MInor Surgery Required - any advice or recommendations

I have recently arrived in Bali for an extended stay. Last week, I went along to BIMC and discovered I am in need of minor surgery. I have no experience of the medical system, hospitals or doctors in Bali apart from this one encounter last week.  I do need to say, they were exceptionally efficient, and thorough.

I need to make a decision of whether I go back to Australia for the surgery, (remembering that getting an appointment there can take weeks!) or having it done here. The second choice is by far the easier option, but surgery is surgery and has risks attached.

Any input about surgeons, hospitals, aftercare (especially in this tropical climate that does not have clean water) would be appreciated.

Hi Jill,

This might be basic but from what I know, you can stay a few days in a hospital after sugery if you like and I think the doctor want it that way too. Unlike Australia who wants the patient to be discharged out of the hospital as soon as possible (I had a surgery in Australia once and the next day I was discharged).

In saying that, you can choose what kind of room are you staying. If you stay in a private room, your surgery fee might increase as well as your medication fee.

I hope someone with better knowledge will answer your question :)

Thank you Idner. That is certainly something for me to consider.

Hi Jill,

The BIMC is a fine Hospital with many westerners involved there.

But make sure you get a quotation first Just so you know what your up for.
Howard

Thanks Howard.

Since my last post, I have made the decision to go ahead with surgery here and my experience so far with BIMC and Kasih Ibu had been excellent.

I received confirmation 3 minutes ago that tomorrow is the day - insurance have agreed and all is in place. Thank the Gods, as I am now over the pain and wanting to get this fixed.

Jill

aussiehj wrote:

Hi Jill,

The BIMC is a fine Hospital with many westerners involved there.

But make sure you get a quotation first Just so you know what your up for.
Howard

All the best Jill for tomorrow :)

Hi Jill,

Good Luck Jill.

Howard

Hi Jill,

Was wondering how you went at the Hospital, and if your now fully recovered ??

Best Wishes Howard

Good morning Howard

Surgery went well. I am now home after spending 2 days in BIMC. I can now personally vouch for the hospital. There was nothing happened during my care that gave me any cause for concern. Remembering my surgery was not major, I would have no hesitation in recommending BIMC. if major surgery with prolonged in hospital recovery was required, I would go back to Australis. The staff were excellent, friendly and very obliging. The only blip was they sent me home minus my antibiotic medications. Thanks to my travel insurance Consultant and a husband who followed up with the hospital, these were delivered to our Villa within 1/2 hour of my initial request. Cannot complain about the follow up, but that should not have happened. Mind you, in the same breath, I have first hand knowledge of very similar things happening in Aistralian hospitals.

So, conclusion for me, I made the right decision. At least here, the surgery was performed immediately without any lengthy wait lists.

Thank you for your concern and to anyone faced with a similar dilemma, I am very happy to discuss.

Jill