Immigration to newzealand

Hi.. any Indian expatriates out there to help me in finding job in new zealand. I came to know that there is more job oppurtunities for IT prof. I am having two year of IT experience.

Welcome on Expat.com freddyarun

I will suggest you to browse through the articles on the Work in New Zealand guide page. It contains many useful information which will surely guide you in your career search.

Let me seize this opportunity to wish you good luck in your career.

Regards

Hehe :D i think you are also a prey of any consultant and similar person.... There are lot of IT jobs but Indians and other asian gets very very less consideration. in Other words employers are highly hesitant to emply such people . Though people are getting employed but its too too difficult.

I agree with Gourav.

I have heard many stories of people paying money to consultants because they are told they can easily find a job here.  It can be very difficult to find work.

If you can afford it, you would be better spending your money on a flight ticket here for a holiday and speaking to people from the Indian community who can perhaps put you in touch with employers.

Many employers will not even interview people from overseas unless we are in our final weeks of getting a visa. 

I wish you every success.

Hey All,

I need some help  regarding New Zealand immigration can anyone please tell me what are the basic requirements which makes me eligible to apply for New Zealand immigration by profession i am  Computer System Engineer and working in Saudi Arabia  from last 2 years i have total qualification of 16 years ,4 years bachelors degree so can i file my case for New Zealand any suggetions ?

Regards

Hello noman_jamil.

This post is dated 2011.

I invite you to start a new thread on the Auckland forum for more interaction. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

gourav wrote:

Hehe :D i think you are also a prey of any consultant and similar person.... There are lot of IT jobs but Indians and other asian gets very very less consideration. in Other words employers are highly hesitant to emply such people . Though people are getting employed but its too too difficult.

I think this post is true to some degree and that foreigners in NZ do run into problems when seeking employment. In saying that, there are many people from the Asian continent employed in responsible positions throughout NZ.

I have had this discussion with a variety of Asian/Indian friends in the past and there is one thing that many immigrants don't understand about the New Zealand culture.

You have to put your time in before seeing the benefits. Most people who seem to think that they have experience/qualifications and should be accepted for the first top job they apply for. Another point to consider is that the average time spent in a company is around two years. That being said, why should an employer invest time and money into you when they might think you'll leave in search of a better job in the near future? And given the current economic climate, they're looking for someone who is likely to be around for a while.

Those who are persistant will succeed and it's highly likely you'll be in a position that is less than what you'll probably expect to be in initially.

You just have to be patient.

Good luck

Stay away from consultants and most can't really guarentee you anything more than what can be acheived if you do it yourself. If they are claiming they can get you a visa/job, don't believe it for a second, they are just after your money. Many such people in New Zealand have been arrested for these services.

Does it make a difference if some1 already has a visa and comes to NZ with all bags packed and searches for a job? I believe this option is there for SMC visa type.

also, i was going through some of the salary guides of NZ in IT industry. There are quite a few available on the net. are these really indicative for migrants ? or do they only apply for NZ citizens.
For eg. - if the avg salary of some job type is say 70k NZD; will a migrant also have an equal chance(provided the work-ex in home country, education, etc is all supportive of the job being applied for) of getting that kind of pay ? Or is it like how kiwiinkorea put it - 1 has to be wait for a while (say 2 yrs) before he/she can be at par with those wages.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Well it all depends on the job. If you are legally allowed to work in New Zealand (you have the appropriate visa status) then you should be considered equally for the position you're applying for in the same capacity as any other applicants. In terms of money, most of the jobs you're after are likely to be in that pay bracket, but if you want the top positions you've gotta put your time in. It works the same for the locals too.

I had an Indian friend who ended up getting a swollen head as he believed he was better than the job he was in. He applied for a position that was well above his qualifications/experience/age, he didn't get that job but the company offered him another job, albeit with less pay but a job in his chosen industry nonetheless. His industry was advertising which is a very difficult industry to find work in. Really in his case they were very interested and were wanting to employ him in order to have a look at him. Thats a compliment in itself. After 6 months he left on bad terms as he felt he was above this job and then he couldn't find another one. The point I'm trying to make is that New Zealand is a really small place and word gets around, if show yourself with a 'can do' attitude and are prepared to get your hands dirty then it won't be forgotten.

That friend I mentioned, this was about 5 years ago, he still isn't working in advertising. He's gainfully employed but he could've been in his chosen career if he pulled his head in and just got on with it. It's important to get paid what you're worth, the question is: would you take a little less to get your foot in the door and hopefully be considered for something much better a little further down the track? In these tough economic times you've got to be flexible. Remember there are only so many jobs to go around. I recently read an article on the current employment situation in NZ, cut a long story short, there are many immigrants and locals too all working in positions well below their chosen career. They're doing something now while they look for something better.

Bottom line is one has to make a living regardless.

hi
kiwiinkorea

i think u r staying in new zealand for quite a ling time.

i am a registerd staff nurse in india with 4+years experience.currently i am pursuing POST BASIC B.SC IN NURSING.

after getting the visa on skilled migration category will i get a job in new zealand.after how long i can apply for a PR.

please reply
thnx

saritamaan wrote:

hi
kiwiinkorea

i think u r staying in new zealand for quite a ling time.

i am a registerd staff nurse in india with 4+years experience.currently i am pursuing POST BASIC B.SC IN NURSING.

after getting the visa on skilled migration category will i get a job in new zealand.after how long i can apply for a PR.

please reply
thnx

Hi there,

I am actually living in Korea these days but born and bred there yes.

Fortunately for you there is a shortageof nurses in the New Zealand medical system. I don't you'll have much trouble finding a reasonable position. Am not sure exactly what the salaries but I used to know an Indian woman working as a nurse and she was earning around 45k a year and she was only recently qualified. In NZ, nursing is a 3-4 year degree from university and it goes up based on experience and post grad qualifications.

As far as PR stands, I am not sure how long but I think it's around 2 years before one can get PR, then I think it's another 5 years before one can become a citizen. You'd need to check that on www.immigration.govt.nz

I imagine all your questions should be answered there.

Cheers

Hi Kiwiinkorea..

Thanks a ton for your inputs. gives a very realisic idea about current situation not jus in NZ but pretty much everywhere in every field today.

purplehaze_peace wrote:

Hi Kiwiinkorea..

Thanks a ton for your inputs. gives a very realisic idea about current situation not jus in NZ but pretty much everywhere in every field today.

Yeah I agree. I am in English Teacher in Korea, I have a lot of experience in management and business. I hold a BA in Social Sciences, I can do analytical work and write reports. The bottom line is that the employment situation is somewhat limited in New Zealand so am over here in Korea doing something else. It's not the ideal choice but one still has to make a living.

Seems I am more useful offering suggestions and advice from overseas than in my own country.