5 good reasons for living in Tunisia

Hi,

if someone asks you the best reasons for making the choice to live and stay in Tunisia, what would be your top 5?

Thanks in advance for participating,

Julien

Hi Julien,

Sooo your post has been seen 559 times and not one response! lol either people r too lazy.. too busy or perhaps they found too many reasons and wouldnt be able to stop at 5! :P

I am not sure I am the right person to reply as being Tunisian I have been living 6 yrs abroad.. But lets c how wht I can do about this delicate situation :)

Personally, and regardless of what's ongoing (post revolution) or any extremists that DO NOT represent Tunisians.. (To be noted that International media always is seen by an outsider vision that is most of the time debatable..)   

-1- I find Tunisia a place where people are peaceful by nature, social, very curious about other cultures and hence very hospitable (sometimes too hospitable! lol) they have the right balance between the arabic muslim culture and the international open minded spirit... Simply the fusion of modernity and ancient history .. a hystory that goes from Numidians..Phoenicians..Romans..Byzantines...Fatimids...Ottomans..)

-2- It's one of the rare places where you could enjoy beautiful beaches (1148 km coastline), beautiful green Mountains and beautiful and peaceful sahara desert and oasis.. Beauty that attracted many movies producers to fim in Tunisia i.e. Pirates, Starwars I,II &IV, The English Patient, Black Gold...

-3- Business wise,it is real investment opportunity to be seized with the numerous promotion initiatives for foreign Investment (very favourable Investment Incentives Code, skilled and competent labourforce, free zones... A mine of Opportunities for investors who can read beyond articles in the Economist or News flashs that seek to sell their media..

-4- Geographical proximity, about 2 hours flight from the major European and African cities to which Tunisia is connected by several daily flights..

-5- Yummy Cuisine... a melting pot of culinary influences.. well seasoned  food with aromatic herbs and spices from garlic, anise, saffron, cinnamon, caraway and fenugreek to ginger and cloves..not forgetting Tunisia's much-beloved harissa (paste from hot dried chilli peppers, garlic, cumin and olive oil.. Let me name some "To die for Tunisian dishes" the unbelievably succulent lamb sausage (merguez), Tunisia's rough-cut ratatouille (shakshouka) and the national speciality brik (a deep-fried half-moon-shaped egg-and-tuna turnover). Yet it is Tunisia's proud national dish, couscous (coarsely ground semolina), that appears on every menu, cooked with delicately seasoned root vegetables, chickpeas, boneless chicken, peppers and tomato paste in a heavy-bottomed metal couscousiere!! Yum Yum :)

-6- (Bonus)- I am from Tunisia.. I mean.. isnt that a reason enough! :)

Hope this helps.. and hopefully eases my application for Minister of Foreign Affairs!

Hi Julien!

My top 5:

1/ Easy going people specially in popular area: people are wearing whatever that want, nobody cares, you can stop any one in the street, he will be glad to help out

2/ I love going to the souks, the markets, even if it's just for buying fruits and vegetables, it's so nice to see all theses colors, all this life in these places

3/ You can choose between spending your week-end near the beach in Gammarth or Mahdia, or planning a long trip in the south to see the mountain oasis in Tamerza or the famous troglodytes houses in Matmata, take some time to see Tatouine which name inspired Star Wars. I think some landscapes need to be seen, it's like feeling in harmony with nature, like being out of this world, feeling that we're so small. As you may have understood, Tunisia is surely not the country of adrenaline.

4/ There's a good social life, and huge communities of french and Italian. SO it's nice and easy to be involved in a group and try new trendy restaurants, listen to some live music in lounges. You can be updated of the main events by subscribing to the Institut Français de Coopération news letter, or checking on Jetsetmagazine.net

5/ There's a real Historic heritage in Tunisia. Do you know that Dougga has been classified world heritage by UNESCO?