Whats a good salary in Libya?

Hello, I have been offered an opportunity in Libya, and would like to know what is a good salary I can ask for and what are the normal benefits expat people working for natural resources company (oil, coal, gas, etc) can expect or ask for.

Appreciate your responses.

carfermu wrote:

Hello, I have been offered an opportunity in Libya, and would like to know what is a good salary I can ask for and what are the normal benefits expat people working for natural resources company (oil, coal, gas, etc) can expect or ask for.

Appreciate your responses.

What's your line of work, what nationality are you (I know it shouldn' matter, but sometimes it does here), and is it a large company that has given you the offer ?. Generally you either get a free house/apartment or an allowance towards one, search this forum and you will see the general cost of things. Housing can be anywhere between 1000-8000 LYD per month, depending on area size etc. Oh yes, most things are cheap when you get here.

A lot depends upon the employer...the major IOC's pay the top money and it goes down from there.

What is the proposed status - accompanied (with family) or single?

The least you should ask for is:

- Housing provided (or an allowance to cover the same)
- Utilities (electricity, gas, water)
- Leave allowance including paid return flight for you and family (2 per year is normal)
- Medical care for you and family
- A car should be part of the package if you need to travel around Tripoli on business

I won't comment on salary expectations, but you should be making at least what you are in the home country + 25% and be exempt from tax.

Nationality seems to be a more important factor in salaries than level of experience...that's life

Snr Drilling engineer with deepwater & HPHT experience, working 4/4 rotation could be US$300K per year at the other end of the scale a guard from Niger might get LYD400 per month.
Both get accomodation provided.

Hey All, thanks for your quick reply.

It seems is more like for a contract management position / procurement or purchasing area.

I was thinking minimum arnd 4000 USD / month, is that a good living? can money be saved?

Thanks...

carfermu wrote:

Hey All, thanks for your quick reply.

It seems is more like for a contract management position / procurement or purchasing area.

I was thinking minimum arnd 4000 USD / month, is that a good living? can money be saved?

Thanks...

US$4000+house+car+healthcare+schooling (if you have kids)+ holidays & flights, you wouldn't starve

Mudman wrote:

US$4000+house+car+healthcare+schooling (if you have kids)+ holidays & flights, you wouldn't starve

Hey Mudman,

Thanks for the information. Sorry to be a pain, how is teh tax scheme in Lybia?

carfermu wrote:
Mudman wrote:

Hey Mudman,

Thanks for the information. Sorry to be a pain, how is teh tax scheme in Lybia?

Ideally your employer will pay local taxes for you and you would pay a 'hypothetical' tax to your employer. Your employer presumably has a system set up for expat employees.

Hey Everyone, Got a few questions. I was wondering after you get an applicaton for work, make your offer of expected wages and benifits how long does it take to typically get a response from the employers there? Once hired how long does it take to get work visas and such? Has anyone ever asked for too much money and got rejected because of it or do they make a counter offer? Thanks.

hababbi wrote:

Hey Everyone, Got a few questions. I was wondering after you get an applicaton for work, make your offer of expected wages and benifits how long does it take to typically get a response from the employers there?

- How long is a piece of rope?

In my own case, I was made an offer on the spot (at the interview in London) and the formal contract was sent to me a few days later.

Once hired how long does it take to get work visas and such?

- Varies a lot from company to company.

My own work visa took five weeks and the references for my family took another three weeks after that.

Has anyone ever asked for too much money and got rejected because of it or do they make a counter offer?

- Depends on how badly they need your skills and how much you want the job.

A guideline for the salary & benefits on offer is usually given with the job description. Use your common sense, if there is any middle ground you will find it.

Hi... Since you're discussing salaries.. may i ask if you guys have any idea how much is the salary range for a Personal Assitant to the CEO or COO...

Thanks so much!!

Andrea

Lemme think about this a sec....

