Healthcare in Grenada

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Grenada ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Grenada?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

My point of view comes from being a visitor to the island since 2008. We live in a fairly quiet village where a few people still fish for a living. Most of the people we know rarely go to the doctor and often practice DIY dentistry. True!

The public system seems to work well, but you have to be a citizen/resident. Most Grenadians that I know go to a walk-in clinic where it is first come, first served. Were we are in Woburn, there is a doctor there once a week. As far as I can tell, these visits are free. There are always clinics within walking distance, or the main hospital is in St. Georges. We've never used the public system, so I'm sorry that I can't give you a better idea. I have also found it very hard to get specific information about the health system myself. My best contact so far has been a pharmacist.

I read that only 9% of Grenadians have private health care. It's just too expensive for them unless it is offered through employment.

I have decided, for the time, to spend the required time in Canada in order to keep my really good provincial plan. So I'm about 6 months here and 6 there. However, I have type 1 diabetes and am using an insulin pump. I really like my pump and all my costs are covered while I remain in Ontario. If it wasn't for this, I would be there full time.

I can recommend a very good doctor if you wish to see someone privately. Dr. Kecia Lowe is located in Woburn and you can check out her office at bsli.org. She actually came and saw me at my house when I need to see someone in an emergency.

You'll find that Grenada is a little behind the times as far as treatment/technology goes. Until recently, one had to go off-island to get dialysis. And they don't know anything about insulin pumps! However, after saying that, I do believe that if you are in general good health that you could rely on the public system. Some say that prescription drugs are cheaper there, as long as it's a common one.

There is also much to be said about the warmth, sunshine and friendly people. Very good for your health!