Bringing our cat to Mauritius from the UK

Hello,

We have a shy, nervous 2œyr old rescue cat that we have had for 18 months and we would like to take her with us to Mauritius.  I have read the post regarding the paperwork that is required to import pets, just wonder if anyone knows or has tried to take their pet/s with them on the same flight instead of using the pet-airline services.

Would this affect the paperwork or broker that is required in Mauritius and what was your experience?

I have emailed Mr Ganesh / Veterinary Services in Mauritius, I'm still waiting for their reply.

Many thanks

11 or 12 hours as hand-luggage in an enclosed  metal tube with some 200 or 300 pax - I believe that you should check with the airline.

External wrote:

11 or 12 hours as hand-luggage in an enclosed  metal tube with some 200 or 300 pax - I believe that you should check with the airline.

There are 2 airlines that will allow it but just concerned about the paperwork.

I am wondering if it is best she travel with me then at least I am able to take her out of her travel box and let her sit with me for a while(instead of being cooped up alone and feeling scared).  She is prone to stress related illnesses like cystitis, so I would like to try and make her as comfortable as possible.

Hi,
My 2 dogs flew with us but in the hold on the same flight, I was really worried about them as one is very nervous, but all was fine.

They no longer sedate as its been found to cause breathing problems, the animals are in the dark and with the hum of the plane and tend to sleep.

When we arrived, they were OK, not stressed and very pleased to see us, we saw them as they were off loaded and followed the van taking them to quarantine - we had an excellent broker waiting at the airport to meet our dogs off the plane - he was so nice and dealt with the vet for us.

We flew here with Air Mauritius.
Good luck

I'll be taking my cat over as "hand-baggage" on Air France in 2 weeks time. It did take a while for the vet service to get back but all has been handled very well so far. I'll let you know how it goes and keep your questions coming in, if I can be of help.

Hi again Nasbonnie!
Just wanted to let you know that the 2 flights with my cat went extremely well. Absolutely  no problem with the 11hr flight, our cat Linkin was calm all the way. I took him out with his harness for a cuddle in Paris, he was a little scared and just lay down under our seats while we waited to board.
He's now in Reduit, we supply his food and cat litter. He's happy to see us when we come visit and bring him an extra treat, not too cuddly though (letting us know he'd rather not be there). There's always food and water in his bowls and the litter tray is cleaned out regularly. He's looking quite healthy actually. So all good so far.
Again, let me know if you have any questions and I wish you all the best with your move :)

Hi Mishj,

That is such gr8 news!  I'm really glad the flights went well and your fur-friend arrived safely. :)

As I will be traveling from the UK I was told that airlines don't allow pets in the cabin and only in the hold :(. I think my little one will have to go in the hold unless I go via France which means having to mayble change the paperwork from France to Mauritius etc (I'm exploring this option as I am only leaving mid-October now so I've got a bit of time to plan). 

I managed to go out to Mauritius on 21st Aug for 3 days and visited the quarantine centre to check on my import application, they seem really friendly and helpful which is a great peace of mind.  They were thoughtful too and were able to answer all my questions.  It's good to hear that you have had a positive experience with them and Linkin has "settled in" (I'm sure he can't wait to explore home).  Hopefully Linkin will be able to go home before the 30 days.

Many thanks for your updated :), I'll let you know how I get on with my trip.

Good Luck with settling in your new home.

Rosiewestie: I've been dealing with your local broker, he is really, really helpful and the quarantine centre recommended him too.

I think I will be flying Air Mauritius as well(they've been quite good in the past), I will know for definite in the next week or so ;).

Many thanks for both your feedback, it's been very reassuring and helpful.

Take Care
Nasbonnie

Nasbonnie wrote:

As I will be traveling from the UK I was told that airlines don't allow pets in the cabin and only in the hold :(.
Nasbonnie

Thank goodness the airlines are sensible to the well being of pax who suffer from allergies  when they are cutting down  on refreshing the cabin air for an 11'12 hour trip

I was told that the flights from the UK must be a direct flight if you are bringing pets to Mauritius, as originally I was going to fly to Dubai and then change for a flight to Mau.

I was also told there is no way a UK flight to Mau would allow any type of pet in the cabin.

Pet Company I used told me this - not sure if its 100% true though - but I decided not to take any chances with my dogs now being accepted by the vet when I arrived in Mauritius - I did everything by the book ;)

Good luck - I think we get more stressed and worried about our pets on the flight than they do ;)