Formalities to bring your pet in Puerto Rico

Hi all,

What are the formalities and paperwork required to bring your pet in Puerto Rico?

How long do formalities & paperwork usually take in Puerto Rico?

What are the relevant authorities to contact?

Which vaccines are compulsory? Do your pets have to go in quarantine at their arrival in Puerto Rico?

Which advice would you give to the ones who would like to move with a dog, a cat or any other pet?

Thanks in advance for participating :)

I was wondering the same thing and found this on www.topuertorico.org
My Fiance, myself and our 4 year old Papillon are planning on moving within the year.Further info is appreciated!

Traveling with Pets
Before taking a flight with your animal, have your veterinarian examine your pet to ensure that it is healthy enough to make the trip. Airlines and State health officials generally require health certificates for all animals transported by air. You will be required to: 1) Outfit your pet with a sturdy collar and two identification tags. The tags should have both your permanent address and telephone number and an address and telephone number where you can be reached while traveling. 2) Rabies quarantine certificate from veterinary doctor stating that pet has had a rabies shot. For more information contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture Puerto Rico office, Veterinary Division at (787) 766-6050.

We brought a cockatiel to PR from the states. Blood tests and a general health certificate were required. The tests cost around $300. It's not as involved with dogs and cats. Shots need to be up to date and a general health certicate are needed. The best thing to do is contact the USDA in Puerto Rico. They are the ones who can give you the proper information for bringing any pet in. I was a bit upset at the process though. We went through the expense of getting all the proper tests done and nobody even checked our papers when we arrived. Any health certificate has to be done within 30 days of your trip to PR.

Hi all,

Thanks for helping ;)

Armand

Once you get to PR, how difficult is it to find a place to rent if you own dogs. We noticed many of the rental are Condos and we know many of them have pet restrictions here in the states. We currently have 3 dogs (10 lbs, 30lbs and 60 lbs).

It can be very difficult to find an apartment to rent in a condominium building that allows dogs. I had this same problem and ended up having to leave my dog at my in-laws' house in the east of PR while I rented an apartment in the SJ metro area. A realtor told me that no one follows the no dogs allowed rule in condos but with three dogs that would be nigh impossible. Not to mention I'm sure you'd prefer to be on solid footing with your lease obligations so you can live in peace. (Not to mention condos have very little green common-area space where your dogs can do their business).

I'd suggest trying to rent an apartment that is part of a larger house or just rent a house if you can afford it. Landlords of apartments that are not in condo buildings are much more flexible with pets. Most of the condo associations ban dogs in their bylaws (or ban new owners and renters from bringing in dogs while older pets are grandfathered-in).

If you are planning on living in Condado or Isla Verde, houses are very expensive to rent. If you look outside these areas, you can find affordable ones that should allow pets. It will require a lot of inquiry calls. Good luck.

Try to rent a house with a patio...Guyanabo  is a big area with a wide range of housing.

Is it the same for cats? It can be easier to rent in the States with a cat, but not four.
Sasha Cady