Apostille Acceptance

In processing for residency, can you totally avoid having to use the local CR consolates in the US if you get all required documents appostillized?

Has anyone done this yet?

Streamlining is good and I would be interested in your experiences.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill, where can I find info on Apostile Acceptance so I can learn more? Thanks

The Costa Rican Foreign Ministry is issuing the Apostille for birth certificates or criminal records from foreign countries. In the past one visited the consulate to get these two documents approved, it is not necessary anymore.

Actually, since CR signed on to the Hague Treaty, they can accept Apostillized documents, which means you do not have to take certified / notarized documents to the CR consulate in your area.  Each US state has an organization that does the Apostillization of documents, for a price.

I am curious as to just which documents have to get apostillized.  I know Birth and Marrige Certificates, but what about police reports, letters certifying pension payments and the like?

Thank you Bill! It will be about 5 years before we move there. In the meantime I'm studying Atenas, Santa Anna and surrounding areas. I'm hoping that heir government stays stable because if anything weird happens politically there sure are a lot of Americans there. I've been going since I was 15 so I really appreciate the people and the beauty.