Racism in Egypt

Im kind of getting sick and tired of dealing with racism in Cairo. I think I reached my boiling point yesterday at Cafe Mex in Heliopolis. I was sitting with a friend of mine and 2 guys in arabic said "since when do slaves come to a classy place like this?"  I honestly didnt know what to say so i just stayed quite. But this is happening way too much here. When people look at me they dont know that Im egyptian and I speak arabic (family is originally from aswan, but i was born and raised in the states). Its just so annoying and stressful to be dealing with this almost every single day. Is there anyone else out there that is going through the same thing?

Sorry for this situation, but even if you are not Egyptian, no one have the right to speak in this way, no matter what, we are all humans and we are all one!!

Shame on them!!!

I'm really sad to hear that such situations are happening in Egypt, I can't even find the words to explain or comment on what you have just said as it sounds completely unusual to me.

If you allow me, I would say that you have the key to stop all of this hassle, and instead of complaining about it, stop it to happen again. Such people say whatever they say while you are busy talking in English to some friends. Have you tried replying in Arabic to what they are saying?!! or Have you tried showing them that you understand what they say?!!! If not, try it, it might work; even if it didn't work it might get some attention from the people around, who may stand up for help and give you some support.

The idea is not to put yourself into a fight, its about stopping such people doing such acts; not only with you but also with anyone else.

Stay Safe and All the Best :)

really sorry to hear that, I can't imagine what you went through I had a similar situation with my friend she is Jamaican, three kids in Harry's Pub really annoyed her with words and shit, she could understand them cuz she spoke arabic, fun part was when we left she cursed them in arabic and you had to see the look on their faces LOOOOOOOOOL!!! but really it is okay, just ignore it

Hmmm......fortunately I don't speak Arabic. So i don't care with what they say even if they do it in front of me. But unfortunately, in some cases I can feel it, that something wrong with their behavior. Not all of course. But a lot ! It seems that it's relating about skin colour. Just enjoy, sis. More you think about it, more you get frustrations.

Egypt is an African country, since when they discriminate between dark and darker? This is really annoying. Just do as VidoDido says and try not to get yourself into a fight.

Ill be honest... I suffer from racism ALL THE TIME out here.
I'm Black American, and I dont understand Arabic all that well...
But I definitely can tell people are racist.
Its like EVERYONE has an attitude.

No one likes to do their jobs because they feel as if they are superior than I am because I am black, and that they shouldn't have to serve me in line, or drive me around in their taxi.

Everyone in the stores feel that its ok to just step in front of me in line.
Ive had rocks, fruit, and everything else thrown at me on many occasions while walking down the street minding me own business... even on the metro.

The people here condescend on me all the time as well as make weird noises, shout things out from their cars, harrass me on the street and in stores. Its never ending.

Racism is alive and well, and its world wide.

You are not the only one who suffers from this issue... But luckily you can understand what they are saying. So just tell them something in Arabic, theyll stop acting so pretentious.

To be honest... Being that you're Egyptian... You just wont be able to understand.

I would not come on a post and lie for any reason.

Ive experienced racism in the states as well as out here.
I'm not the only black American that I know that has these issues.

For me, being that I'm American, I'm able to deal with it a little better than lets say the "Africans" (such as the Nigerians, Somalians, Ethiopians, Sudanese) because at least when I'm dealing with educated Egyptians, they can discern my American accent and tell that I'm not the same.

From my personal observation, Ive noticed that the African races get treated like dirt and they are more passive and allow the Egyptians to treat them that way because of the fear of being deported.

I personally don't stand for it when I can.

But whether you "find it difficult to believe" or not.... My experience is real and true.

Its funny how you didn't have a hard time believing the story of the Egyptian American girl who created this post, but you immediately discredit my experiences... All too familiar.

And by the way, I know who the original Egyptian are and they are def not of any Arab decent. (The Original Egyptians didn't not come from either of the 12 princes of Ishmael.)

It doesn't take "scientists" to read history books and trace genealogy and parallel it with geology.

