-out) phase. Telogen effluvium is a very common hair loss problem that can occur up to three months after a stressful event, such as moving here to KSA and working under stress.
3.After the initial hair loss, your hair should grow back soon yet with some people this takes up to nine months.
4.During this time your body takes a “time-out” from growing hair to concentrate on recovery and healing. As such, hair does not grow as much and some could shed and not grow back right away.
5.Stress affects people differently – some people may develop an ulcer, or have a heart attack, or lose their hair.  What probably has happened is your body has expressed stress through hair loss...which is a normal response. However if this persists I would recommend you see a dermatologist for a proper evaluation to rule out other medical causes. Avoid any extreme forms of dieting diets as improper nutrition and extreme or rapid weight loss can result in hair loss. Since your hair is made of protein, make sure you're getting plenty of protein in your diet. People who suffer from anorexia nervosa or those who undergo extreme weight-loss programs will experience stunted hair growth. Some proteins to consider incorporating into your diets: lean meats such as chicken and turkey, fish, eggs, soy products, beans, and nuts.  You can get these at any supermarkets in the KSA. These foods will help promote healthy keratin production, which are the building blocks of hair. Eat the right kinds of fat. Certain fats are essential to both a healthy lifestyle and healthy hair production.

6. Fats in moderation help maintain healthy hair and skin production.Fats will help you process the vitamins and minerals in your diet that are necessary for healthy hair production, including Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Eat the right kinds of fats. Saturated fats, trans fatty acids, and hydrogenated fats are examples of fats that you should avoid. Omega 3 fats found in marine and plant oils, are good for your hair. For this reason, B-complex tablets containing fish oils are helpful in speeding up the growth of hair follicles. Make sure you're getting enough iron and zinc. Iron and zinc, along with other vitamins, are essential in creating great, healthy hair.
7.Iron is responsible for delivering oxygen to your cells, from the blood in your toes all the way up to your hair follicles. Lean animal meats are one way to get iron, but if you're vegetarian, consider eating beans, lentils, and soy products such as tofu. You can find Tofu  at Hyper Panda. Zinc assists in the repair of your tissues, making sure that the oil glands around your follicles are working in the proper way. Get your zinc by eating oysters, seafoods, toasted wheat germ, roasted pumpkin and squash seeds, dark chocolate and cocoa powder.
8. Get enough vitamin C. Vit. C deficiencies cause can hair that is weak, lusterless, and prone to breakage. Your body uses vitamin C to build collagen, which is crucial in developing hair growth. Vitamin C also assists in breaking down iron, another building block of hair, so maintaining good levels of vit. C is necessary to absorb iron. The body cannot make vit. C on its own. It's therefore crucial that you eat and drink foods that have high concentrations of vit C. Cantaloupe, citrus fruits, broccoli(expensive in KSA), bell peppers, and spinach are all fantastic and great-tasting foods that are packed with vitamin C.  These are all available in Saudi. Because you are loosing your hair consume at least 90 mg/day of Vit. C daily.
9.In the morning try to eat high protein and fresh fruit salad.

Additional tips for you are:

Take care of hair when it's wet. Wet hair is easily damaged.
Exercise well and keep your body fit. This is very important in KSA.Buns bend and break hair, as well. Pony tails are better than buns, but make sure they are loose to avoid stress of hair follicles.

I would recommend you wash your hair every 7-10 days. Meanwhile massage your scalp 2x a day for 5 minutes and use a Vitamin oil (like Indian ladies do), to keep hair soft and nourished. When shampooing it is important to use dissolving shampoo in some warm water before applying as this will make it easier to absorb and rinse out without leaving residue. Don't use chemical related hair products, always use herbals.
Exercise, sleep and protein rich diet are very essential for the rebuilding/maintaining your hair. (Exercise: jogging, swimming, cycling ...raises your endorphins). Sleep for 8-10 hours each day and if you have a bath try to have a lukewarm bath before you go to bed.

STAY AWAY FROM BLOW DRIERS and HOT SHOWERS.

I wish you the best of luck. If you have any more enquires, feel free to email me.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

I was joking!  That's a pretty C-R-A-Z-Y looking gadget, isn't it?!  Rather resembles a flying saucer.

I was surprized at the freaky look-n-feel .... UFO's headphones :)

Alliecat wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

I was joking!  That's a pretty C-R-A-Z-Y looking gadget, isn't it?!  Rather resembles a flying saucer.

I was joking suggesting it BUT those things ARE for sale.  Seriously!

