Expat hobbies

Hi everybody,

What's your favourite hobby (appart from blogging ;))? Is there any kind of "local hobby" where you are?

Well my favourite hobby (computers) is not very original, but I can say I like the petanque, you know that game we practise in the south of France ...

hey, I was looking for a picture on the web and I realized that they even play petanque in Thailand! (picture from petanque.org)

http://www.petanque.org/img/pub/111341342973.jpg

Have a good week end!

Julien

Some people play pétanque in Montreal, too! :)

I just do some tradtional stuff...
knitting
crocheting
reading

...boring, I know!

ah... i've got the best memories of watching old men play petanque in southern france (mirande): even though it was sooo obvious who was closest to the wooden ball, these geezers stood around the centre, wildly discussing who got the closest. i definitely had the impression that they enjoyed those discussions so much, that they'd stop after every round to start all over again.

my personal hobby is playing soccer (quite typical for a german), but i also love to try new things. here in south africa i surfed for a while, and trust me, it's absolutely awesome but very, very exhausting. and you've got to stay on the look-out for big whites...
http://www.jaboobie.com/pic/blogpic/shark_surfer.jpg

Your picture is absolutely scary!!!

yeah, but even though there were a handful of incidents over the past years, i've never seen a shark while in the sea.
many other surfers that have been surfing for years hardly ever spotted a shark, either.

this one guy, though, told of a session, when they only saw a fin, and after scrambling back to shore they only found out that it was a dolphin - not a shark. :)

Why don't you try karate? It's a Japanese art of self-defense. Aside from making it a hobby, you will benefit a lot from doing karate. Karate teaches a person to show courtesy and respect, be a positive role model, excel in school and sports, increase physical endurance, improve mental awareness, exhibit perseverance and pride, set and achieve goals, achieve self-mastery and develop patience, concentration, confidence, self-control, balance and coordination and physical fitness.

Hobby... hmm...
Writing could be a hobby, but honestly, it's a passion and professional... so I'm good there ;-)

Photography and the attempt to learn more about it and get better ;)

photography, painting, walking....maybe some gardening soon....

Now that I"m re-entering expat life, I'm looking forward to picking up needle-pointing again. I've also enjoyed photography-- I've been the family historian. I also look forward to writing more (both professionally and just blogging). Not as exciting as surfing with sharks...I'll leave that one for my daughter and husband....which they would gladly do (though I have scuba dived to feed sharks). Learning has always been my passion, so I'm up to learning a new hobby or two, improving on the ones I have, and of course learning more about Chile and where ever else we go.

Everything I do is my life, part of my life - I don't have hobbies.
Photography, sewing, cooking, pilatesyogastreching in the mornings, sun, traveling... :)

Hobbies include gaming (as I've always been a bit of a nerd since my first Atari), reading, vegging out in front of the telly with a friend or two to watch a movie, visiting forest for a walk and some conversation, put on some music and play along on bass.

Hobbies is not really a term I'd use to describe these things but this is how I like to spend free time and to unwind.

Veggin' is good-- the art of doing nothing takes great skill -- and it puts the vacate in vacation :cool:.

I love photography. No idea what I'm doing with it but there's loads of inspiration in Turkey so I'm quite happy snapping away and putting the best photos on my blog. I'm also a happy armchair traveller when money doesn't permit real life travelling so I like to read travel stuff. I suppose going to the marekt three times a week is a hobby too. I never get tired of wandering around looking at all the lovely fresh produce for sale.

My biggest hobby as you've probably noticed from the article I posted is playing in and overseeing the development of the Essex Arrows Baseball Club, in Waltham Abbey, Essex, England.  I think it has become a bit more of an obsession than a hobby but it is still what I do in my spare time.  Well, that is from February to September.  In the off season I don't really have any hobbies, does TV count?  I love to edit video and photo footage with iMovie with background music and I love to write, although I've never created a blog, mainly entries in a diary I have kept for the past 30 or so years.  Does traveling count as a hobby?  I've been to about 35 countries.  I guess that it more of a passion than a hobby.  Nah, definitely baseball and in 2010 my hobby is going to be creating a local little league in Waltham Abbey!  How about that?

mine is cooking-eating-bloging
sounds so unproductive hobby,isnt it?! :p

I/we write about all sorts of issues and interests, help promote a local donkey sanctuary, restore chair seating (cane and rush), make mosaics .....photography, walking...cooking...