I'm sure if I told you who the original Egyptians were, you find that "difficult to believe" as well. (Research Shem, Ham and Japhet)

Oooh! Im feeling really sad reading ur stories. But I really do believe you. Im french, white and living here in Egypt since 3 years. I noticed all this racism about black people from the very begining. It just degusts me.
When I talk about that to Egyptian, they just denied it. Only one egyptian girl told me that it is true, egyptian are racist.
Anyway, this country makes me sick. And it makes me terrtibly feeling bad that i have to stay here and raise my kids here!

Lots of courage to everyone of you, from the bottom of my heart <3

Glad you can see and admit the truth Salma.

Franckly, it is abvious! If i knew you before, i would certainly advice you to not come to Egypt because of that.
I am feeling sad for you. Really!
In an other hand, not joyful aswell, white foreigners girls are bad treated aswell. They are not "good girl" for them, but they can succed where black people will not. In a big compagny for exemple.
Pff, sometimes i feel this country hopeless case, really! We wish Egypt all the good, but the only thing they do is to destroy everything.

EDIT: What I forgot to mention is that my egyptian friend has a turkey husband. She is really sad and desapointed about egyptian seeing how they treat him. She told me that Egyptian are racist against every other nation.
But I do feel it is nothing compare black people here in Egypt. Maybe I should not say it to not make u sad, but I want every egyptian reading me to know, that we know that most of them are racist and it is a huuuuge problem! And let me tell u something "Allah will never change the condition of Egyptian untill the egyptian does not change thermselves"

Thank you everyone for your replies :)
Today at work when i was telling my co-worker what happened ( my co-worker is an Egyptian woman in her mid 30's) she thought i was lying! She said "this never happened before, there is no racism in Egypt!  im sure they were talking about something else and or you misunderstood" I asked her why in the world would I lie about something like this and just walked away because I didn't want to have problems with her.
Its just so funny that people here dont want to recognize/ accept that there is racism here! I honestly have never dealt with racism back in the states, never ever!  Its sad that I feel this way here, I moved here so I can appreciate and love my country more, but dealing with all this here is making it so hard.

That's really sad! I know that you are not lying... and i know that people from Aswan ( I looooooove Aswan!) Or Nubian are suffering from their colour.

I remembered something. I was saying that i love the black skin colour, and a guy from Cairo told me he would never want his daughter to marry a black. When i asked why, he said because they come from slaves and it will be too hard for her to live with that. Her live will be poor!
Of course, nothing will change with such mind!
Im raising my child with a total other mind. She is half egyptian.. I love seeing her play with black people and to love them. I always take beautiful pictures, because i want her to have many good memories, coz i know that this society could build her bad mind and thoughts. I would die if my daughter become racist. But i don't think she will be coz she's 24hours with me, and im not like this. Al haaaaaaamdulilaaaaaah!

there are many very dark arabs.. i dont understand the black thing. and i didnt see it happen either. there is racism and discrimination everywhere. and angry people

layla1313, i know racism and discrimination is everywhere and it is definitely happening here in Egypt. Have you ever seen or heard the things said to the Sudanese/Nubian people here in Egypt? It's horrible and disgusting. I will be sure that the next time this ever happens to me again, I will stand up for myself and respond to whoever says anything that is even a bit racist. Please need to stop being so closed minded and need to know how to treat people with respect.

It never fails to surprise me that people who aren't black live in such a state of denial.

Sorry for that.. First of all here we are all humans, your reputation and your interaction with people the social life is the method of evaluation your classy.
Note: you have to choose your company very well.

There is definitely racism in Egypt. It's not just for black foreigners either though. It happens even with dark skin Egyptians. Egyptians discriminate between each other. I personally know many incidents even in marriages and family of racism because maybe one of the spouses are black so the fmaily hates that person.

It's not just racism though there's a lot of other discrimination. "Liberals" discriminate against "Islamists" and "Islamists" discriminate against "liberals".

Even between the classes. Where I live there happens to be a "falahi" ("peasent") family who were good with their money and were able to come up. One day a man from the building next to me saw the peaseant man and was very rude and cruel to him just because he was a farmer. I don't know how anyone can be rude towards these people, don't we all eat. We'd starve without these people.

