Cost of living in Toronto

Elettra_90 wrote:

well..I chose Toronto for working reasons..and also its closer to europe than Vancouver and is an English region..plus it looks beautiful! :)
is sad to know is such expensive..I hope I'll find a good place to stay...

actually I have a couple of questions..
how much does it take to cross by underground the entire city?
how do you fight winter?
what is the thug you prefer and the one you hate most?

thank you!!

Toronto and the rest of Canada is really English speaking but of all the cities it is to most Ethnic city of all. It is really beautiful but you wait and see Niagara Falls witch is only a few kilometers away.

As for the price for living there, it's not really that bad. The Appart you will find will incur usually 30 to 40 % of your total income. After that you have to count Cell and/or Land Line, Heating if Gas or Propane or other and Electricity. In Ontario it is becoming more and more expensive since they went private... You have to learn to live with that.

As for the Temperature Toronto is really nice. Being Southerner then Ottawa or Quebec City and Montreal, it enjoys a warm summer and sometime harsh winters but they don't last as much as the other cities mentioned. You might get 1 or 2 snow storms between Oct and March but they never last more then a couple of days and the temperature is known to have dipped quite a bit but it never last for very long. Just dress warn and if you want to pass for a Canadian just say you hate winter !!!

As for the best way to get around in the city it's going to be the Buses and the Metro...

Cash fares right now are :
Adult $3.00 - Post-Secondary - Student $3.00 - Senior/Student $2.00 - Child 75¢

Tickets & Tokens   
3 tokens tokens for $7.80 - 7 tokens tokens for $18.20 - 5 senior/student tickets for $8.75 - 10 senior/student tickets for $17.50 - 10 child tickets for $6.00

Monthly Metropass   
Adult $126.00 / Senior/Student $104.00

and there is also...
Day Passes $10.50 / GTA Weekly Pass $54.00 / Post-Secondary Students Metropass $104.00

And in like every big cities, if you live where you have an underground access to the Metro you might not have to go outside all day if you wish. You'll find an assortment of stores for every tastes. Make sure you hit the Eaton Shopping Center - It's huge - I like it !!!

Now for this part..
what is the thug you prefer and the one you hate most?
I don't know what you mean ! You refer to thugs as Rapper or Criminals ???
If it's Rappers then it has to be Snoopy Dog but if you are speaking of criminals then it's Al Capone...

I hope it helps a bit and if you want to know anything else do not hesitate and if some other reader find any errors Please feel free to butt in :lol:

ha ha ha sorry!! for thug I meant thing!!! typing mistake!!
well...those have been very useful info! I've been to Niagara in 2009 on both USA and Canadian part...gorgeous!!!!
well..I believe that if you consider more than an hour just "few kilometers" you'll find everything unbelievably close in Trento! here 20mins by car are considered quite a trip! :):)

Yes I get that !

There is a saying here that goes...

In 4 hours in Canada you're still in the same Province.
Where in Europe you could probably cross 4 countries.

I like that ! I love the open Space !!

About Toronto I forgot to mention that food is reasonable.
Be it, at restaurants (fast food & others) to Street Venders but you can also find some high class affordable restaurants. You can look up the Yellow Pages, once on site, to see food by localities near you or by the ethnic specialty.

Toronto is also a hub for tourists. With the Needle (CN TOWER) that you can see from about everywhere, to museum, and shows, and Fairs, and Activities like jazz and film Festivales etc = It's a lively city.

It even have it's own French community !

And If you ever travel throughout Canada, you will find that we, the French speaking minority, are everywhere. We contributed a lot to this beautiful country that I am expatriating myself from... I might miss it !

Ontario has a really strong rent control law -- even units for rent in some condos are covered!  Always check the law -- coverage depends on WHEN the condo was built.

Over and above limiting rent increases, that law has a STRONG landlord tenant court that deals with a variety of issues!  We would NEVER buy in Toronto -- too many English-speaking peasants bidding up prices.  "Smart money RENTS!"