Healthcare in Niger

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Niger ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Niger?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

There is basically no healthcare system in Niger. Aside from the public hospitals -where nobody sane would go-, some private clinics exist in Niamey, Zinder and Agadez. Otherwise, better not be sick. Except for Malaria. They surely know how to treat it!
The other option is to have friends working in NGO health oriented, and see them in case of problem. An insurance is mandatory, with a evasan/medevac option.

Hi GriffinDark,

Thank you for this info.

Here are some other miscellaneous details about healthcare in Niger:

1)  The supply of pharmaceuticals is decent and affordable.  As an American in Niger for 10 years, only twice have I purchased a medicine that exceeded the cost of my U.S. insurance co-pay in Niger.  The majority of time for common ailments, I can go a pharmacy in Niamey, Maradi or Zinder (the three communities I've spend time in) and find a drug that will deal with my health problem--usually for less than $10. I know, though, that if you have chronic problems like diabetes or high blood pressure, the drugs are more expensive and sometimes more difficult to find.

2) I've used Tafadek Denistry in Niamey and found them to be clean, professional and cheap.  In fact, we've had visiting Americans who chose to have a routine dentistry need handled there for a fraction of the cost it would have been in the States.

3) In the Nigerien interior, there are usually Western missionary doctors at the SIM Galmi Hospital (between Birnin Konni and Madaoua) and the SIM CSL Danja (south of Maradi). Again, treatment is very affordable.  I had a Singapore surgeon perform a minor outpatient surgery for about $25 there.

4) In general, it is best to deal with a minor health problem by seeing a doctor at a private clinic that your friends have recommended to you and not go to a public hospital, except for emergencies. 

5) The public hospital will most likely have a new doctor on call during off-duty hours and emergencies.  You will need to bring someone who can help run down the medical supplies (bandages, syringes, scalpels, etc) as everything is "pay-first" before treatment. 

6)Even when a private clinic admits you as a patient, you will be expected to pay a substantial deposit amount "up-front" that will then be deducted from the cost of your stay.  You can usually get a private, air-conditioned room at such clinics.  You will need to rely on friends and family, though, to feed you at any health institution in Niger where you have been admitted.

Just for some perspective, these are the health issues I've dealt with locally in the 10 years of living in Niger:

1) Hypothyroidism (purchase medicine each month for control).
2) Two children born here with normal delivery
3) Skin rashes (saw a Nigerien dermatologist in Niamey)
4) Allergies (prescribed cortico-steroids)
5) A gash in my daughter's head that required stitches at the Zinder hospital in the early evening
6) Several cases of malaria in the family (purchase drugs)
7) A family member with mental illness.  This was the hardest to deal with and if not for a French psychiatrist in Niamey, it could have turned out very badly, as Nigerien doctors were too restrained in their treatments.
8) Several cases of stomach problems, including food poisoning (purchase drugs)
9) Many, many minor infections (purchase antibiotics).
10) Removal of a hydrocele (surgery at a mission hospital)
11) A chipped tooth (went to Tafadek in Niamey for repair)
12) Broken eyeglasses: purchased new frame 1x in Niamey and 1x in Maradi for my wife.

That's quite true, though one shall be careful buying drugs, especially along Nigeria's borders where shitloads of counterfeit medicines.

Proper medical facilities I know in Niamey are Tafadek dentistry, as John stated, Gamkalley clinic and Jean Kaba Clinic. I alos forgot to say that the French Military Cooperation Mission has a doctor, who is generally also a fully qualified surgeon. He is not supposed to treat civilians, but usually goes for it if asked nicely. A couple of beers settle the bill!

I heard Zinder has a good clinic, but I've never been there. May be John can tell us more about it. Maradi... Last time one of my staff had a problem, we had to airevac him as.

But anyway, regarding the initial topic, as there is no healthcare system, a patient is expected to pay up front. From my own experience though, it is possible to be refunded by your own national healtcare (French social security for me and Spanish SS for a friend).

In any case, a private insurance with airevac/medevac cover is a good idea. For information, a medevac to Europe is billed around € 50,000.

Thank you for your contribution johns632! :)

Aurélie

I don't believe the reputable pharmacies sell counterfeit drugs in Niger.  They get their drugs through the state-run Pharmatech Depot and it appears that the mark-ups are regulated by law because I've bought the same drugs in Zinder, Maradi and Niamey for exactly the same price.  Now they're more expensive then the "street drugs" and most Nigeriens of limited means won't make the legit pharmacies their first stop.

In general, I agree that any serious medical problem will likely require leaving Niger for treatment, but if you can find good medical advice, you can get adequate treated for many minor ailments in Niger.

Yes sorry, that's true that pharmacies are quite serious and most of the drugs sold in pharmacies in Niger are checked by reputable european health agencies. I was thinking about street vendors or small shops.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

In general, Niger lacks Western-quality health care services in many areas, particularly in complicated and expensive procedures that require the latest technology and advanced training.  The national hospitals can be a minefield of rude and poorly-trained doctors, incredibly long waits, inadequate supplies and staff that are often on strike or simply unwilling to help with the simplest requests.  As a result, private clinics such as Magori, Gamkalle, Alissa, Pasteur et Couronne Nord are probably the best route.  For a list, go to: http://www.lespagesjaunesafrique.com/so … -hopitaux/

Now, on the other hand, some of the services that are available in NIger, such as an MRI at Clinique Magori are an absolute bargain in comparison to what you would pay in the West !

Hello, do anyone have experience and advice on relocating to Niger with a newborn ( 4-6 months old baby). Are there reliable private clinics to offer infant care? what are the most common diseases/risks for infants?

Any tips would be highly appreciated. Many thanks!

My cousin is a good pediatric doctor in Niamey.Have you find a good one?