Black Brit moving to Riyadh to take up Vice Principal post

Hi
I am moving to Riyadh at the end of August 2012 and just wanted to find out the pros and cons of living in accomodation in a compound. I have been offered housing but i don't think it is in a compound....need to check this out before i fly out...... but wanted some feedback before i make a decision. Keeping my fingers cross that all goes well.

James

This has been discussed many, many hundreds of times. 

See that white rectangular box up at the top of the screen, to the right?  It has 'Google Custom Search' written in it?

Well, in that box, you need to type COMPOUNDS RIYADH (or something similiar) and then press the button to the right that says "Go."

If you do this, it will bring up all the links to discussions we've had on this subject.  You can do this for anything you want to know about. 

If you do your homework and you have specific questions that were not answered, please do ask :)

But if you want a quick answer!! The pros would be things like, a gym, restaurant, company, a swimming pool, Western clothes. You can find out more easily, events happening in Riyadh. Mmm can't think of any cons.

Hope all goes well for you, Good Luck :)

Pros- A little bit of Freedom as compared to the outer world !

Cons - Probably you will be confined to the high and secured boundary walls of the compound and would miss the basic arab culture !!

sandy_storm wrote:

But if you want a quick answer!! The pros would be things like, a gym, restaurant, company, a swimming pool, Western clothes. You can find out more easily, events happening in Riyadh. Mmm can't think of any cons.

Hope all goes well for you, Good Luck :)

The con would clearly be the PRICE!

What has your skin colour got to do with anything? This is an expat forum not a local forum.

gashead wrote:

What has your skin colour got to do with anything? This is an expat forum not a local forum.

It doesn't matter if you're a Black Brit or a Blat Brick or a Brack Blit. Definitely, not in side a Compound. Happy house hunting:)

Hi James, which school will you be working at? I'm also from London and will be moving to Jeddah at the end of August to teach. Are you excited? Not long to go now! What do you teach?

Sapph wrote:

Hi James, which school will you be working at? I'm also from London and will be moving to Jeddah at the end of August to teach. Are you excited? Not long to go now! What do you teach?

Too bad I'm not in Jeddah, I'm from London also but will be moving to Jubail within the week. How are you finding it so far? Also, how did you secure the post in Jeddah, I'm already thinking about next year 2013

Best regards,

Ice... ..::!::..

ghanshyampdave wrote:
gashead wrote:

It doesn't matter if you're a Black Brit or a Blat Brick or a Brack Blit. Definitely, not in side a Compound. Happy house hunting:)

or brad pitt (sorry it rhymed thus couldnt help me self!)

where in London you from

Ice Muslim wrote:
Sapph wrote:

Too bad I'm not in Jeddah, I'm from London also but will be moving to Jubail within the week. How are you finding it so far? Also, how did you secure the post in Jeddah, I'm already thinking about next year 2013

Best regards,

I live in Jubail, great city, nice and friendly people and can go to bahrain or Kuwait on a day trip and back!

Ya' too light skin to be black!

lol jus kiddin! GOOD LUCK finding a good place to live principal sir :P

DragonKid wrote:

Ya' too light skin to be black!

lol jus kiddin! GOOD LUCK finding a good place to live principal sir :P

LMAOOOOO!

Seebawi wrote:
Ice Muslim wrote:
Sapph wrote:

Best regards,

I live in Jubail, great city, nice and friendly people and can go to bahrain or Kuwait on a day trip and back!

Waaa that sounds amazing, thanks for the heads-up! I've only ever been to the Kingdom once, in 2010 for Umrah (alhamdulillah), so this will indeed be a new and interesting experience.

EastLondon wrote:

where in London you from

Salaams akhi, Im from SE London (Greenwich). I do know East London though, I'm guessing you used to go to White Chapel Masjid? How are you finding living in the Kingdom?