I guess no one's gonna like it (if you know you'd look like this with 'em on :P)

http://www.impactlab.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/igrow-01.jpg

But I wonder if it does work? :unsure

Life-changing events such as moving to another culture, especially one that is so different than a democratic western society can cause hair loss. If you go to a dermatologist they will tell you the following:
1.Your sudden hair loss is probably due to stress of living in another environment.
2.When someone is under stress, hair can go into the telogen (fall-out) phase. Telogen effluvium is a very common hair loss problem that can occur up to three months after a stressful event, such as moving here to KSA and working under stress.
------------------------------------------------
Dear Suzan,

A huge sum of salary, 20 times more than what you can make back home, tax free, royal- class accommodation...........still you are under stress???

QUITE STRANE REALLY....

No Khober....it is not strange at all as it is very hard for an educated westerner to adapt to the Saudi way of life what with the complete and utter loss of freedom, if you are a woman and the fact that you need a man's permission to do anything as we all know that females are despised and badly treated in this culture and I expect my hair will fall out too when I arrive in the near future!

judyk wrote:

we all know that females are despised and badly treated in this culture

I've always been treated very well.  Please, don't be so pessimistic--it's not as bad as you think :)

faisalkh wrote:

A huge sum of salary, 20 times more than what you can make back home, tax free, royal- class accommodation...........still you are under stress???

I personally don't know anybody making 20X more than they could at home (many of us aren't making *that* much more but you're right, it's tax free) and I certainly don't have royal class accommodation. 

For me, being here is a steady job while waiting for the US economy to get back on its feet, plus it's a learning experience and a bit of an adventure.

Am I getting rich?  :rolleyes:  No.

I am really pleased to hear that 'Alliecat'......as my research has almost put me off coming!

judyk wrote:

I am really pleased to hear that 'Alliecat'......as my research has almost put me off coming!

The culture is restrictive for women, for sure, but I work in an integrated environment and the Saudi men have always been respectful, kind and friendly. 

You'll see there's a big difference between the 'culture' and the people once you're here :)

(I'll liken it to how people around the world hate the American government's policies but like American people.)

hi guys

Permea Plus Anti-Sal Shampoo for hair fall

does it work??

I've been using this stuff lately ( http://www.clearhaircare.com/ ) that I got in the USA but you can buy it through Amazon. 

It has made an incredible difference--I didn't even realize I had hair loss till I started using this noticed how few hairs are now in my brush and and comb after using.

Alliecat wrote:

I've been using this stuff lately ( http://www.clearhaircare.com/ ) that I got in the USA but you can buy it through Amazon. 

It has made an incredible difference--I didn't even realize I had hair loss till I started using this noticed how few hairs are now in my brush and and comb after using.

Free ads are not allowed in the forums. Please post in the classified section :lol:

Ok ok, i know! Befor you do that:

:dumbom: =>TLL <= :dumbom:

TheLegendLeads wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Free ads are not allowed in the forums. Please post in the classified section :lol:

Ok ok, i know! Befor you do that:

:dumbom: =>TLL <= :dumbom:

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

I was just getting even :D

Deleting a reply (in fact replacements) must be pronounced CHEATING!

TheLegendLeads wrote:

I was just getting even :D

Deleting a reply (in fact replacements) must be pronounced CHEATING!

Nope.. because I decided that my reply was itself off-topic lol  so being the good EB citizen that I am, I deleted it!  Rather than being proclaimed a cheater, I would be given an award :P

d_morris79 wrote:

Hair loss seems to be the bane of men and women all over the world. I know a few people who suffer from hair loss problems and they have tried quite a number of products. Some have even went to the surgeon. Have you heard of Ziering hair transplantation? A friend of mine has tried it recently.

Surgery to re-gain hair? :o

*chanting* I promise to take better care of my hair from now on, I promise to take better care of my hair from now on...

modjo wrote:
d_morris79 wrote:

Hair loss seems to be the bane of men and women all over the world. I know a few people who suffer from hair loss problems and they have tried quite a number of products. Some have even went to the surgeon. Have you heard of Ziering hair transplantation? A friend of mine has tried it recently.

Surgery to re-gain hair? :o

*chanting* I promise to take better care of my hair from now on, I promise to take better care of my hair from now on...

It's a transplant, modjo.  Surgeons remove hair from the back of your head, usually down near the neck, and transplant it to the bald areas.  Looks really weird for a while, little plugs planted in rows like ... corn or something lol

Get some Toppik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m570_tNcXbM

The video will blow you away if you haven't seen one before.  And there are dozens of other videos.  Just search for Toppik on youtube.

Toppik Hair Building Fibers are doctor recommended and are made from pure organic Keratin Protein the same protein found in human hair. The microfibers are electro-statically charged to form a firm magnetic bond with your existing hair - concealing thinning and balding in seconds.These all natural fibers last all day, are safe and undetectable, erasing the appearance of thinning hair without damaging chemicals or costly surgery.

Alliecat wrote:

Looks really weird for a while, little plugs planted in rows like ... corn or something lol

Children of the Corn! :o