Opening a Bank Account

Hello Forum,

I am an American who will begin working in Zürich. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a bank that will open an account for me. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Hi Jonathan & welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.

This thread may perhaps help you > https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=112342.;)

Harmonie.

Hello,

Thank you for the link... Unfortunately, every bank has turned me down due to my US citizenship. (UBS, Credit Suiss, and numerous private banks).  Apparently, the IRS did something to scare the Swiss banks away.

I'm working in a bank ("Private Banker") and yes, I confirm that whenever we get to talk with anyone having any link to USA, we insta-tell him that we cannot help him.

I assume it will not be easy for you to find a solution as I don't think there is any exception to that in Switzerland.

We have situation that we are moving for a short time to Switzerland, couple of months. I have practical training job because of my scool and my husband is with our child at home(Finnish practice, he gets payment for that from Finland). He has red passport, but our permanent address is in Finland.
Is it still possible that he can open a bank account in Switzerland? How about me? Or can we open a account for our son, he has red passport also. Which bank?

yes you can open accounts easily and quickly flower

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but since 2012 the situation has changed in Switzerland. Many big banks such as UBS do tend to refuse American clients, but it's not the case of smaller, private financial institutions.

If you choose a SEC-registered bank you can't go wrong (i.e. IRS issues). For example, the 2 establishements below are a safer option:

pictet.com/corporate/en/home/pictet_north_america/sec_registered.html
alpenrosewealth.com/alpenrose-wealth-management-international-ag-is-now-a-sec-registered-investment-advisor/

All the best

Sandro