Jakarta: what do u like / hate about Jakarta?

Hi everyone,

I am writing a blog about Jakarta life and would like to ask you guys a question for one of my next posts (want to make a list of things other people say about Jakarta):

What do you like and what do you hate about Jakarta?

Really appreciate your reply and please also let me know whether you live in Jakarta (work, study, anything else) or just visitor (tourism, family visit, etc.)

Thank you in advance!!

Britt

A question.
Why, if it's a personal blog, do you want opinions from others?
Surely a blog is your own work.

Sorry for not being clear, It's like a questionnaire :-)

Of course I have (and write about) my own opinion, but I want to make a list of things that other people like or don't like and give my own comments. That's why I'm collection data from other expats / foreigners in Jakarta now.

Hope it's clear now!

Have a nice weekend,

Britt

Still not quite sure but I'll tell you anyway.

I like pretty much everything expect the roads, the terrible internet and the farce called Dandut.

The people are amazing. Love them.
The food is better than amazing; especially nasi gila.

I hate:
*its horrible traffic at rush hours
*its TIKUS2(large mice as large as cat)Many years ago i saw one *just running from under one table to the next one in HI garden when having dinner.there are many &very dangerous to people health.
(Frankly we have even bigger ones in TEHRAN leaving in family groups in open waste water canals freely !they are brave enough to hold wedding/ birthday party there!!)
*its pick pockets..
*its dirty horrible atmosphere is slum areas &..

BUT I LOVE:

*Friendly locals     
*very delicious foods mainly Padang foods & SEA FOODS
*Very well managed &safe shopping malls
*City night view
*Very tasty fruits specially Mango/Papaya/Pineapple/fresh Coconut(kelapa mudah)and nanka,as well as various drinks mixture of fruit cubes with coconut milk + some other majic things..
*Crystal water all around thousand islands.
***The warm family atmosphere inside the houses.
****The respect paid to elderly as a valuable tradition in Indonesian culture.
*****Warm &frank manner &love,respect and attention the majority Indonesian women are paying to their men,whether husband or .as the bread winner.

TUHAN MEMBARAKATI INDONESIA

I hate:
*its TIKUS2(large mice as large as cat).
Many years ago i saw one just running from under one table to the next one in HI garden when having dinner.there are many &very dangerous to people health.
(Frankly we have even bigger ones in TEHRAN leaving in family groups in open waste water canals freely !they are brave enough to hold wedding/ birthday party there!!)
*its pick pockets..
*its dirty horrible atmosphere in slum areas &..
*Public cigaret smoking more or less everywhere specially in trains..

BUT I LOVE:

*Friendly locals &their warm/frank admission of foreigners..   
*Very delicious foods mainly Padang foods & all SEA FOODS!
*City night view
*Very tasty fruits specially Mango/Papaya/Pineapple/Fresh Coconut(Kelapa mudah)and Nanka,as well as various drinks mixture of fruit cubes with coconut milk + some other magic things..
*Crystal water all around "Thousand islands:an hour from Ancol by boat..
***Warm family atmosphere in houses.
****Respect paid to elderly as a valuable tradition in Indonesian culture.
*****Warm &frank manner &love,respect and attention the majority Indonesian women are paying to their men,whether husband or.... .as the bread winner.

Hi! It's amazing that after only 2 years I found out about this forum - but as they say, better late than never. Anyhoo, in reply to your question:

Like:
- how easy it is to get help. I live in an apartment and as many would already know, bringing up groceries to one's unit can be such a pain. The extremely helpful 'satpam' are always there to help you with your heavy lifting.
- the foodies! i looove trying out new food and there's sooo many to choose from - although i do find myself sneaking back to good ole 'Komala's' for my 'mamak' fix :)

Hate:
- the extremely horrendous traffic, the 'angkot', the motorbikes, and the kopaja buses. I've never seen so many motorcylists at a red light - and sometimes 4 of them on a bike - without helmets!
- beggars at a red light. Ironically, i was told that majority actually live a decent life, even double storey houses!

Hope this helps!
EJ

i  hate d transportation,so messy

n also d air polution God help me with it

but i love d food,friendly local ppl

wo ai ni jakarta

I love almost everything in Jakarta, except :
- Traffic jam
- Pollution

Itu tikus tikus memang membandel. Hahahaha...
Those mice are like that.

The conclusion is i agree with him. The foods are great, although from the peddlers, such as gado-gado. The traditional cakes like what we find in the traditional market too. The chinese food. The restaurant, bakmi gang kelinci(rabbit alley noodles), hahaha, funny now i translate it to you all! The mal is the heaven for food.

The bad things are the traffic. Wherever you go there is a traffic jam. Causing the air full of pollution and dusts. I have to close my nose with mask when i go out.

abdollahdehnad wrote:

I hate:
*its TIKUS2(large mice as large as cat)Many years ago i saw one *just running from under one table to the next one in HI garden when having dinner.there are many &very dangerous to people health.
*its pick pockets..
*its dirty horrible atmosphere is slum areas &..

