Requirements for a first visit to Costa Rica

We would like to know several things, in preparation for a first visit in November.  Many of you could probably provide advice for these novice questions:

1) How much cash should we bring?  Do we need to convert it to colons?

2) Do most places take Major Credit cards (i.e. Mastercard, American Express, etc...)?

3) Should we rent a car or hire a driver/car? Pros / Cons??

4) How difficult is it to get ground transportation from/to the airport (if you don't speak Spanish yet)?

5) Where are some of the "must see/experience" places that we need to visit on our one week visit?

6) Are there any pitfalls that we may not consider, but you who live and travel there are well aware of?

I aooreciate any advise we can get, as we want to make the most of our trip. 

Thanks

Bill and Jean Cahill

Hola Mississippi Bill!
CASH - How much cash depends on how much you want to spend.  Personally, I prefer to always use colonies.  In the larger cities dollars are accepted almost anywhere.  The big disadvantage of dollars is that you will receive whatever exchange rate that person or business chooses - and it will "not" be in your favor.  I live in a smaller town, San Ramon, Alajuela, and many of the smaller businesses do not accept dollars.  Needless to say, DO NOT exchange your money at the airport.  Exchange at banks only.

CREDIT CARDS - I almost never use a credit card here.  I use Wells Fargo Visa and am charged a $25+ foreign country fee each time I use it.  No, not all businesses here accept credit cards.  Many smaller businesses do not.  Also, if you pay in colonies, always ask for a "discuento", discount for cash.

CAR - This depends on you.  If you have driven much in foreign countries and are comfortable with it, then drive yourself.  Be advised - when Tico's get behind the wheel of a car and especially and large trucks, they leave their manners and brains at home.  Not the worst country for drivers, but close to it.  Paying someone else to drive to me would be a waste of money.  If you do, Ticos should/would get about 1,500 ($3) colonies per hour plus their meals.  If you are paying more than this, you are paying "Gringo Prices."

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, etc. -  There are variables to most of your questions.  In the larger cities there is more English spoken, when you get into rural areas very little.  I would strongly suggest learning at least some basic Espanol before coming.  This is a Spanish speaking country and you cannot expect people to speak your language.  That is one of the many rude things that many tourist do when they come down/over/up.  Many Tico's do not own cars so taxis and buses are readily available pretty much anywhere.  It's easy to get a bus to the airport from just about anywhere.  Cost is almost nothing.

MUST SEE PLACES - Broad question, that depends on what you are coming for and what you like.  Some people like seeing the volcanoes, I thought it was very boring.  My daughter likes the beaches, I do not.  Just depends on your taste.  Online research on this one is best. 
PITFALLS - PLEASE, do not tip too much.  You do not tip for gas, yes, I've seen this several times by Gringos.  Restaurant tips are usually included in your bill, you do not need to tip more.  At the airport, you only need to tip $1 at most.  Again, I've seen people give $5 to handle a few bags.  The average hourly salary here is 1,500 colonies ($3) - "hourly."  When tourist tip so much, Tico's get the idea that all Gringo's have money to throw away and then end up wanting or trying to charge expats more.
Use common sense here the same as any country, if you are in a bad neighborhood, "you're in a bad neighborhood."  Statistically, The crime rate here is nothing compared to the States; however, there is still crime.

PITFALLS - Hmmmm, many, but in one week you most likely won't experience them, I hope.  To keep your sanity, do not ask "why."  It is that way because that's how it's done here. Be patient, our pace here is not anywhere near that of the States.  This will make more sense once you've experience Costa Rica.
I hope you do have a great trip!
- Dave

Dave,

Thank you very much.  I appreciate the sincere response. 

We are arriving on a Saturday.  Are banks open so we could convert dollars to colons, since Airports are not good to make the exchange.

I haven't driven in other countries, but plan on getting the most out of the trip.

Since our plans would be to be retired if we move to Costa Rica, the way we would plan to live would not be the way we live now.  I am not certain whether urban, suburban or small town life would be better, without getting down there to experience it. 

