GOOOOOOOOOAL!!! - Let's Talk Football Teams

So in reading DiscoveringParaguay.com, I realize that I'm gonna need to pick a team, if I'm to fit in.

Given that I'm a Libertarian, and see the move to Paraguay as a boost in our family's level of freedom (pay raise, less taxes etc.)... I'm thinking that I might be gravitating towards becoming a Club Libertad fan. They have cool black and white jerseys that look like referees, and they play in a smaller stadium. If anyone is familiar with the German Bundesliga, they kind of remind me of St Pauli (if the YouTube clips are any help).

I'd love to hear who your favourite teams are, and why...

As well, I'm sure each of the teams has an identity... or else what are each team's supporters like?

I'm always fascinated with the local sports culture when I travel.

For those of you who didnŽt see that particular post about choosing a soccer team, here is the direct link: http://discoveringparaguay.com/home/futbol-club/

Personally I am a Cerro Porteño fan.  Mostly this is because we were San Lorenzo fans in Argentina (and that is because a family member beat the Boca fans in the family to the punch and gave us San Lorenzo jerseys).

How are these types of allegiances defined?

Do certain parts of town cheer for a team based on geographical proximity to the team's Stadium?

Are the teams divided by social status (example: In baseball the Chicago Cubs are more for upper-class white collar yuppies, while the Chicago White Sox are more for the working class south-siders).

Cerro is the Cyclones. Got it.

When I looked on Wikipedia, there seemed to be quite a discrepancy between the sizes of the stadiums. Libertad only has 10,000 fan capacity, whereas some of the bigger teams have 25,000 to 35,000.

Also... what are the prices to the games like?

What time of the year do the seasons take place?

I've also read about hooliganism (particularly about a Cerro vs Libertad game that involved a Cerro fan throwing a flare at a linesman)...

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/20 … aguay.html

Is this as bad as it seems from the outside? I'm starting to have second thoughts about my excitement to see a live match, and may probably stick to watching in pubs and at home.

I once asked my Paraguayan girlfriend to go to a live match with me in Asuncion, but she refused to go, saying it was too dangerous. I didn't go either. Perhaps not typical, but its anecdotal.

Interesting. Perhaps not a first-year activity for a new expat, but something to build up to.

DonŽt let fear of hooliganism keep you from watching a live match! Soccer games are usually safe to go to if you take the proper precautions. DonŽt sit in the "barra brava" sections - the cheap section behind the goal - that is where the hard core fans/potential hooligans sit.  If you pay for more expensive seat you should be fine. DonŽt bring in fancy cameras or other types of equipment that might be pickpocketed.  And if you want to remain neutral then donŽt wear a jersey unless you are sure you are seated in the corresponding teamŽs side of the stadium.  Generally "super clásicos" as the games between big rivals Cerro and Olimpia are named, have the most potential for hooliganism.  My suggestion is to head to the stadium accompanied by Paraguayan friends for your first couple of games.

Perhaps it's not necessarily a first-year activity but for the expats that are a little more seasoned?