BUT I LOVE:

*Friendly locals     
*very delicious foods mainly Padang foods & SEA FOODS
*City night view
*Very tasty fruits specially Mango/Papaya/Pineapple/fresh Coconut(kelapa mudah)and nanka,as well as various drinks mixture of fruit cubes with coconut milk + some other majic things..
*Crystal water all around thousand islands.
***The warm family atmosphere inside the houses.
****The respect paid to elderly as a valuable tradition in Indonesian culture.
*****Warm &frank manner &love,respect and attention the majority Indonesian women are paying to their men,whether husband or .as the bread winner.

i like martabak... especailly rudy's martabak. ftw!
the malls are just great. except for some super crowded malls but i like their cheap stuff. i love the wide roads and the toll/expressway that you won't get lost but...

im having trouble conversing with some locals. i cant speak bahasa. the super heavy traffic even if you take the toll, of course during rush hours and the motorcycles that just doesn't care if you're behind and will just cut infront of you while your driving.

hehe

Jakarta is miss-able, wherever you go out from this country, you'll find out that you are already want to go back soon. The warmth people and the food can't be comparable in other country.

Even the traffic can make you miss Jakarta :)

Cheers,

Devi

Hellow all,

May i join with this conversation?
when you live in Jakarta, and the traffic horrible

what did you do to not get bored in your own vehicle?

-BlossomCherrys-

@BlossomCherrys for me, i used to listen to the music very loud, sing along and dancing around like nobody cares :)

Or else, u can just mall-ing around until no traffic at all, which is a bit late hours though. Go to cinema or dine-in and window shopping, it helps :)

Thank you

wooaaa.. where do you live in Jakarta Devi??

I live in Bekasi but my office in Kuningan, haha a bit far, but i'm tired of driving through the traffic so I used trains :), save my time much better.

I'm Indonesian and live in Jakarta.

What I like:
Food - Jakarta has many variations of food (local, Chinese food and Western). But, Jakarta is so best at Chinese food to be compared than some neighbor countries.

Malls - Jakarta has malls everywhere and it's easy to get there!

What I hate:
Traffic - totally disaster! After office hour, you could probably spend approximate 1.5 up to 2 hours on the street to get home.

Safety - It's not like some other countries. Too danger for you to go out especially late nite. Never do that in Jakarta.

Transportation - so much miserable and unorganized. Spend long time to wait for buses.

Pollution - it's everywhere. Comes from public transportation and cigarettes; out of control

I hate Jakarta traffic the most! it always takes me 2-2.5 hours to drive from home to office.  I think i should move to CBD to get closer to office.

But Jakarta's food is one of the best, i get foodgasm for eating sweet sour crab, ayam goreng and pempek haha..talking about food, is there Food forum here?

cheers

I love jakarta
because have many entertainment at this city

I love everything about jakarta except the traffic and broken public fasilities:)

hate : i hate traffic jam...  like : for shopping!!! hahaha

I like the awesome people. I don't like the traffic jam.

Live in Jakarta for work and study.
Thanks.

I think almost people complain about the traffic, yes absolutely I agree. Pollution is also annoying, the public transportation is not comfortable.
However, Jakarta is unique city where we can meet people around the world. The food is various and the mall is great though I prefer traditional market, unfortunately it is not arranged well and not comfortable enough.

brittdoo wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am writing a blog about Jakarta life and would like to ask you guys a question for one of my next posts (want to make a list of things other people say about Jakarta):

What do you like and what do you hate about Jakarta?

Really appreciate your reply and please also let me know whether you live in Jakarta (work, study, anything else) or just visitor (tourism, family visit, etc.)

Thank you in advance!!

Britt

Hey, I live in Jakarta as I was born in here. I'm a colleger. I mostly love anything in here, except the crowded for sure! :)

I am an Indonesian living in China

Love ;

- Food, You can find almost everything. Traditional food from all over Indonesia as well as the international cuisines.
- Hangout places, from cafes, restaurants,movies, bars to nightclubs. You will never get bored.

Hate ;

- Traffic, all day all night. Yay!
- The humidity

Just 2 months in Jakarta... n here's my perspective of the city

1. the people here... very humble n friendly :D
2. the infrastructure... just amazing !!! (as compared to India at least)
3. the malls :)
4. Food... m a vegetarian... n m still managing to find good Veggie food in Jakarta (n Medan... the 2 cities i have visited)
5. the gals... (being very honest here... :P)
6. nightlife !

Dislikes:
1. Traffic... freakishly bad !
2. Internet... Worse... !!
3. Safety on roads (especially with Rash Drivers: Bikes)... Worst !!!

But all-in-all... Cheers to such an open culture... :D