You're telling us that you've been offered a job, but forgot to ask the salary? :lol:

Hmmmm

Not Less Than 7500 USD + Benifits + Allowances, If you are from North America and Western EU. I do not know about other nationalities but they get paid less than that.

How, then, medical science, doctors and professors have less wages in Libya?

dr55 wrote:

How, then, medical science, doctors and professors have less wages in Libya?

If you are talking about Libyan Doctors ,I think they had pay rises in the recent years and their wages is reasonable and meets the Libya standard of living, although I am not happy with the Libyan Doctor performance.

If you are talking about Expat Doctor, I think Most Expat doctors are from Eastern EU and they get reasonable Sallaries where they can afford both either living in Libya or Back home.

All in all.. Oil producing and oil services Companies Offer the best sallaries to the engineers,technicians and exacutives. Either to Locals or Expats.

What is missing Libyan doctor to have better performance?

Doctor X wrote:

Not Less Than 7500 USD + Benifits + Allowances, If you are from North America and Western EU. I do not know about other nationalities but they get paid less than that.

Err what profession are you talking about with the figure you quoted above ?, if it is for a Doctor from the countries you mention above, then fair enough, but for the likes of an IT engineer working for a Libyan oil company you are having a laugh. I even know of some IT lads working for some of the multi nationals that are on a lot less than that.

dr55 wrote:

What is missing Libyan doctor to have better performance?

They lack alot ,, Misbehaving,Rude with patients (Had my own experience actually) Not organised enough (Compared to other countries doctors) , Lack of knowledge , lackand lack and lack..

Clansman wrote:
Doctor X wrote:

Err what profession are you talking about with the figure you quoted above ?, if it is for a Doctor from the countries you mention above, then fair enough, but for the likes of an IT engineer working for a Libyan oil company you are having a laugh. I even know of some IT lads working for some of the multi nationals that are on a lot less than that.

Ok sir ,, IT engineering is good profession, but I am talking about professions have direct relation with the Oil and Gas day-to-day working , for example,, Petroleum Engineers with 5 years experience from Canada,, his Sallary can reach up to 15,000 USD.

Production Engineer , 6 - 10 thousands USD
Instruement Engineer 10 K USD
Instrument Technician Not less than 5 K USD
Drilling engineer (Libya is desperate for them) could reach up to as high as 20000 USD ,, and believe me  Locals drilling engineers with Sallaries like 15000 LD...

***Mostly these professions are based in the desert not in Tripoli or Benghazi.

***Bear in mind that many employees come through contracters and not mainly have to be hired directly by oil companies.

***Yes we are all working in the oil inductries, but sallaries vary from one profession to another.

i have got offer from libya they are ready to pay me 8000/- lyd per month is that good?

bhauteshv wrote:

i have got offer from libya they are ready to pay me 8000/- lyd per month is that good?

It's good but be careful since you're indian....

Generally speaking salaries will be higher if your work in the company's core business, like oil exploration and production. Drilling engineers and geologists will earn more than people working in supporting roles like IT.

This hold true even for people with similar diploma and experience level. E.g. A drilling engineer with a Master's degree and 15 years of experience will earn more than an electrical engineer with a Master's degree and 15 years of experience.

It's pointless and often frustrating to compare yourself to others. Instead compare what is offered better vs. what you are currently earning. Whether the guy down the hall earns more than you will not affect your purchasing power at home.

Just my 2 cents..

What a common daily wager labour get in Lybia today after revolution ?can any body explain please

Is a General Practitioner Doctor still a demand in Libya? and how much is the average salary of such work per month?

Alfredo Pugal wrote:

Is a General Practitioner Doctor still a demand in Libya? and how much is the average salary of such work per month?

I am almost 110% certain demand for doctors and GP's will be there. Its always been a high demand. Not sure about salary but I would assume it would be much more than before the revolution as its a much larger risk zone nowadays.

hi
any one tell me the current law n order situation of Libya for foreigners

Dear all,

What is the normal salary for Training Director at a hotel in tripoli? And what are the normal benefits?

