Question for expats who want to live in Amman ?

I'm trying to find out what are the important features that any apartment should have in the eyes of single or a couple planning to rent and stay for 6-12 months here in Amman/Jordan ? is it the location, the furnishing, appliances, or the neighborhood itself . Let's here it from you guys/ladies .

Details are highly encouraged here :) all nationalities living in Amman are welcomed here .

Have a nice day/night
Makiya

Hi Makiya and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

i am also eagerly waiting for response as i am also in queue like you!!!!!!

my wishes to you

Location is the most important, because if you live somewhere not close, you will struggle to transport .
what area are you considering to stay in?

Hi

There are too many things to be considered if you plan to stay in Amman fr that long. I moved from Oslo-Norway 7 months ago with my Lebanese wife. We bought our own apartment in Al-Rabia area as recommended by friends and relatives. Now, we are in the process of selling and moving to eithe Abdoun or Um Othaina area, since it is closer and more central to what we consider metropolitan life.

In your case, check the neighborhood, and most important th neighbors. In the old days they used to say that their is a social life in th Arab world, sorry to say it I only a myth. Peopl are not so social and kind as we thought upon arrival. Back talking, jealousy and materialistic society is what w found here.

I wish you the best and take your time in hunting for housing.

i am looking from this angle. i need good water, eletricity, market availability of indian food stuffs, vegetables and etc... if it is apartment and lift for the apartment. not too congested roads. not too much of noise when you come back from ofice etc.. area to dry your cloths in sun etc...

Hamory1 wrote:

Hi

There are too many things to be considered if you plan to stay in Amman fr that long. I moved from Oslo-Norway 7 months ago with my Lebanese wife. We bought our own apartment in Al-Rabia area as recommended by friends and relatives. Now, we are in the process of selling and moving to eithe Abdoun or Um Othaina area, since it is closer and more central to what we consider metropolitan life.

In your case, check the neighborhood, and most important th neighbors. In the old days they used to say that their is a social life in th Arab world, sorry to say it I only a myth. Peopl are not so social and kind as we thought upon arrival. Back talking, jealousy and materialistic society is what w found here.

What you've mentioned is true , thanks for sharing your interesting observation
:)

Makiya

Hamory1 wrote:

Hi

I'm not really into West Amman,-it's pretty soulless compared to the northern and eastern suburbs. Tabbabour forever! The best (and possibly highest?)part of Amman....imho. But I would rather live in Rabia than Abdoun. Rabia has great coffee shops, including strangers to play backgammon with, and quite friendly people. Also good music shops. Wee places, probably all pirated, but they have stuff like Palestinian revolution songs which they are not scaredy cat about selling, unlike the ones downtown.

Indian food? Not sure about the fresh food markets in West Amman? Are there any, or do people there just buy sanitised tasteless supermarket food? If you don't mind going to the camps, Wehdat (New Camp)has fantastic variety for vegetables. I even saw taro (south pacific staple food) there.

thank you for the views..let me see.. my days are nearing to come to amman!

Where is the best place to live in Jordan if I have 3 kids who would like to play soccer and be with other expat kids ect.  We want to rent a furnished or unfurnished place that is in a safe area, great if it was in a complex with a pool :)  Also, we will most likely have our dog too
thanks, Krystal

I Might recommend,Jabal Webdah

It is a nice,quiet place,i say this coz rest of my family staying there n they love the Quietness,and about the Peoples...
Hamory1 is correct ; peoples are not socialize,back talking n back stabbing too,etc n its according to survey too :)

hehehe..tell me about Elweibdeh.. been staying here for 7 years..and I love it !!!

The first thing I purchased in Amman on my first visit was a clothes dryer. Working people dont have time to always hang clothes out. LoL. Not many apartments or houses seem to have them. A garbage disposal for the kitchen sink. Laundry room, or a place besides the kitchen to do laundry. Built in closets, automatic dishwasher, ceiling fans. Light switches and safety electrical outlets inside the bathroom.

Central air and heat.... is a must. Built in storage, linen closets or shelving in bathroom.... and an option for gas or electric stove.

If you have all these extras, then you shouldnt have any problems keeping tenants, nomatter where the location is. If its new construction, you cant go wrong adding some kind of insallation to keep the heating/cooling cost to a minimum.

Ooops I forgot an important feature.... at least one safe place to park a vehicle.

We recently moved to Amman [2 weeks ago] and were shown several options by the realtor. We ended up taking a stranger option than listed - what eventually swayed us to the apartment we rented was the actual landlord. Our landlord has since proven [thus far] to have been invaluable. They have given us detailed insight to the city, constantly checked on us to ensure we are fine, offered to take us around [despite this we did politely refuse] and left a range of reading material for us [local guides, restaurant recommendations..etc..]. The apartment we have is centrally located and close to transport, the only issue I would say is "water presssure" could be better, but we can manage. I believe that in general security and quiet and good order is also important. The blue ribbon address might be nice and we saw better apartments than the one we chose, but we have a nice bright apartment [lots of daylight] and very pleasant landlords. So far we are happy

Which one is the best place to live for expat ? Office Location - King Abdullah II Street

A- one bedroom studio ( 1/bedroom, 1/bathroom, kitchenette open to the living room:
1/a- Abdoun Al Shamali, behind the Latin churche, near deritna, Mira supermarket and the niche shopping area.

2/a- Um Al Summaq, near al dur al manthour school.

B- Two bedroom Apt ( 2/bedroom, 2/bathroom, kitchen, L shaped big living area with a balcony.

- 7th circle opposite to Cozmo, B&H mall,surrounded by all shopping, F&B outlets and services.

Hi.  Quick question for you.  Where did you find ceiling fans?  I must admit, I haven't really looked though.  We live in an apartment on the 3rd floor (top) of a family owned building and don't find a need for air con at all - we are lucky to have a nearly constant breeze.  However, a ceiling fan in the master bedroom would be great.

Then you are lucky if you hardly need one.
But this summer the temperature was not very high as expected.
In case  you want to buy a fan you can go to the stores for household appliances or if you cant find it, in the bigger malls.