We will be living in Samoa for a year starting end of Jan!!!

Fellow Expats, what should we expect? Where should our expectations be set?
Im coming from PNG and the missus from Hamilton NZ. We are social/sporty and bringing a dog with us so reading all this what advise can you "locals" give?

We will be seeing you soon.

Welcome to Expat.com Trontravellers!

Harmonie.:)

Harmony :D great!!
Quick question. Is there anything we should bring that you can't get there.?

Cheers

Hi guys, as a frequent visitor of Samoa and Samoan but New Zealand born. Here are some tips for you

1. You'd be hard done to find a vet
2. Dogs are not as well liked and looked after in Samoa as in other countries
3. Mosquito repellant will be your saving grace where you go and I dont believe what locals say when they tell you they have no mosquitos, there are mosquitos everywhere
4. Try not to stay out after 8pm at a niteclub, there is a possiblity that people drinking in that club is eyeing you out and want to assault you by the end of their drinking night
5. Very traditional you will notice that churches are a million times bigger then the village itself, they pride themselves on being pious so dont get surprised when you hear sounds of a child being smacked or some drunken brawl or domestic, it's part of the pious part
6. watch out for overly priced item and i suggest you look before you purchase, others are willing to sell cheaper.
7. Petrol is expensive and outweighs the price of rental
Over all Samoa is a place that my parents call home, therefore i am connected to the land. Personally i can only stay no less for a week when i visit. At the end of the day I guess being there you will get to experience and you will make your own decision. Enjoy your trip in Samoa and hopefully you dont get robbed. Based on my own personal experience

Thanks for the honest feedback Lale12.
Was wondering about security. Don't be a target by the sounds. Wrong place wrong time.
Aahhh The South Pacific -drunkeness and domestic violence - it will be like I haven't left NZ.
With all the mozzys is there Malaria?
Iv found YouTube a good source of info and I might have to go to a church service just to experience it!
Bummer about the vet part hmmmm.
Lale12 did you do any activities there like fishing etc? If so what's your experience ?
Is there sky or satellite TV? Local channels etc?

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming!

Hi,we too are moving up there January/February from Drury
Graham will be working on the Fiaga Power Station.
I really have no idea what to expect?
It would be good to talk to your lady,when are you leaving nz?

Cushla

Hi Cushla,
Same timing by the looks. I'm guessing there are places expats catch up? I'm going to be there in a week and my other half a week or so later. I'm in communications so will probably catch up with Graham at some stage.
Glad there are others in the same boat as us.
Stay in touch

Tront travellers.. No malaria, and yes you can get sky but mainly at top of the shop hotels, yes I did do a lot of sight seeing and activities and they are fairly priced and well worth partaking in. Local channels are like watching ads that go on forever, did not do alot of tv watching because of it. I'm off there in two weeks so will let you know any updates, keep asking questions and i will try my best to answer them as honest as possible, if your not there already

Hi all :) im an aucklander moving to Samoa within the next 3-6 months. I am of samoan descent but born & raised in NZ. Am moving for a lifestyle change. Just came back from there last week too. Am happy to help (or try to help) answer any questions you may have.

Hi, Im hoping to move to Samoa with my 12yr old daughter. Does anyone have any information on the quality of education there with regards to High Schools. Also wondering if Samoa have gym facilities? Im abit vary of going for a run in public so wondering how expat new zealanders do it. Would anyone know of an arts community based in Upolu. Any help is greatly appriciated. This is my first time in this type of forum.:)

Hello, I'm assesing to pass 2 months (summer) in Apia, Samo.. Someone could tell me about living cost in Apia.. the average monthly cost sharing an apartment with my own room!

Thanks!!!!

Hi there I lived in Samoa for over 5 years .It's a very relaxed country but most samoans  speak English. Sports is a big thing in Samoa  netball for both man and women. Houses are fairly  reasonable if you look carefully 1500 USD for a 3 to 4 bedroom and large compound. Let me know if you need any further information I can put you in touch with friends I still keep in contact with you will have a great time I  Samoa the beaches are the best

Thank you very much Jcaine!!! Do u think that If I share a Flat (one bedroom) I can live with 800 USD per month .. including meals, breakfeast at home, dinner out sometimes, etc.. an average life!

Thanks thanks!

Hi guys,

We (husband, 2,5 year old daughter and myself) are relocating temporarily to Apia from Melbourne for approx. 18 months for my husband to work on the new Taumeasina Island Project. We will be there in early May. I'm hoping to meet up with as many new people as possible, whilst also entertaining my daughter. I am so excited to show her a new culture and all the challenges/adventures that it will bring!

Hope everything is going well for those of you who are already out there. It would be good to hear how you are getting on!

Sonya

Hey Sonya :)

Add me on facebook if you like :) my name is Katie Armstrong if you cant find me try searching my mbile [Moderated: Phone numbers are not allow on the forum for your own safety please.] :) we sre moving 25 april flying.from brissy!!! How rxciting for us al. Cant eait to meet! :) Look foreard to hearing from you x