I've lived here 6 years and can say I barely have an Egyptian friend. No offense to Egyptians ---my family is Egyptian by the way

i agree with you. I am just saying it happens everywhere. there are mean people everywhere. and muslims should understand since we are also discriminated against. i think its lack of manners.they will say anything to anyone that they can point out.. color, weight.. gender..nationality, but again its also like that in the states. yes in egypt i have seen really disrespectful things to people and not nice. no, i have not heard it but i also cant speak arabic and i dont pay attention to people just where im going. and i dont look anyone in the eye for them to say anything.i dont allow them in my world :-D i see them as uneducated and broke.

miss_aquarius wrote:

layla1313, i know racism and discrimination is everywhere and it is definitely happening here in Egypt. Have you ever seen or heard the things said to the Sudanese/Nubian people here in Egypt? It's horrible and disgusting. I will be sure that the next time this ever happens to me again, I will stand up for myself and respond to whoever says anything that is even a bit racist. Please need to stop being so closed minded and need to know how to treat people with respect.

Welcome to my world.

I have lost contact with two cousins and a close friend because they kept on joking about the Sudanese people (due to their skin color). I gave them an ultimatum and they did not take it seriously

Making fun of people because of their skin color indicates poor taste, lack of education and shows how low-life that person can be

I am not white, I am a dark-tan (not dark enough to be considered black by blacks, not pale enough to be considered white by whites) .... so you can imagine my limbo over here (being subject to racism by racist people of both colors LOL)

@Hi Layla, for sure u did not notice that, because Im sure racism is upon ur imagination. Also really, if black people can feel and notice bad behaviour more than us it is because it directly touch them. If you are not touched by these things it will maybe be had to get it.
Actually, I directly noticed it because i was really curious to know egyptian culture. I noticed at first that they are always poor. I didnt dsee wealthy black people but if they are expat of course. Then the guy from cairo told me he didn't want his daughter to marrya black, so i started to ask a lot of questions.
Then i've noticed exactly like the english teacher, that white people never marry black people. In france white people die to marry black people!
And i noticed that we cannot find black people in any club. But if they are nany. Of course, they are too poor to have a card for a club.
I noticed also that no one of my relatives have black people as friend.
And when i started to understood arabic, ooooh itwas terrible! Their talking is degusting!!
Look, try to think to all what we are saying, look around you, and you will see and come back to us saying we are right.
But maybe in Hurghada it is different, maybe it is enough open minded. I don't know. I never visited Hurghada.

@ExpatEnglishTeacher, yes youare totally right, it also happen between high and low class.
I have a friend of mine which is upper middle class, but none egyptian. She married an egyptian which is from low class. They are deeply in loce, and i know, faithful and serious to each other. Everybody made fun at her. "Oh my God, but she married a balady guy!! Ahahahaha!"
I also know someone else that treat low class very badly and with a such arrogant way.

@Miss-aquarius, i thank u sooooo much to have open this post and to have talk with courage about what you are living here although it is YOUR COUNTRY. Because I must raise my daughter here. And im totally affraid! I want all this to change! More we will talk about it and force the egyptian to face their own behaviour. More things goona change. Im SURE!
Before, 25 years ago, there was such a racism in france. And people that are directly concern by this problem, started to talk a lot about this. We had a great campaign
In france we have many black people , and things changed a LOOOOOOT! Now we are mixed and all together. For sure there is still racism but few compare before. The concern now is an other subjext which is islam.
Be sure Miss aquarius that i will fight with u! And i love Nubian people!

One time I was invited to a birthday's party of my son's friend. The mom knows me but didn't introduce me to her family. The whole time in the party I was alone, no body talked to me. I'm not a shy person; I said hello to everybody and tried to make conversation, but no respond. So painful. I don't dress like a poor, anyway. I also speak many languages except Arabic. They are from educated and wealthy family so I'm sure that they can speak one of the language I do. One thing that my skin color and face can't hide my race.
Again I was invited by another friend. In fact, I've got same situation. Now, halas ! I don't want to go anymore to any invitation. Sorry. I also stop to say hello to parents at school. Only to foreigners that I know very well I talk to.
When I moved here, I appreciated so much the culture and the people. But well..... I want to be happy and I also deserve to enjoy the life. You know what I mean.
I've been many countries. I know that racism does exist everywhere. But so far, it's here the worst. However, all Egyptians insist saying they are not racists. LOL

:'( Very very sad. It degusts me...
I swear, we should do something. We must act! Thats too terrible! Enough is enough!

miss_aquarius !!!

