Girls where do you buy your Abayas?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering where do you get your abayas. I want to know about where to get a nice abaya (Not the plain ones) that I won't have to pay a fortune to get it. I tried many places but I still not sure about how much is too much & how little is too little. I usually prefer not to spend more than 400SR on a abaya especially that they don't last for long. How much you spend on yours, & where do you prefer to shop for them?

There are some great shops in Dhira!  Just go over there and browse around.

Thank God we dont have to worry about this........

Nahhhhh.. buying an abaya is FUN!  Esp. since it's an article of clothing that will actually be SEEN in public :lol:

Allie can you tell me where's that, pls??

Alisan, Salman can give you directions to Dhira. 

If you'd like to meet there one Thursday afternoon to shop, drop me a PM and I'll give you my cell # and we'll make arrangements!

Sounds great Allie. I'll try to arrange something soon! & thanks for the offer I appreciate it :)

oh ,I m late and you girls would have bought it already:(

i usually buy it from Kuwaiti Market,i like this place quite a lot.Since i don't get my size in desired designs so i have to get it stitched:rolleyes:

i had to go last weekend for the same purpose but my job timings r too tough to allow shopping activities anymore.

i dun even have time to scratch my bum....lmao :lol::lol::lol:

i dun even have time to scratch my bum....lmao

lol  where did you learn this expression ?!?

But the good news, you didn't miss anything!  I've heard of the Kuwaiti market but have never been there.  It's a place I'd really like to check out so maybe it's better than the Dhira plan!

Hi everyone!

I recently found a really good website to buy abayas from. NadaFashions.com has nice abayas at awesome prices. My mom and I each bought a few and they turned out great! The only downside is that I don't think they ship out of the US. Hope you guys find this helpful inshallah.

Hi Ballin, Thanks for the tip!  It could be useful for people from the USA who are coming to KSA and need to get one before arrival.

Once you get here, though, there are many actual abaya shops with 1000's of abayas to choose from :)

My wife has found some decent Abayas at two venues:-

1.the souk at Masmak fort.
2.royal mall on King Fahad Highway

She informs me that these places are significantly cheaper than the shops in Malls for Abayas.

Alliecat wrote:

i dun even have time to scratch my bum....lmao

lol  where did you learn this expression ?!?

But the good news, you didn't miss anything!  I've heard of the Kuwaiti market but have never been there.  It's a place I'd really like to check out so maybe it's better than the Dhira plan!

hehehe its just what i really really feel these days,i m getting terriable in every true aspect:(

Anyway yeah Kuwati is good but the real problem is my size:mad:

i just cant get there and pick it up :(:(:( and I dont spend more than 200 to 300 on Abaya...How far you girls usually  can spend on it>?

It seems that nowadays the hip thing is to go for DESIGNER Abhayas witk lots of gold/silver embroidery stitched on to it. Nice, indeed.

musicman,can I have one as a gift???:lol:

ok, no problemo. wats yr size? how will u collect? seriously. i sit at my clients office at Al Aqariya III complex on the 2nd floor. Pass by and you can have yr Abhaya...

awwww this is shhoooo sweet:P:P:P

and about my size;

you wont be able to find it ready made on the same planet....lets go to venus to have one hehehehe lmbao:P

hmmmmm theres a Pakistani tailor i  know who has a small shop close to my place. I bet he can conjure up one on his prehistoric pedal Singer sewing machine?

I bet he can conjure up one on his prehistoric pedal Singer sewing machine?

hehehehe

i love your effort[of brain] i know one guy pak guy in Kuwaiti and shola market and i get these black stuff on order:)

ok, my offer is only valid till Wed. I am travelling to Jeddah on Sunday nite and will only be bak on Wed evening to attend a workshop.

Wow, I might be needing to know the name of your tailor at some point in the future, musicman :)

As for price of abayas, I have two of them, nonz, and each one cost 100SAR (they started off costing more but I haggled 'em down).  I haven't seen one I wanted badly enough that cost more plus I didn't know how long I'd stay in Kingdom so I've tried to keep my outlay low.

Hey Nonz you made me laugh when you said you 'Don't have time to scratch me bum'..that is a very typical saying in Australia when someone has been very busy.

Does anyone know how much the abayas cost at the market held in the Kingdom compound?
I want one of those with the hood and lined in turquoise and then I am going to spend 10 leisurely hours beading the collar and sleeves.:cool:

Hey!  bead MINE while you're at it!  :lol:

No problemo smarty pants :)

No problemo smarty pants

Oh my gosh.  You just really made me laugh, remembering the times I have tried to explain the connotative meaning of the idiom 'smarty pants' to non-native speakers of English!

