Are there many expats with Macs in Medellin?

Hi All,

I've been living in Buenos Aires for the last two years, and now I'm considering moving to Medellín.
For a few reasons: the inflation here in BA has gotten insane, the weather in the summer is brutal, and it's so far away from the rest of the world that flights are crazy expensive.
I have fond memories of Medellín from when I visited a few years ago.

My question is this: I have been running a small (just myself) informal (under the table) Apple Mac and iPhone business here in BA, and I'm wondering if there would be a market for it there in Medellin. I do hardware and software upgrades, training, and general support to the expat community here. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there are enough expats requiring this service, and a dearth of companies here who know Macs, that it's been easy to carve out a niche for myself.

Obviously Medellín is a much smaller city, with many fewer expats living there.
Would any of you care to hazard a guess as to whether I could continue doing this business there?
I'm happy to service the local Colombian community as well as expats, although I don't know how popular Apple products are in Colombia - experience tells me that it's usually the expats who have them.
I don't know Windows, and anyway probably couldn't compete with the already existing shops for that market.

Thanks in advance,

Josh "MacDaddy"

Hi MacDaddy and welcome to Expat.com!

Wish you Good Luck in your projects.;)

Harmonie.

I don't know if this comes too late, but Macs are quite popular here, even between locals, and all colleges have at least one computing room only with macs, for their quality in graphics design. But you will find some competition too, cause apple itself has some dedicated stores here.