I am Egyptian and millions of "sorry" word for what happened to you that night would not be enough

So I am Egyptian and to let you know how much I am sorry I am telling you this Egyptian expression  "your shoes on my head"

and your shoes are cleaner and more pure than those persons you are talking about .. they dont represent Egypt in any aspect still even if there are many of them.

I am so sorry

Salaam,

actually, i was always defending that egyptian were not racist against me, but reading you made me remember, that in various ocations i was with the egyptians, someone black passed by and they did laugh or comment negatively.

Courage to all the affected, and just think that the offenders are just a bunch of ingorants.

Maa salaama

Aoa, Im so sorry to hear all this, I have moved two years ago and have experienced racism here, but i would like to say one thing, racism is everywhere, its natural that when u dont understand a local language and speak a foreign language, u get attention from people around. some take it negatively and make fun. and some educated and people with ettiquettes come forward and help u out if they know the language u speak...I dont understand arabic, but since we can write and read so we try to use google translate, and try to speak arabic as much as we can during our shoppings, at times we have faced many issues, even its like to get something delivered at our house, we faced many language issues (At times it seemed that the problems were created on purpose)just to make fun of the expats...but i tell u the country i belong to, there too it happens...its just that its everywhere, ppl make fun, humiliate the expats...even in states, i have seen some probs like this...my muslim cousins do hijab and have faced racism...but i think still they are much better in a way that they know the basic manners and ettiquettes. any ways just ignore,the more u bother about it, the more it gets fussy...so i suggest, ignore this, try to find happiness in the simplest of things, thats the secret of happiness...find it in the early morning sunshine, ur work, a song, prayer, everything that you have...and cherish every blessing you have...have a good day

Just read those articles, then all of you including Egyptians will be sure that there are racism in Egypt!!

http://www.bikyamasr.com/39791/battling … -in-egypt/

http://egyptmonocle.com/EMonocle/op-ed-racism-in-egypt/http://www.bikyamasr.com/1483/bm-opinio … wn-racism/

wishing that one day, we wont deny what we really are!!

thanks and be safe.

Guys ... I had to remove my last post as it doesn't make any sense after what you said.

Being away from Egypt for some time made me unable to understand what you suffer from.

You just made it clear for me that we have to add another problem to the many more other problems we have in the Egyptian society nowadays, which we have to fight it and sooner or later have to be sorted out.

Don Moe, you're so wise. Acceptance makes big difference. That's right, racism exists everywhere. By denying that there's no problem of racism in Egypt how can we solve it ? What should be solved if there's no problem ? Despite of those inconvenient situations, I still keep my positive thinking. The life must go on. And I would like to share with you my happiness today. I went to souk this afternoon. I entered into 2 shops. Like usually, I didn't expect that people – shop keepers- will be nice and helpful. But amazingly, today it was really special and my good day. They were so friendly, asked what I was looking for and answered my questions politely. Wonderful ! Did they read this poste ?? I hope that Egypt will be more and more comfortable to live in. We don't want to criticize for nothing.

I basically think it's more stereotyping than racial profiling..      Many Egyptians think of Blondies as rich stupid bimbos regardless of nationality. That seems racist too, no?

I would also like to reflect that the Egyptian people have been oppressed for years by foreigners, royals, colonialists, revolutionary officers up till the last regime. I find they need to show they are not that weak or 2nd rate by demonstrating superiority whenever and wherever they can. This can be as futile as bragging about the Arab's best soccer team or more hurtful as your incidents in a cafe or the metro. I know Egyptians with black Egyptian friends who would say the exact stupid comments if they think a foreigner doesn't speak Arabic.

Please do not take this as any form of excuse. I am just sharing my thoughts after years of living in Cairo.

This resume is too simple. Im sorry, but Im really not convince about what you're thinking.
In france we have the same stereotip about bimbo but i can say there's racism, and it is true. But i never heard such comments in all my life than what I could heard here in Egypt. That is sooo violent!
And as long as i know even during the colonialsm periods, black people have been bad treated.

And to tell u, really i feel ur comment too easy. I don't think that someone else with a beautiful black skin would take the situation as easier as you are telling it! And although im not black skin, i feel ur comment hurting because i can at least try to feel and understand what Miss Aquarius, MrLeavel and the others explained. Their living, their feelings. It is really hurting me!! Wallah al 3adhim, it is!

