Break-Ins

Hello!

We will be moving to Mauritius in August.  Recently, I ran across a very frank conversation on the forum regarding safety on the island.  I was under the impression that Mauritius was a much safer island than the one where we currently live.  However, I am feeling less at ease now after reading the thread regarding break-ins by men often with machetes.  Hmmm...sounds an awful lot like where we live and what I was hoping to move away from! 

I do understand there is crime everywhere, but I was hoping to get some solid feedback on where you feel the safest areas are to live.  Also, how common are these break-ins really?  Are violent crimes often part of the break-ins?  Is this something you are cognizant of all the time (the possibility of your home being broken into)?  Are you afraid in your own home?

Someone living in Mauritius told us the other day that it is better to stay away from expat housing as they are often the main targets.  However, I often see online that these "expat homes" typically are gated with security...

Hoping to get some honest feedback from you guys on violent crimes, break-ins, and the "safest" places to live on island!

THANKS!

Courtney

crimes are everywhere in the world, in mauritius also there exist to some extent. Let me assure you that it is quite safe here, there is no need to be afraid in your house here.

You must be well informed, plan well your stay, choose the right place & house. And thats it! Enjoy Mauritius!

Hi

Thanks for expressing your concerns. As a resident of Mauritius, I will say that these kind of things (break-ins,crimes etcc) occurs very rarely. People here are very friendly and welcoming. But as you said crime is everywhere through the world. The best thing to do is choose a good neighborhood, places near a city/town or a quite concentrated area. And simple precautions like avoid going to isolated places alone, driving late night alone can also help prevent these things.

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for your responses!  Are there any specific areas you would recommend to begin our search for a place to live?  When looking for homes, is it necessary to only consider the places with security bars on the windows?

Thanks again!

Courtney  :)

Crime is very much a Mauritian problem, by that I mean it rarely affects foreigners.  Typically, the victim knows the attacker and is more often than not related.  Mauritius isn't one of those places where it is common for someone to kill/attack/rape/rob a random stranger.  Apply the usual common sense rules and you'll be fine.

If money is no issue, then get a place amongst the foreigners living in Tamarin/Riviere Noire, Flic-en-Flac, etc.

hi there

What Stephenn says is very true

Although you can't always believe what you read in the papers, you can read the daily |English language Mauritian Independent News paper..online
www.theindependant.mu

it reports on crime and other social issues..may give you a better idea of what in the news here

all in all though Mauritius is a very safe place for the majority

Don't be put off by the scaremongers :)

Mauritius is one of the safest places in the World - Not sure which newspaper did a survey but we came out in the top 5.

Any crime here seems to be petty crime - I have been here 7 months and have never once felt ill at ease or threatened.

The papers report petty crimes and you have to search through the paper to find them.

Bars on windows and only gated communities??? No need to in Mauritius - unless you really want to.

Many times I have got myself lost in local back areas - and the local people have been helpful and friendly in directing me back to a main road, even though I don't speak French.

You will feel very safe here in Mauritius :)

I agree with all the comments above, Mauritius is a friendly and safe place with a low crime rate.  Most houses have some sort of window bars as part of the standard construction byt certainly no need for gated communities or security guards. 

There does seem to be some gated communities springing up around the island especially around Tamarin and a couple in the north and this may be influenced by some of the expats moving here and their 'need' for that type of community.

I honestly do no think it is necessary and would not choose to live in a gated community or one surrounded by an electric fence as it is just completely unnecessary.  I would really prefer not to see that type of housing estate happening at all as it changes the whole 'landscape' of residential living in Mauritius and creates another unnecessary level of exclusivity and expense. Housing in these type of estates is often outrageously expensive. 

We live in the north where there are many very nice, modern, safe and beautiful areas to make your home.

I think you'll find most people live in the gated estates for "road safety" reason rather than anything else....I am concerned far more about the my families safety on Mauritian roads than anywhere else! 
Living in the gated estates means less traffic past your door meaning children can play out side with out running the risk of being knocked over.

Road safety is much more of an issue in Mauritius than crime..and an issue that is brushed under the carpet too much..its getting out hand!

Wow!  Thanks everyone for the great comments.  I find them all very interesting and informative.  Keep 'em coming!!!  ;)

yeah i agree that Mauritius is really a safe place,i been staying here for 10 months now and exploring outdoors every week end,i been camping staying overnight alone in different beaches in the west coast alone and so far so good,so peace and quiet..:D compare to other countries...