Register funds

Hello ExPats,
I am planning to send money to Colombia and need to know what the cost is to register the funds with Colombian government.
Anybody have information about this?
Thanks

Hello kviereck.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be helped by other members.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Sorry a bit late I know... if you have already completed this perhaps you could let us know!

I am not sure what you mean by register the money! Is the money being sent to someone other than yourself, in which case they are the ones, who have to prove where the money came from before it will be available for use in Colombia.

If you are registered in Colombia, and have a Bank Account here, you only have to prove that the money is yours to transfer, and from where it originated.

For example, I bring in my UK Police Pension every month, when I started doing this, I supplied Bancolombia with  my documents showing I was a Police pensioner, and in receipt of a Pension, extracts from my UK Bank to show the amount received there, and extracts from the Company I use to transfer the money. This provided a chain of evidence, and they were happy, and did not require translations.

I am shortly to bring money into the Country from the sale of my house in Spain, I have cleared this with the Bank, due to the amount involved, and all they require is a copy of the deed of sale issued at the Notary in Spain, to prove the money has been paid to me.

One hint about importing money to Colombia, if you can find a Company in your home country that use another Financial Institution (Not a Bank) here as a clearing house, and they put the money into your account by Electronic transfer, the Bank make no charges at this end... Saves a Bob or two!