Locally, it is difficult as there are few hobby type activities but we do enjoy the local fiestas and gatherings...cider making is a big big hobby but not as big as drinking it. We often get roped in to collect, press and bottle the produce.

my hobbies are:
playing my musical instruments
singing
making my friends laugh and become happy
travelling
who is the same as me?
i leave in iran or persia !!! u c?

i like going places - short road trips to visit interesting places which we have a number of here in abu dhabi which is also great as I have been recently into photography too!!

indoors, i like to read, craft, cook and yeah well surf the net and read blogs!!!

For years my hobby were motorbikes... crossing Europe from north to south, east to west. Nowerdays and in order to keep fit and healthy I changed to a bike with only one HP (myself):D
Finishing a day with one hour cross-country...

Did everyone who likes travelling likes photographing too?

In my opinion it's the perfect combination of two hobbies. I'm still from that time where we didn't had digital and nowerdays I'm digitalyzing thousands of pics from trips done 30 years ago.

for some time now My favourite pastime has been speaking in  english all day! I find it both amusing and creative :) but i have no one to practise with :(

One of my big hobbies is improv (I just mentioned this is the making friends thread). I went to a few workshops at first and found it fun. then I started doing courses and started to get hooked. Now I'm in an improv group putting no shows twice a month (although we are on our summer break at the moment).

It's a great rush getting up on stage not knowing what you are about to do and then just pulling something out of thin air.

My daily 10/15km bike ride outside public roads. One hour of heaven!

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/003wtn.jpg/

I don't know if it is the right way to insert a pic but... it's the only way I know. Sorry for any inconvenience! ;)

Julien, that petanque looks very similar to the Spanish "petanca"; tho it is mostly played by old men in small towns I used to play when on holidays in my gandad's place. Lately I saw some guys playing it in London... I think is very similar to the bowling the play in Scotland, but I am still confirming it.

AS for my hobbies, well: photography, outdoors activities... single malts, hehehe...

my hpbbies playing cricket and tennis if there is free
i need to wath movies if u need more information whe n we meet after i can tell u

England ,like South Africa ,has a love of similar sports -cricket ,rugby ,football ;great theatre in London ,as well -the winter (unilke in South Africa) is cold and long -time to watch more TV!!!

I love ( kick boxing and body building ) .

julie.deruy >> I canŽt not travel without my camera. So, YES. At least in my case.

My hobby is Computering especially now that I am practically house bound.  I am continually updating my webpage, ciaccess.com/~toveza
I also edit a bulletin for my Knights of Columbus Council and send it out ten times a year.
tom vella-zarb [Canada]

nature tripping especially the beach area. malling, listening to music while reading.. duh! :), cooking and blogging, virtual games...

i live in Egypt in the capital Cairo it is so crowded city
i like going out to any place specially quiet places...

my favorite hobby is going out a lot with the people I love.:)

footbal!!;D

La Pasera wrote:

I/we write about all sorts of issues and interests, help promote a local donkey sanctuary, restore chair seating (cane and rush), make mosaics .....photography, walking...cooking...

Locally, it is difficult as there are few hobby type activities but we do enjoy the local fiestas and gatherings...cider making is a big big hobby but not as big as drinking it. We often get roped in to collect, press and bottle the produce.

cider making ... hmmmm sounds interesting

a_e_mutter wrote:

my hobbies are:
playing my musical instruments
singing
making my friends laugh and become happy
travelling
who is the same as me?
i leave in iran or persia !!! u c?

Hey that's a nice hobby? I play violin myself and painting abstract and singing too. Nice to hear that someone from Iran is into music. What kind of musical instrument you are playing?

my fav hobby is goign for long drives / walks..as of now alone..:-)

When i was a child in 80's, i saw lads playing with little glass balls (nearly a half Inch Diameter) on the streets, it may be different from petanque, but i do not see children playing it anymore on my streets, i liked having glass balls with me, but did not play that much, i do not miss playing it either, but...

I miss those sights....

Meet other expats and join the events

OR