Hello, I am a doctor-gp (m.b.b.s-12 years experience, mba_hospital administration, md_alternative medicine) from india, just appeared for an interview stating they are representative for moh -libya.there were some arab looking personals taking the interview.finally they offered a post as gp with md, and the representative from the recruiting agency from india explained to me about the terms and conditions which include family status, family accommodations, free schooling for the child and, a salary of 4500 LYD.Is that a genuine argument, is it a genuine agency, are there representative of government visiting india to recruite health proffessionals, including doctors and nurses? Please anyone clarify my doubts, I will be so thankful

Interesting, considering no-one seems to know who has administrative/financial authority in the Ministry of Health.

The elections have only just taken place and the new Minister of Health has not been announced (to my knowledge).

There is a lot of confusion and many promises have been made, which turn to nothing.

Be very careful !

Good luck

Thanks a lot for the valuable reply, as per the agency they promise that a call letter will be provided within 2 weeks, I am waiting for that

Hello all.
This is neha. From India.
Thanks for your discussion for wages at libya.
My Good friend got job offer from libya. He is in IT.
Can any one suggest any thing please for the salary wages.
He has exp. of 3 year and accommodation and other facility will be provided by company.
But I want to know about food.
Is there veg.foods are available easily at tripoli?
Is there any one from India? Indian foods will be available or not?
Can you please let me know.
Thank you all.

neha goswami wrote:

Hello all.
He has exp. of 3 year and accommodation and other facility will be provided by company.
Thank you all.

Hi,

IT wages range from 900 to 3000LYD depending on the company and position.

Some Libyan cuisine is vegetarian, vegetarian ingredients can be purchased easily, Indian restaurants do exist.

thank you very much for your instant reply

TripoLi_ wrote:
neha goswami wrote:

Hello all.
Thank you all.

Hi,

Some Libyan cuisine is vegetarian, vegetarian ingredients can be purchased easily, Indian restaurants do exist.

Thank you very much for you fast reply.
Company is good and Position too.
Thank you so much again.

neha goswami wrote:
TripoLi_ wrote:
neha goswami wrote:

Hello all.
Thank you all.

Hi,

Thank you very much for you fast reply.
Company is good and Position too.
Thank you so much again.

what should be salary for Planning scheduler
freshed?

hi neha, i am from india working in libya tripoli from last 7 months (with family), there are some pakistani shops in tripoli where you can find allmost all spices and  vegetarian, vegetarian ingredients are also aveleble in city. there is only 1 Indian restaurants in tripoli i have been there 3-4 times.
Salary is depends on the company and position. local ppl are getting salary between 800 to 2000lyd.
if you need any help or info u can write or ping me on my gtalk id [email protected]

bhauteshv wrote:

hi neha, i am from india working in libya tripoli from last 7 months (with family), there are some pakistani shops in tripoli where you can find allmost all spices and  vegetarian, vegetarian ingredients are also aveleble in city. there is only 1 Indian restaurants in tripoli i have been there 3-4 times.
Salary is depends on the company and position. local ppl are getting salary between 800 to 2000lyd.
if you need any help or info u can write or ping me on my gtalk id [email protected]

thank u very much sir,
what should be expected salary over there for indians
for the post of planning scheduler?

HI,
as i said salary depends on post, u can say it should be above 4000 lyd, your monthly expanse will be somewhere 800 to 1200 for 1 family (2 adult and 1 kid) without rent.

bhauteshv wrote:

HI,
as i said salary depends on post, u can say it should be above 4000 lyd, your monthly expanse will be somewhere 800 to 1200 for 1 family (2 adult and 1 kid) without rent.

ok thank u vry much

neha goswami wrote:
bhauteshv wrote:

HI,

ok thank u vry much

Dear Mr.Bhautesh,

I have a question.

As per the company policy they have mention as below:
Salary 1500 USD (without local tax).
Payment condition : USD Only (employee should bear account transfer fee of salary)

can you please let me know about local tax?