Moving to Auckland - cost of living / taxe /etc

Hi,
I am new to forum. Seek your guidance as I am considering to move to Auckland, NZ. I am from India, had a decade long work experience in USA and UK.
How much would I get in hand if I have 100K NZ dollar per annum salary? considering taxes and other deductions. I understand that cost of living in Auckland is quite high.

How much would I need to spend for a decent life for a family of 3 (including me)?

If I move alone initially, what would be the cost of living considering a non-sharing accomodation?

Thanks in Advance for your help,
BK

Hello bk123.

Welcome to Expat.com!

For better visibility, your post has been moved to the Auckland forum. :)

I hope other members will soon be able to advise you.

Thank you,
Aurélie

I don't remember what the tax rate is for that income bracket but expect between 23-30%. Unless you have a job lined up before you arrive, don't be surprised to end up working for less. The job market right now is a little depressed given the economy and you'll be competing against many other applicants.

If you're wanting to rent a house, am assuming you have kids, then be prepared to pay in excess of 3 - 500 dollars a week for something reasonably decent. Add to that utilities and water. It all depends on how close you want to live near the city and the kind of neighbourhood you wish to live in. Have a look at some of my other comments here regarding finding somewhere to rent. At the moment the rental market is quite squeezed as the demand currently exceeds supply, thus the prices are somewhat higher at the moment.

Hope this helps, ask away if you want to know more.

Andrew

Hi! I think the tax rate for wages above $80,000 a year is around 36%. There is a site called trademe.nz.co where you can look at rentals and real estate. I think that there is also a cost of living calculator that will show you how much you have to make to maintain a certain life style.
I hope this helps.
VC

Hi VC,

The income tax rate here has a few tiers. The more money you make the more you get taxed through each tier. You can see the the rates and exmaples of how it works here.

Hope this helps.

[email protected]