Quality of High School education at International Schools

We are relocating to Riyadh in January 2009 from Singapore. Would be most grateful for any info on the quality of teaching,the teaching staff and school environment in general at either the American, British or other equal standing international schools in Riyadh. Currently, we are in a dilemma whether to enrol our daughters aged 15 and 13 in any of these schools as the elder one is so close to sitting one of the major exams, IB or GCSE.

Well you might want to check out [moderated: two messages, and twice the same link -> looks like advertisement] which has info on the type of teachers that are recruited into Saudi...

The best schools in town are the Americasn anbd British School without a doubt. Both our gals, now 35 & 28, went to each of them, respectively, and have come out successfully into the jungle.

I heard from a couple of friends that the quality of high school education here in riyadh is not so good, however, I suggest you get as much advice as possible from expats as they arleady have been through the experience.

Good luck ,

Faisal

The American Schools in Dhahran and Riyadh have been categorized within the best 10 in the world.

A lot of schools here

Here's an observation from  one that has made the move from the UK and has seen the Schooling in Riyadh over time.

I've been really quite surprised by the British School here in Riyadh. It seems that a good percentage of the teachers are made up by parents that came to Riyadh as a spouse, got bored of sitting around the house and decided to go into teaching. I'm not saying that some of them aren't excellent teachers but this 'hit and miss' approach to recruitment seems crazy considering the whopping fees that have to be paid by parents.

I believe that teaching should be one of the most highly regarded proffessions and also most difficult areas to gain access to. In many countries this isn't the case (Certainly the UK) however here in Riyadh the expression 'Those who can't, Teach' seems to be taken to a whole different dimension.

I'd be interested to hear whether the other schools have a similar policy

Yes, indeed, they all do have a similar policy, except the American School who bring their staff from the USA. The Brit school in Riyadh also used to do the same in the 90s when my younger daughter attended but I believe they now have a mixed bag of official teachers recruioted from the UK and a smatterinmg of local expat houswives who may not be suitable teachers by profession but who may have the academics needed to be able to assist.

I read, write and speak english but no way am I, or ever will be, an English Teacher.

One other thing to consider in your choice of schools is that they do have criteria for entry i.e. if your not British or Dutch (?) it may be tough to get in. There is already a waiting list for most year groups.