Even when you can get them past the fact that it has nothing to do with clothing, it's very difficult to make them understand that the expression is usually used in a playful (not insulting) way. 

My solution?  I try to avoid using this expression with non-native speakers of English! :lol::lol::lol:

musicman:ok, my offer is only valid till Wed. I am travelling to Jeddah on Sunday nite and will only be bak on Wed evening to attend a workshop.

i love the offer but you know i cant take it.your wife kill me for this...:lol:

Alliecat:As for price of abayas, I have two of them, nonz, and each one cost 100SAR

Thx God!! At last i know one woman,who is not spending fortune on Abayas:D:D:D

Ioanna:Hey Nonz you made me laugh when you said you 'Don't have time to scratch me bum'..that is a very typical saying in Australia when someone has been very busy.

hehehe this is what we say exactly in Pakistan when we r damn busy,i m glad to have my spouse to give extra hand:lol::lol:...oops!bad joke :D

wow, nonz is really getting cheeky!  oops, another bad pun!  :lol::lol::lol:

Its healthy to be cheeky some time:P:P:P....isn't it??

A buttock is referred to as a 'cheek' in American English.  So.. an extra hand to scratch your 'bum'/'cheeky' .. get it? get it?

:lol:

yeah i know...In london when ever we[group of galz]
we used to see some guys with good bumz,we always mumble "hey nice cheeks" :Pvhehehe...Ahhhh  what a good old time

but I refered cheeky as an adjective,as an cheeky behaviour or what so ever and your cheeky was a noun...[which has just reminded me some good old cheeks]:D:D
get it get it???;););)

Came across a massive Abhaya Store called MY FAIR LADT on the first floor of Al Aqariya 3 on Olaya Street. Ladies, beware!!!

Wow, I learn so many idioms from you, guys... cheeky, smarty pants, scratch my bum... !!! :)

For abayas, lately I bought from Bedoon Esm (in Ghornata Mall), and Marent (also there at the same floor). But I am not after abayas with crystals and so on any more. With every wash some crystals get lost, colors...lose their colors, etc.

After all I start to enjoy this plain black color. It makes me imagine that I live in some futuristic community of super-humans. All equal and dressing equally... "Equilibrium" style.

Am I losing my mind? :lol:

I bought a really nice one from Makkah for 150SR if I were to buy here in Riyadh I wont get it for less than 500 SR & of course I wont be buying it for that price!! You probably can ask someone to get you one or two from there if you trust their taste of course.

musicman wrote:

Came across a massive Abhaya Store called MY FAIR LADT on the first floor of Al Aqariya 3 on Olaya Street. Ladies, beware!!!

I bet it would be expensive :rolleyes:

After all I start to enjoy this plain black color. It makes me imagine that I live in some futuristic community of super-humans. All equal and dressing equally... "Equilibrium" style.

Am I losing my mind?

:lol::lol::lol: yeah u right but if u want the real Equilibrium feeling...get the abayas with hood and keep repeating in that robotic voice"We are humans we are same We are humans we are same" :lol::lol::lol: I would tell Allie,CAF,Loanna and other Eagles to get one too :D

We are humans we are same We are humans we are same"

I like that!  :lol::lol: 

I only have two abayas.  One purchased in the states with a 1/2 zippeer & pockets - I love this one! The other is a tad more formal and it has snaps & gold glitter...  I love scarfs - so Im always looking for soft, colored scarfs to wear with them.  :P

I didnt ask for prices as it would have made it rather embarassing for me to do so.

...and now an Arab Miss USA...2010
without the Abhaya of course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqlFgZg6Lbg

Ok Musicman, Olaya St is quite long but I am willing to go have a look at this store. How close is it to say, Tony Roma's..?

I would tell Allie,CAF,Loanna and other Eagles to get one too

I like the idea of a hooded abaya..I believe they sell them at a market stall in a compound..Do they sell them in the shop as well or are they custom made for expats?

...and how about we do an abaya swap with each other??
Yeah,we can be the Sisterhood of the Travelling Abayas:lol:

Ioanna wrote:

Ok Musicman, Olaya St is quite long but I am willing to go have a look at this store. How close is it to say, Tony Roma's..?

wow loanna u r new and still knowing alot....good sign girl

and yeah i love the idea of changing the abayas,the only problem is i would need your 3 abayas to make one for me :D:D:D