Coming for a month to check out where to live - help!

In mid November I want to check out places to live in a year or maybe sooner. I want to feel if an area "fits" me and to rent there first while I check out rest of country.  I'm not good with constant heat but would love toucans in my garden and other gorgeous birds.  I don't want to rent for more than $600 and have no pets and am alone.  I'd love to have a view and not be tight in a town, preferably.  How can I easily meet up with expats in person and talk about all I'd need to do to transition to Costa Rica?  Thanks for your help!  I've been traveling like crazy for years and am about ready to make a more permanent decision  :  )
Lisa

Hola Lisa,

I live just outside San Ramon, Alajuela with my daughter and the area we live in sounds like what you might be looking for.  We have parrots in our yard everyday and Toucans most of the time.  Also have monkeys, ant eaters, well, have seen one, and many other great animals.  Happy to show you around if you're interested.  Nope, I don't want or ask for anything in return and I'm not trying to sell you property.  Let me know if you're interested.  - Dave

OOPS my long response to you just diapeared into cyber space :(  I have lived 10 mins from Lovely HEREDIA for 21 years  so ... any questions contact  me I love our area NOT a Gringo Gulch area (although many here hang out ...Nor with high prices and much more chance of learning Spannish ( and prices are lower ..I have 2 charming apts ..which I rent out  but not my reason for responding ..They are usually occupies anyway... Just be sure to check out the Heredia hiulls area...Minutes from town but away from noise , Lovely HEREDIA Area names City of the flowers Good Luck if you are here and need advice ..just ask :)Cheers Deb