What are the costs of life to live, in Kibera slum

What are the costs of life to live,
in Kibera

for a person (man)
Simple economic Room, (no electricity, no running water, no bathroom, no nothing )
cost of food, the most basic in Kibera
transport (matatu)
cost of drinking water for 1 person
spending time lucky or charcoal for cooking¡.
cost of public toilet¡,
and well general costs Kibera

the idea is to go live in Kibera for about six months aprox.,
like a true Real citizen kenyan, of that place and possibly,
to buy a small mini-store, (as for example to sell carbon
or food or meet)
to see and get to know the people, and to live as they live,
and understanding of the people of Kenya customs and world.
and lend some Swahili,
(I do not want to pay $$$$$ to much dollars to an .ONG, to give me one a No real experience ;/, I do it on my own , yes)

thanks for reading and possibly reply message.

Hi pinguinoma,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

You may check out other threads on Nairobi forum as well.

@pinguinoma....come braced to live in the slums....Life is hard but if you really wanna exprienced...>Karibu Kenya....

cuidate

I have a friend who decided to live in Kibera slums when he was doing his research for a project.  He said it costed him Kshs. 1000-2000 for rent, for a room, he built his own bathroom because he didn't want to share with the rest.  He bought his food at an eatery there, he spent about Kshs. 100 a meal or less.  If you want to cook it's even less for a meal because groceries in Kibera are much cheaper than in the supermarkets.  One thing you have to be careful about is your safety.  Make sure that you have good security because Kibera is a slum, it's not the safest place to live in Nairobi.  I hope that helps.

Wawuda wrote:

I have a friend who decided to live in Kibera slums when he was doing his research for a project.  He said it costed him Kshs. 1000-2000 for rent, for a room, he built his own bathroom because he didn't want to share with the rest.  He bought his food at an eatery there, he spent about Kshs. 100 a meal or less.  If you want to cook it's even less for a meal because groceries in Kibera are much cheaper than in the supermarkets.  One thing you have to be careful about is your safety.  Make sure that you have good security because Kibera is a slum, it's not the safest place to live in Nairobi.  I hope that helps.

__

Build your own bathroom
that's a good idea.¡¡

The price between 1000-2000
is for a room is ok, but:

-With electricity and potable water au /
no electricity and no running water ?

Actually, I do not cook very well
but the restore will be fine for me.

security yes :

so you means that I always carry a gun
for example.:

- a knife or /
- a gun
for protections, please more details.
Do not you understand?

asante sana :)

Mo'nique M'hoyah wrote:

@pinguinoma....come braced to live in the slums....Life is hard but if you really wanna exprienced...>Karibu Kenya....

cuidate

Asante sana, señora ( miss ) : Mo'nique M'hoyah

I've spoken to someone who lives in Kibera.  He has said that he pays Kshs 2000 for rent, and Kshs 500 for electricity. He says that on average his monthly expenses are about Kshs 4500-5000 and where he lives there's security.  It's illegal to carry a gun without a license in Kenya.  Don't walk around at night in Kibera, don't use deserted paths and avoid some areas at night.  If you want to eat in a restaurant in the vicinity a meal costs about  Kshs 50 upwards on average.  He says that he has water in his home but other houses may not have water, so you may have to buy water.  A can of water is Kshs. 5.  Using a matatu/minibus to the city center costs about Kshs. 20-30, I think.  I hope this helps you.

de nada @ pinguinoma....welcome to Kenya

Wawuda wrote:

I've spoken to someone who lives in Kibera.  He has said that he pays Kshs 2000 for rent, and Kshs 500 for electricity. He says that on average his monthly expenses are about Kshs 4500-5000 and where he lives there's security.  It's illegal to carry a gun without a license in Kenya.  Don't walk around at night in Kibera, don't use deserted paths and avoid some areas at night.  If you want to eat in a restaurant in the vicinity a meal costs about  Kshs 50 upwards on average.  He says that he has water in his home but other houses may not have water, so you may have to buy water.  A can of water is Kshs. 5.  Using a matatu/minibus to the city center costs about Kshs. 20-30, I think.  I hope this helps you.

thank you very much, this information is very useful me.

You're welcome Pinguinoma