Being able to initially rent a place and have it close enough to walk to most of the places I want to go would be a big plus.  I like to cook so having produce, meat and baked goods nearby would be ideal.  Also, having a good local watering hole within walking distance is a high priority to me.

On this short visit we intend to take a tailored two day retirement tour and then visit different urban and rural areas to see where we would feel more comforatable.  I realize there are many variables in this type of decision.  We would rent for a year or so so we could change locations if we so desired.

We have ordered some Spanish CDs that are oriented on giving us a working use of the language quickly, so we could get by better.

Based on our November visit we will decide if we will pursue Costa Rican retirement.  If we choose to do so, we will go into high gear to sell the house / most belongings and plan for the move.

Any more advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again..

Bill and Jean Cahill

P.S. I will not miss hurricanes, like Isaac, which has me off work for three and maybe four days this week.

Buenas dias Bill,

It sounds like you have the right idea and attitude for getting started.  Renting for the first year is a must.  Keep in mind that about 50% of the Gringos that move here return to their home country the first year.  From what I've seen, I think a big part of this is due to lack of really getting to know the country prior to moving.  Most of the Gringos that are unhappy here is related to their inability or unwillingness to assimilate.  Costa Rica is nothing like the States.  You have to experience it to understand this.

I miss only two things about the States, Home Depot and good restaurants.  I am from the San Francisco area and was used to "very" good food.  You will not find it here.  But, being from the South, you won't be missing much.  (Yes, I am joking.)

I bank with Scotia Bank and yes they are open on Saturdays.  Again, being Costa Rica - some may be open and some may not.  You can always use your dollars until Monday if you have to.  It will seem a bit confusing at first as most prices are in colones.

If you guys end up in the San Ramon, Alajuela area, I would be happy to show you around.  There are Gringos here but not too many so far.  If you want to write to my email or call, my email address is [email protected] and I'll give you my U.S. phone number by email.

Finding a "watering hole" will be easy.  That we have plenty of.  There are bars of every kind - simple small ones, sports bars, etc.

Take the "retirement tour" with a grain of salt ...along with my advice.  Everyone has a different take on Costa Rica.  If they try and sell you property, "ignore" them.  These tours usually offer Gringo priced property.  Only buy from a Tico, make sure that they actually own it, make sure the property is clear and always use an attorney for title transfer.  It is much simpler here to buy property and to build.  I bought 5,000 m2 for $30,000 and contracted my house myself and built/building a 1,500 sq. ft. house for under $60,000.

A good place to find rentals or to keep track of pricing levels is Craigslist Costa Rica.

Learning Spanish is one of the most important things you can do.  Mine sucks but I get by.  I think this is one of the other big reasons many expats return to their home country.  If you don't speak the language it is simply not as much fun. 

I lived in Florida for four years and do understand the "not missing" the hurricanes.  Here we just get earthquakes once in a while.  The weather here is ideal for what I like - cold nights and warm days.  October is the only month where we really get "a lot" of rain.  Yes, we have six months of rainy season or winter, but most mornings during this time period are clear.  October on the other hand can be three weeks of non-stop rain.

There are many adjustments that you'll have to make here.  It can be inexpensive to live here if you can "change your Gringo ways."  Many things are a lot more expensive than the States.  At the same time there are many others that are much cheaper and this offsets the expensive.  Taxes on my property are only $220 per year.  It would be more than double that each month in California.  Some foods are very expensive but most of the fruits and veggies that are grown here are cheap.  Again, if you adjust to a little different way of eating, it can be less expensive.

There are ways to bring U.S. "things" that you miss in from the States.  We use shippingcr.com to bring things in from the States. They charge $37 sq. ft. to bring whatever you want.  It does not matter what it weighs, it's a flat rate.  As an example, although tires are manufactured here, it's cheaper to purchase them in the States and ship them in.  Many things are this way.

