Immigration to USA questions.....

I'm an American citizen living in Australia for the past 6+yrs. Since living here, I've married an Australian. Since the birth of my grandchild in the USA last May, we have decided to move to the States to be with family. I was of the understanding that it won't be too difficult for my husband to move to the States after I have done the Immigration applications. However, recently, he was told that he would not be allowed to live in the States by an acquaintance who seems to think he is knowledgeable. I have already been on the USA Immigration site, and it didn't appear to be too difficult. Can anyone enlighten us on how hard it will really be? We would really appreciate all the insight we can get. I would hate to sell everything we have and then find that he won't be allowed to stay. Thanks so much for any help.....

Hello Mabrael and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to download the United States PDF guide, this may help.;)

Harmonie.

Thanks so much Harmonie, your suggestion was extremely helpful. Now we atleast know where to start. We really appreciate it!!

Hi Mabrel,

Just wondering, what happened to the immigrant visa application for your husband that you said you had done?  I believe you can easily apply, for him, to have an immigrant status once he enters the country.

Nimfa

Well Nimfa, for some reason I missed the part about being able to apply for him while I am still living in Australia. I was of the understanding that I had to be in the USA to apply, and I won't be leaving Australia until March. Luckily, I re-read the Immigration paperwork and have sent off my application last week. And I hope it is as easy as you say...but we will still have to sell our house here, once he is approved.

Good to know Mabrael and there shouldn't be no problem with approval, you guys should be here in a few, good luck ... keep me posted.

Thanks Nimfa. I'm assuming it will be a long process, but well worth it! My husband's paperwork is now at the National Visa office, awaiting further progression. It's ok, because I need to get back to the States and start working so that I can sponsor him financially.

Thanks for all your support!!
Marsha

How is it going Marsha? Hope everythin's going smoothly especially the immigration stuff...