How much should a one or two bedroom appt/house cost?

Hello all

We are an Ethiopian/Australian couple planning on moving to Namibia/Windhoek in a matter of two months. We would highly appreciate it if anyone could guide us through about where the best/safest suburbs are, what accommodation options there are and may be how much we should expect to pay for a one or two bedroom appt or town house. We will be moving for a minimum of six months starting from mid-July.
Thanks
Ash

Hello Ash and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Do not hesitate to browse through the section Housing in Namibia, it may help you.
You may also post an advert there.:)

Harmonie.

Hi there

I am right here to help you
well cost of living in Namibia is relatively low.

a 2 bedroom apartment can cost you from 5000-8000 depending on if the apartment is furnished. but apartments are hard to find in town so tell me exactly when you're coming so i can make arrangements. I would advise you to apply for a holiday visa FIRST and then you can apply for a temporary residence visa. it is much easier. if there's something  else you can ask.
cheers

Hello Dear Hericles
Thank you for your kind reply.I have, however, found the price range a bit more than I had expected. I have been trying to look at different options of housing within Windhoek. It seems that we could get a well furnished apartment attended weekly with all linen provided for about four to five thousand ND. But this is only an online survey and I should trust someone like you who is on the ground.

I also really appreciate your offer to help us arrange all the travel stuff, but I will be honest with you that we will not be needing to do this through anyone else. My wife has got an employment with an international school in Windhoek and they will be taking care of all the visa and residency stuff. As to the exact dates of arrival, we don't know yet. We are still waiting for the school to notify us of the latest on our travel arrangements.

Back to the housing issue, what would you say a one bedroom house (it could be a normal Namibian compound or an apartment) will cost us. We are very down to earth and are not looking at a fancy accommodation. We live in Africa (of course, I am an African) and we are pretty much used to the African way of life.

Thanks.

Gathering from my experience in Windhoek is that I would suggest you find accommodation once in Windhoek, seeing that your partner is going there for work purposes, ask them to arrange you temporary accommodation for a week or two while you are settling in with windhoek life ect and also find a place.Its pretty easy, you can use local newspapers classifieds for accommodation.

will you be driving? if not then find accommodation close to the school, I think the areas close by are Hochland Park,Acedemia and Rocy Crest.Taxi fare can be expensive in windhoek, it all works on weather there is a taxi rang ect.

Arranging anything over the Internet these days is way too risky.

Enjoy your stay in Windhoek

Dear Ebonita

Thank you for sharing your experience. We have at last come to the decision that it is better to do exactly as you said -handle things on the ground!

As to the driving, we are not sure which transport option is better fit for our life style and financial circumstances. As everything else, I guess we will leave this until we get there and get used to how things work over there.

Thank you for your support.
Ash

Hello

We are an Angolan couple planning on moving to Namibia/Windhoek in a matter of 6 months. We would highly appreciate it if anyone could guide us through about where the best/safest suburbs are, what accommodation options there are and may be how much we should expect to pay for 3 or 2 bedroom appt or town house. We will be moving for a minimum of six months starting from Jan so will waiting for your answer soon
Thanks
Pedro

Hi. I'm assigned to help people here. These topics have been covered already by me, please click here to read about accomodation
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=210759

And here to read about the safest areas and some tips:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=100672

For additional topics about Namibia click here
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=116

Enjoy your stay.