Take care y pura vida,
- Dave

Dave,

Thanks again for the additional info.  I am compiling a list of potential places to visit and San Ramon is one of them.  I really need to get the feel for the size of places and traffic etc...    I will contact you in the future, using your e-mail.  Perhaps we can have you show us around your area when we visit.

I appreciate the help.

Bill and Jean

Hello, Bill:  Another question to ask, is what we Should NOT DO, in Costa Rica.  If you hear of people who rent out rooms to people such as yourselves, be extremely careful!!!! I did that, and ended up with a couple who are committed alcoholics. As long as they were awake, they drank, and they smoked!!!  They cursed, and they treated each other with the most foul language. I ended up calling the police on them, three times. This was in el Alto las Palomas, near Santa Ana. Then I moved to Escazu, with a French woman in PACO, who turned to be a real operator, a scammer.  She wanted to steal my money, right under my nose.  I, Unfortunately, paid the entire month in advance.  I ended up buying a $100.00 dollars worth of food for her, paying for her tank plus of gas---which turned out to be $70.00 dollars, plus.  Then, she would get angry, because I would refuse to pay for anything else after that.  She always led me to believe that she would reimburse me later, or in exchange, she would take me to my doctors.  She took me three times, one of which she left me in the middle of the road, in the rain.  Why?  Because she wanted to run her own errands, going to other towns with the gas I had purchased for her. She also said breakfast came with the room. But that happened only in the first five days, of the first week.  I would buy food for myself, and she would make the so called breakfast with the yogurt and bananas I would buy.  So....Never, ever pay anyone in advanced for your entire stay.  You want to make sure that things actually work in your room, and in the bathroom.  You want to make sure that everything they promised you, is actually delivered.  You want to make sure that if something doesn't work out, you can leave on your first weeks, without much problem, much aggravation, and that they have not kept your money, making sure you will stay the entire lenght of time, while you are extremely unhappy.
I trust this helps.  Again.....These things happened to me, personally.  iF YOU WISH, contact me at:  [email protected]   You could also try to do a house-sitting in the beginning.  Go to Housecarers.com  or House Sittings in Costa Rica.  Right now I'm trying to book a flight to return on Oct. 1st., for one month, in order to finish the dental work I had started.  I intend to be there on Oct. 1st., for one month.  Any other questions, email me, or call me at:  917-388-2202  I also happen to speak Spanish Fluently. Why did I decide to stay with the French woman?  Because I also happen to speak French. In reality, she turned out to be from one of those Northern African Countries.  I much later learned that she doesn't like Americans.  Of course....We would get into all these arguments about me trying to stand for America, for what America represents, for the great things that America has to offer.  Back to the alcoholics.....Consequently, going to the police was no problem for me.  In fact, I believe the police of Santa Ana know me quiet well.  Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would not stay in Santa Ana, or Escazu.  I found it to be just out of bounds for me, too far from everything I wanted to do.  I know next time, in October, I'll be staying near the end of Blvd. Rohrmoser, or near La Sabana Norte.
GOD bless, be well, and if yo still need help, let me know.
Godsangelsoverme

Godsangelsoverme

Thanks you for yur advise.  My wife and I will be staying at reputible hotels on our exploratory trip in November.  Once we commit, we will sell our home and come down and rent for a year or so.  Not being a big city type I would look more to areas like Grecia, San Ramon,  Atenas, etc...  Once we look around we may decide on something closer in.  We would like to be around some folks who speak English, but intend to learn Spanish and make Spanish friends.  We want retiremtne to be our permanent vacation only more relaxed.  Lots of reading ecook and would like to gettc.   I love to  into cooking with local vegies and trying local cuisines.  When we rent, we will be careful, based on your, and others, advice.  I want a place within walking distance of most things required for daily existence.  We would probably get a Jeep like vehicle and maybe a motorcycle for me.  I doubt whether my little sports car would wurvice the CR Potholes I have heard of.

Thanks again.

Bill and Jean