Public transportation in Auckland

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Auckland  ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed?
What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Auckland ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Public transport here is expensive and awful and the buses come every half-hour to an hour according to schedules, but are usually half an hour late. And also finish really early. I live in Auckland inner city so that I don't have to deal with the buses anymore lol

Wellington and Christchurch actually have much better public transport - Auckland's is known for being terrible

They're definitely very safe though

Thanks for your contribution kittykat83!;)

Harmonie.

I don't think that the transportation system is that bad.  I've only been in Auckland a month and as long as I plan, everything works out fine.  Be aware that most buses head towards the city center so, if you are looking to get out to the suburbs, your options are more limited. 

There are no transfers so you will pay each time you get on the bus.  This can get expensive if you need to catch a couple buses to your destination.  I'm a student so I get a 40% discount- so great for me. 

I mostly use the buses but there are also trains and ferries available.  Check out http://www.maxx.co.nz/home.aspx for more details.

The northern suburbs (North Shore) are apparently fine, and if you're on the B-Line buses (once every 15 mins). If you're anywhere else (i.e. down south or out west), it's terrible - I've lived here for 4 years and I ended up just giving up on public transport and moving to the city. During the Rugby World Cup the public transport system epicly broke down and there was quite a bit of international coverage about it, so they are trying to improve things.

When I lived in Onehunga, the trains only come once an hour as per schedule, but often the train would get cancelled and you'd have to wait an hour for the next one. One day the second train got cancelled - two hours at a train station.... Don't move to Onehunga unless you've got a car lol

Like kitty say: public transport are to be ashamed in Auckland.
Best option: live in the city. Everything (and most of jobs) are walking distance.
Second option: buy a car. You can buy a car for 1,000. Just save some money and make sure you stay away from the city as the parking can cost you up to 14nzd a day.

Public transportation in New Zealand is save, but unreliable, expensive and you will spend hours to move from point A to B... If you REALLY need to catch a bus, buy yourself a gameboy or fill your mp3 with good musics!

This is really disheartening.  I am meant to be going to Auckland.  I do not have a car.  I will be living on North Shore... Devonport.  Anyone experienced living and getting to work here?