Moving to Nairobi

Hi Friends!
What is the cost of living in Nairobi,if you have a kid and the education and housing is sponsored? Do the apartments have wifi in Nairobi?How is rental properties in Parklands?Is Aga Khan Academy a good school for my child?Please answer!How much exactly you will require per month to live happily for a family of 3?
Awaiting a quick response,
Dew

Hi Dew,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Do not hesitate to view other threads on the Cost of living Nairobi forum.

I hope other members will be able to advise you very soon.

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com

Its hard to explain the cost of living, its quite expensive here. but as for your query, 3000$ for 3 people including stay food and your kid schooling... and more over depends on what kind of living you wil have.. even you can do it with 2000$ a month....

Thanks suribhai!
Could you please tell me more about internet facility and do you have power cuts there? I will be moving from Bangkok and here we get wifi in the apartment for $30 a month hi speed .Do you get Indian channels there in satellite Tv what is cost for it? Bangkok is a very cheap place we make do luxuriously in $1000 a month.Please tell me about the medical facilities and Indian goods like toordaal and atta?are they available there?

Internet facility is good, if you get ZUKU fiber internet to home (2000Ksh-4000), depending on what packages you prefer, they wil provide you high speed internet, wifi box, TV channels(indian channels) and landline telephone. So zuku would me all in one package for you. YOu get all bunch of indian goods in kenya.. Nairobi is called mini india. Do not worry, you get all vegetable, all dal's, spices and all, you also get indian pickles. Compared to india quite expensive but its ok... any more details feel free to ask...

Hi Dew
welcome to Expat.com.

Flat will cost you around- 70 to 80k Ksh 2 bedroom Flat. But need to do lot of R&D. As its good if you get furnished one. As you dont have to go for household stuff seperately.

Zuku is best - with 3400 Ksh you get 10 main Indian channels, Including Sas Bahu Stuff ;) + other english & local channels. its come with Wifi Internet router + landline phone.. speed is good.

Grocery items are expensive but you will get all Indian Food stuff.

I think $1000 wud be enough for food , Internet + Ph + local outing.

Inbox me if any other info required.
[email protected]

Regards
Rohit

Thanks to all of you for your kind responses. Do the apartments have Gym and pool? what will be the rent of apartment if it has Gym and Pool?And how good are Taxi service there?Are they metered ?

Most of them have gym and pool, but they would be expensive. The cheaper and best would be without gym. Depends on how much you would like to pay for the house. As i know apartment with gym and pool would be from 1500$-3000$. Apartment with only pool would be 1000$-2000$. No pool no gym fomr 500$-1500$. It all depends on location and place.
For Taxi they have meter, but its bargain meter, hahaha its always divided by 3. if they say 1000Ksh, you start with 300, and go on,  taxi's are quiet expensive.

Flats with Gyms & Pools are expensive compare to the normal flats, like i told you 70k -80k KSH for 2 BHK Flat now some time you might get the flat with the pool, but generally it will cost you 100k - 150k KSH, again depends on the locality.

Taxis are very expensive, its better you go for second hand local used car which will starts with 3k USD , but you will get the one which runs ;) from 4k USD onwards.

Japan Used car will cost you starting with 7k USD onwards and its depends on the Model & Company.

Cars you can check once you are here..may be you might get a good deal with the local used one like Nisssan or Toyota.

Regards
Rohit

Many Thanks to both Suribhai and Rohit!
It's much appreciated. I am getting a furnished apartment but I don't know whether it has a Gym or a pool.They have given an option of rental home but the allowance is just $750 ,from your mails it seems very low so I may have to bargain that as in Bangkok I can avail a nice flat with both the facilities in just $500. So I thought it should be better.Anyways ,thanks as your quick responses are eyeopeners.

First main thing, you have not been to nairobi, so better check up with location, all places in nairobi are not same. give us your exact location so we can check how secured is that place. MOre over you can also get house for 400$ but dosent mean its a decent location. so have to be careful while choosing the location and house...

May be initially you can get into furnished one provided by the Company, may be you comfortable with that one also, if not thn start your survey while being here then you can shift to the rented one.
Confirm abt the location of your furnished apartment. Tt should be near to your office + Secure + Nearby super Market. wub be an advantage.
Cheers

Thanks Rohit!
That's what I heard!

Hi Rohit!
Would have loved to do that! But I am an expat myself,not living in India right now..Moreover,I am from Mumbai.

ohh ur in Bangkok, No Issues... Ping me once you reach year, vl see u.

code and life here is expsensive

Ask your expat work-colleagues and employers to give you some estimate.

[Moderated]

Hello Dweepari where are you now? in Nairobi or Bangkok?