Pet travel from Malta to EU countries and US

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone can share experience regarding travelling with cats from Malta to Latvia or to US. I'm familiar with the regulations regarding bringing animals to Malta, but what about travelling abroad from Malta? Could anyone advise on the paperwork needed, which vets can issue international travel certificates required by airlines, does the paperwork have to be endorsed by any authority in Malta and about how long does it take to prepare? In the case of US, I was advised that the country doesn't have any specific import requirements. But as far as I know you still need to comply with the airline requirements.

Thanks in advance,

Irina

Hi Irina,

no one seems to have experience travelling with a cat to the US. We travelled from the US to Malta with our cat and it was quite complicated.

Travelling the other way seems to be a lot easier! There is no general health certificate required but your pet will be subject to an entry examination. A pet passport with up-to-date vacinations should help.  The actual documents will depend on the airlines used and possibly on the US state you are travelling to.

Hawaii is very difficult.

Cheers
Ricky

Hiya Irina,

can i suggest that you post teh same question on the US forum aswell as there may be somebody that has just the right answer for you there... Might help get the answer you need a lot quicker :)

Julian.

Hi Julian,

that's a great tip ! I didn't think of that.

Cheers
Ricky

:) ... damn being helpful when i should have just gone totally off the topic lol..

Hi IrinaC,

I have moved your topic on the USA forum for better visibility.

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

All the best,
Christine

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions.

Ricky, I just want to tell you that you and your girlfriend were my encyclopedia on pet travel to Malta, so many thanks for that. Such a confusing process otherwise was made easy because of you.

I hope I will get more replies from the US side of the forum, but the reason I posted it here was that I was hoping someone would know about the local requirements, where to go to do the airline certificates here, how long it takes and so on.

And maybe anyone would know what is required for travelling within the EU. Anyways, great tip about checking US forums and blogs.

Regards,

Irina

Hi Irina and everyone else!
I just joined.
My name is Antony and me and my wife moved to San Francisco exactly one month ago.
We are both Architects and we moved to SF trying to make a fresh start since the situation in Greece is getting worse and worse each day.
Once we get a job we are planning to bring our cat here.
We have done all the medical check ups and the vaccinations needed and now it's a matter of what the requirements of the airline that our cat will travel with will be.

The problem with a journey like this is that it takes 18 hours full of stress and anxiety for the cat.

I would also love to hear from someone who has traveled from Europe to the States with a cat.

I could use any advice!