Libya Nightlife

Currently in Tripoli and looking to explore the city.

- Can anyone recommend a good place to hangout at night? Is there an area where most people go?

- Recommendation for an english speaking driver w/ car? Looking to head out to the Roman Ruins

- Where do all the expats hangout? 20/30 somethings guys/gals....

Cheers,

-R

Forget ....there is hardly any night life there in Tripoli.
There were few night cafes at Hi Undlas before the revolution but they are shutdown. You will only find gunshots at night.

I hope in coming days it will be more open and peaceful.

Good luck

Riz

Funny, you mentioned gun shots...

I'm hearing them now as we speak. Looks like it'll just be me and my Havana Club w/ Coke.

:) correct ...bear with it for sometime, i hope things will settle down soon .....

Good luck with coke only ...

Riz

hey, I'm Mohamed from the capital city you CAN CALL me Hama, if you would like to hang out and go to some good places cafe shops or any it's Okay u are welcome u can contact me to ma inbox :) and don't worry abotu gun shots ;)

NYCGlobeTrotter: If you find something keep us informed :)

If you took the chance of leaving the comfort of NYC to be in Tripoli, I'm guessing you're one of those adventurous dudes, scattered gunshots shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

*Edited to correct language, I think I'm dyslexic =s

Scattered gunshots are really normal on a nighly basis.
I think I am going to miss them once at home.
Yesterday somebody used a RPG7 just for fun, pointing to the sky.

I hope they know wich things are handling.....

LOOOL - Scattered gunshots are the norm at the moment - but at least it IS better than when i was here in December.  Plus the military and police ARE finally beginning to have an effect on security.  Tho last night friends in Gargaresh reported TWO sets of gunshots - ONE came from a wedding - and one (the louder one!)  Came from a gunfight between security and a katiba that refuse to leave!!  Someone set off an RPG!!  :-/

HOWEVER - re: nightlife - there ARE good restaurants open again all over town - and it's perfectly safe to venture out at night - though as a woman I take care to go around with a few of my local (male) friends at night, to be on the safe side.  But for a guy I think it is totally ok to go on your own, even.  The restaurants and cafes are all open at least till 10pm - and a few until later.  Hay al Anadalus, Garageresh and SiyaHiya all have a good sprinkling - and the downtown area and the Medina do, as well.  PLUS - Meydan al Shuhada (Martyrs' Square) is a pretty "happening" place - especially on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays!  Families, young girls and women and men go strolling around and wander into the Medina souqs to buy things...

Just DONT expect "nightlife" as you would expect to see in the west!!  ;-)

hi Jenni,welcome to Libya and i read your post and i back to Libya in Last Oct but I moved from Tripoli June 2012 as i found the country not safe and i was very deep analyze to Libya future and I left Tripoli Although I have good offer to continue working but I preferred to move from Tripoli last June and your sentence feel me that you are in another country different about Tripoli that i was I Love Tripoli and i wish it will be safe more and more but my exceptions that living and business in this country is gambling but i wish it be good and safe in future inshallah.

Nightlife it is very simple :) ... just some cafes:/ and some places ..

Hilton,
Security is a proportional issue, some one thinks it is safe and it is not for another one. Many Libyans have the option of living abroad but they have chosen to live in Libya, even many expats and Jenni is one of them, how do they do it? well when it is your time to die by a bullet nothing will stop it from happening even if you were living in NYC were people die regularly from gun shots. Hundreds of thousands of fighters in Libya spent over a year fighting and living in battlefields and they are a live now, so when it is ur time you may die while you are a sleep.

nightlife????in Tripoli??