Car Dealers in Tripoli

Hi all,
I have just arrived in Tripoli to work for the Waha Oil Company, they give me a driver for 3 months, but after that, I will need to buy my own car, so can anyone point me in the right direction of a good seconhand car dealer in Tripoli
Cheers
Geoff

I dont know if the respond is too late but you can find some second hand dealers in Hay- Demashek area... And there are a lot arounf al wefa hospital...

Hi,
Thanks for that, I dont know where them areas are, so will have to ask a few guys at work, so thanks for the help
Regards
Geoff

There's a place approx 400m up Gargaresh Rd on the right - he imports cars and bikes from Europe and the US. Pricey though...

Thanks for the tips, as we all know who live up Regatte way, the Gargaish Road is expensive for most things, as they think all the rich ex-pats live around this way. I have discovered 11th June Street, there are loads of dealers around there, so now the only problem is getting the cash out to pay for it. In this day and age when your talking serious cash, you would think you could arrange a Bank Transfer, but it's cash they want.

Where is 11th June Street GR?

You go past the big church that is now a mosk, not far from the Al-Kabir hotel, I will try and drive to find it this Saturday all being well, as I was shown it by one of the guys I work with, Its a shame my sat nav dont work here, that would have made things far easier

What satnav do you have? I've found a map for Garmin but it doesn't work for Tom Tom

Hi,
I have a Garmin 610T, but that also does not work in Tripoli, I just ask the locals in work, then get lost then find new places I never knew excisted :-)
Cheers
Geoff

Sandman6 wrote:

Where is 11th June Street GR?

The best way to go to 11th June street is to take the fast coastal road towards Tajoura (East). After about 5Km you shall reach a bing roundabout. Take the first right, this is 11th June road.
You shall go by several marble shops, before starting to find car dealers on both sides.

I have found it but never went to the bottom, how far down do the car dealers go?, or do you know of any other good car sales places
Cheers
Geoff

Well, coming from the seaside and driving south, it is about 2km before you start finding plenty of car dealers. Before that are big shops for marble, ceramics and bathroom furniture.

Below are the coordinates of the beginning of 11th June road, from the sea side.
Latitude:  32°54'23.63"N
Longitude: 13°14'46.58"E

Thanks for that Joe, I think I have found them all then, as I have been up there a few times now, still nothing tickles my fancy as yet, I do have a company car for the next 2 and a half months, so no immediate pressure to buy a car, but I will have to get one bought and all the number plates etc before I hand my company car back in.
Thanks for your help
Regards
Geoff

"have been up there a few times now"

What kind of price are you finding for a 4x4?, I am currently looking at a move to Tripoli and would be interested in the cost. While the company will provide transport I do not like the corperate BS that intials.

Thanks

Well depends of what type of 4x4 we're talking about.

Most spread are Hyundai Tucson found brand new for 19K LYD, and Hyundai Santa Fé ranging between 34K and 38K depending on the equipment level.

As for used 4x4, the choice isn't wide. I found a Nissan Murano at 30K and a BMW X3 for 28K, but you can also find Nissan Xtrail and Suzuki Vitara. Pajeros are hard to find.

Check out this site for more details: www.carlibya.com

Thanks for the link that is a great help.

Just to ad an update, I have had a word with the local guy that sorts out all our company cars. He tells me to stay well clear  of 11th June street as they rip off ex pats and the price can even double, also you don't get any warranty, he advised me to go to the Kia dealer and look at their range, as you get full main dealer back up and warranty, or to take a look at the Mercedes dealer just off the bypass, he also deals in Hyundai, The price I got quoted for a Sante Fey up 11th June Street was 30,000 LYD, but because of the language barrier I'm not sure what exact model it was, also if you are settled on a Sante Fey, they do 2 V6 engines for the US market a 2.7l that puts out an asmatic 144BHP, or a 3.3l that puts out a more respectable 238BHP, with the roads and general traffic chaos out here you won't be able to make full use of all them horses, but in the race for that gap or away from the lights it could be handy.

If you do buy an expensive car, make sure you take out the proper insurance, their is a goverment insurance that is compulsory, at approx 26 lyd but it's just like another tax, and is not worth the paper it is written on. A proper Insurance that will pay out is approx 500lyd. No matter how good a driver you are, some of the locals seem to drive with their eyes closed, and it's not a matter of if you will have a bump, more like when
Cheers
Geoff

Are Mitsubishi's widely available in Libya - thinking of importing mine but want to be sure I can get parts/service etc...Can't seem to find much ino on the web....

There are plenty of Mitsubishi cars on the road in Tripoli, if you have a Japanese or Korean car, spares are widely available, if you have a German car the spare parts can be expensive, if you import your car be wary of the import duty, our works customs guy says if you import your own car the duty can be as much as 30%
Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Geoff - I'll dig into the Import Duty question a little further. Good to know parts, servicing etc available if the Import Duty is not prohibitive......

Hi what kind of car are you questing and how much do you want to spend? I will ship directly from Toronto, any car, model or year.
Thanks

geoffroberts13 wrote:

Hi all,
I have just arrived in Tripoli to work for the Waha Oil Company, they give me a driver for 3 months, but after that, I will need to buy my own car, so can anyone point me in the right direction of a good seconhand car dealer in Tripoli
Cheers
Geoff

Lots of valuable info.
I am about to transfer from Bahrain to Libya and I have a 2007 Pajero sport the top of the range 3 door 3.8l V^ I have only done 50 k km and hate to sell it.
Can anyone confirm as mentioned in a previous post if there is in fact a 30 % import duty ? and also what sort of price woud this model be in Lyd?
Thanks
Steve

[Moderated: No free advertisement on the forum please]

[Moderated : No free ads on the forum, please register yourself in our business directory ]