Salma, I am puzzled what you are confused about. What I am saying are facts and offer my opinion only, you can have any opinion you like. :)

And when I was explaining, I did not take into consideration how others would feel, as much as saying what I think is the real issue. Sorry if you feel it is difficult. It is.

However, two main constituents of the modern Egyptian come from Egyptian heritage and Islamic heritage. I recall that Bilal ibn Rabah and Anwar Sadat are 2 very respected black figures on today's street in Egypt. We have yet to see a black saint or president in France. I don't know any Egyptian with a race problem. Perhaps the problem is xenophobia? It just means perceptions of race and political correctness are not the same everywhere.

well most of European  and Americans do more (moderated: offensive post) than that however i dont like when someone do such thing ..but you better dont care about it..

Hmmmmm...In most cases the people who are the most RACIST are the ones who deny.. or overlook it..

Racism has been around for years, and one would think in this day and age that it wouldn't be that big of a deal whether a person is Red, Green, or Yellow, but obviously it is still present today, which is quite sickening.. considering we have so many other things in this world going on, who has time to hate someone because of their skin??!!!! SMH

Reybabe85 wrote:

Hmmmmm...In most cases the people who are the most RACIST are the ones who deny.. or overlook it..

Racism has been around for years, and one would think in this day and age that it wouldn't be that big of a deal whether a person is Red, Green, or Yellow, but obviously it is still present today, which is quite sickening.. considering we have so many other things in this world going on, who has time to hate someone because of their skin??!!!! SMH

we have alot of black egyptian i dont understand how that could be

MishoElmasri wrote:

miss_aquarius !!!

I am Egyptian and millions of "sorry" word for what happened to you that night would not be enough

So I am Egyptian and to let you know how much I am sorry I am telling you this Egyptian expression  "your shoes on my head"

and your shoes are cleaner and more pure than those persons you are talking about .. they dont represent Egypt in any aspect still even if there are many of them.

I am so sorry

what is that all about ? u been there or what :D

Mohamed El Sayed wrote:

No,he has not been there,but he feel bad about the situation.unlike you.

I'm white and i had more problems with racist people(neighbours) than you can think of...God will not save their a$$ even if they pray everyday..Those people has 2 faces and both of em will burn in hell...
sorry for harsh words XD

dmx87 wrote:
Mohamed El Sayed wrote:

No,he has not been there,but he feel bad about the situation.unlike you.

I'm white and i had more problems with racist people(neighbours) than you can think of...God will not save their a$$ even if they pray everyday..Those people has 2 faces and both of em will burn in hell...
sorry for harsh words XD

who said that i didnt feel bad about it ? but hey where you live in egypt ?

indobe wrote:

Don Moe, you're so wise. Acceptance makes big difference. That's right, racism exists everywhere. By denying that there's no problem of racism in Egypt how can we solve it ? What should be solved if there's no problem ? Despite of those inconvenient situations, I still keep my positive thinking. The life must go on. And I would like to share with you my happiness today. I went to souk this afternoon. I entered into 2 shops. Like usually, I didn't expect that people – shop keepers- will be nice and helpful. But amazingly, today it was really special and my good day. They were so friendly, asked what I was looking for and answered my questions politely. Wonderful ! Did they read this poste ?? I hope that Egypt will be more and more comfortable to live in. We don't want to criticize for nothing.

Thanks indobe.

To solve it now is hard as already most of us will deny the truth that there are racism in Egypt.

Meanwhile, he/she will still act in a funny way concerning this issue between friends, but won't ever face the truth in front strangers.

Now we all should start teaching our kids the Value of Others, respect all kind of people no matter what is the color, country, religion or even the size!

I think it would be dumb for anyone to deny racism. What we differ on is how to react or analyzing reasons for it.

If I may say so as well, I think black people should try to integrate more into society, not wall up against this stupidity. To be honest, when I was outside Egypt for a long time, I had no problem having black friends. I sometimes feel black people in Egypt are wary of making Egyptian friends(from experience!) For that matter, all foreigners. Which kind of makes you think of reverse racism against Egyptians as well (?)

Anyways, I love all people and would love to make friends of all colours and affiliations EXCEPT Justin Bieber fans.