Is New Zealand a safe country to live in?

Hello all,
          I am new to this forum and didn't find the topic on mind after going through the search feature of the website.

I am travelling to New Zealand on a student VISA and I want to complete my education and head back to my home country [India] after completing it.

I've heard a lot about New Zealand being a safe country to live in and that's my prime reason to pursue my education there. I've also heard that the crime rate in NZ is very low. But, recently, across many news channels I've witnessed a lot of bad news coming from NZ. Lot of murder and racial assault cases are coming to light. Now I am worried whether if I should cancel my plans of studying in NZ due to security issues or am I being too paranoid?

A little insight on this issue would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Raziq Shaikh

Hello Raziq Shaikh.

Welcome to Expat.com!

I hope you will soon be informed about safety in New Zealand.

Aurélie

Thanks for the warm welcome Aurélie. I hope the same as well.

Hi Raziq!

It's funny that you asked about the discrimination as I just wrote a post about this today. :)

I've been living in Auckland for the last four years, so I can only really speak for the city. Crime here is pretty low as far as large cities go. Having to common sense to stay out of the shady streets at late hours of night go a long ways.

Violence has a way of being found anywhere you go, I've found that New Zealand has been fantastic in this regard though. The worst crime's I've specifically been part of has been the repeated egging of my car that was parked on the street of a main road.

The great thing about Auckland is that has a really multicultural population. You may run into some racial discrimination it should be quite manageable.

Feel free to flick me an e-mail if you have any other questions.

Hi Raziq
First of all congrats for deciding to study in nz.....well coming straight to your question, NZ is one of the nicest place to be. I am an Indian born Kiwi having migrated here over 10 years back and am a citizen now. I have found out people here to be very friendly and caring as compared to other countries people might be watching on TV about...
Also its common sense on how to stay safe in any country you may be in...e.g try and avoid going to dodgy places at nights etc...

So do look forward to coming over here with a positive mind and stay in the company of good people...

All the best
Amit

Amit summed it up quite nicely, it's all about common sense. In terms of the crime rate, it is actually quite low but has increased over time. There's crime everywhere but in New Zealand it seems bigger than it really is as NZ has such a small population.
Race related crime does happen but not on a large scale and Indians aren't really the target, mostly towards the Chinese and other Asian nationalities.
You'll really enjoy studyin in NZ and you should put your worries behind you and jump in with full force and enjoy yourself!!

I am considering a move to New Zealand, and was also a little concerned about discrimination problems.  I am an American and am of hispanic decent.  Both could be issues in some parts of the world.  Would either of these things cause a problem for me?

Palmtree- I think you will be fine.

If humans are there, it will never be perfect-- but NZ is very safe!  Relax and enjoy and still use common sense as you would anywhere.

palmtree22 wrote:

I am considering a move to New Zealand, and was also a little concerned about discrimination problems.  I am an American and am of hispanic decent.  Both could be issues in some parts of the world.  Would either of these things cause a problem for me?

I wouldn't worry about it. I am white I get discriminated against in Korea! Being an American with Hispanic roots would probably put you in a rather popular position I would think. Relax!