Living in Afghanistan

You are living in Afghanistan, or you used to live in Afghanistan.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Afghanistan?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in Afghanistan?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Afghanistan?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Do you live in Afghanistan? 
If so, what do you wish you had brought with you when you moved from the USA and now cannot find in Afghanistan?

I am trying to figure out a going away present for a close (male) friend and his wife who are being transferred to Kabul.  Please let me know what you think?  Thanks!

It depends greatly on your location in Afghanistan and the company/role you will be filling here.

If you are working in conjunction with ISAF, the UN or other foreign military forces, then it is likely that you will have some form of access to the PX, NAAFI type of shops.  These are good for your basic clothing requirements, toiletries and basic food/refreshments.  Some stock a range of electronic goods.

If they will be living in Kabul, then they have access to a number of shops, some of which stock western goods (at a price).

There is a basic packing list on my blog http://andydavis710.blogspot.com/

A good pair of sunglasses or desert type boots might make a nice present....as would a decent digital camera (or a good memory card for one).

Another really good idea is to provide them with a big stock of movies and PDF books on a big portable hard-drive. It's easy to transport and will certainly provide some entertainment.

Great suggestions there.  Thanks.  I will be scoping out your packing list, as well.

When i came to afghanistan,i stayed in kaf for 2 weeks then went to dwyer camp,of which kaf is very live coz there is Body walk,too many companys,shops and many people.While in dwyer,it's somehow boring though we have px,free food in dfac it's a marine base with tight security and very safe.We dont use our money,almost everything is free ie food,accommodation,toilets,bathroom,apart form PX and green coffee shop.It's pleasure to work with usa gorvernment,they are kind,supportiveorganized & diplomatic