Visa regulations changing in Indo?

I lived and worked in Jakarta, Indonesia for almost 3 years a little over 2 years ago, and I've heard from a friend still there that regulations for obtaining a visa is changing.  Can this be confirmed by anyone?

Many sites say you don't need a degree, but my friend says people will need an English teaching degree along with a college transcript.  He will be going to renew his visa next month, but I'd rather not wait that long for information, since I am planning on going in December with my Indonesia wife and daughter.

2 years previous I also heard of a new visa type being introduced where those married to an Indonesian could get something akin to a Green Card (he could work using this), but it was rather hard to obtain.  I never heard if the man received this visa, but I am hoping someone may have some information on this too, possibly.

I currently have a teaching certificate and an AA degree while working on a BA degree in computers online.  I taught in China for almost 5 years and Indo almost 3, but with all of this I want to make sure I can stay in Indo without visa troubles, since my wife is wanting to give birth to our second child there.

Thank you for any info.

The law, 6/2011, is a bit odd and has gone off a bit half cocked.

If you have been married to an Indonesian national for over two years, you should be able to get a KITAP (5 year visa) for the princely sum of Rp700,000 + photos and fingerprinting.
That was intended to allow you to work freely but the work whatever department decided it was OK to work as long as you paid their US$1,200/year fee.

I'm unaware of anyone working illegally (or maybe legally) on a KITAP but without a work permit, being nabbed and taken to court.
Unless that happens, no test case.
The only other way is for someone in power to take his finger out of his arse and kick some people up the bum until it's sorted out.

As for qualifications, BA and teaching cert should be fine.

Yeah, I don't have a BA yet, and I won't have one for about two more years- though I know some people with fake BAs there.  I've heard of the KITAP, but the $1,200 fee is a bit much.  I worked at EEC for 11 mil a month with an optional 2 mil when doing extra work in another EEC on the weekend.  A whole month would be gone, especially if the weekend work were not available.  Working at EF would take more than a month to get this back.

I'd like to work in an international school, but I have to get back to Jakarta to check job availability.  I forget when most of the schools are hiring.

Most schools finish between may and June and then start from August so it would be best to look at positions from April.
The KITAP should be paid for by your employer and there might be charges if you break contract early.
The rules are changing but as and when they are fully implemented no one knows.
If you are looking for an International school to work at, most wont touch you unless you do have a degree.

mas fred wrote:

I'm unaware of anyone working illegally (or maybe legally) on a KITAP but without a work permit, being nabbed and taken to court.

I've represented an Uzbekiztan lady and a Pakistani guy in a court proceeding for working without a work permit although they have a KITAP. I've also represented a Singaporean with the same condition and refused to pay 1200 USD yearly.

Court verdict : Case dismiss on the grounds that the new law could not be implemented due to lack of implementing regulation.

mas_dymas wrote:
mas fred wrote:

I've represented an Uzbekiztan lady and a Pakistani guy in a court proceeding for working without a work permit although they have a KITAP. I've also represented a Singaporean with the same condition and refused to pay 1200 USD yearly.

Court verdict : Case dismiss on the grounds that the new law could not be implemented due to lack of implementing regulation.

That is interesting.
If the cases were dismissed because the supporting regs weren't in place, wouldn't that mean the old law still applied?

I, along with every other expat married to an Indonesian, will be interested in your answer.

PS. I'll stand you lunch at a very nice restaurant if you have time to discuss this. Perhaps sometime next week.

mas fred wrote:
mas_dymas wrote:
mas fred wrote:

That is interesting.
If the cases were dismissed because the supporting regs weren't in place, wouldn't that mean the old law still applied?

I, along with every other expat married to an Indonesian, will be interested in your answer.

PS. I'll stand you lunch at a very nice restaurant if you have time to discuss this. Perhaps sometime next week.

The case is being appealed to the supreme court now filed by the state attorney together with the Ministry of Human Rights, at this point to make it more interesting for you guys, no regulation is in force.

However, on the grounds of Police discretion they may initiate an investigation.

mas_dymas wrote:

at this point to make it more interesting for you guys, no regulation is in force.

However, on the grounds of Police discretion they may initiate an investigation.

That's very interesting. Too late for this year but next year....