Minimum cash needed for 6 months

G'day all

I know the cost of living is never a fixed amount as there are so many variables to consider, so I thought a better way to ask would be this.

What is the minimum amount of cash/money in the bank people would recommend is needed for a married couple to live comfortably for at least 6 months whilst organising jobs, rental accommodation, car/s etc.
Given that no particular area is in mind to settle down in, that would depend on job availability.

All advice gratefully accepted.

Have a good one

Shaun

Based on an average rent of £500/month (ranging from £300-700) £2500 + average council tax/month of £120 (£100-£200) + deosit = £3720. Then you have to take into account bills, gas and electric in the summer £40/month (£80 in winter) + phone, say two mobiles on ay and go £40/month + transport, two monthly bus passes @ £35 each (so £70/month) = £150 x 6 months = £900 + rent etc. = £4620 + £200/month groceries = £5820. That's my best guess unless someone can point out some flaws or bills missed? Seems about right to me.

By the way. I lived in Brisbane. Loved it. It's a much better city than Glasgow in many ways. Get used to the rain and cold....

Alex, thanks for the info. Let me understand this the way you meant it though. You're saying that for 6 months for a couple to live and cover basic expenses it would cost an "average" of  £5820??

If that is the case then I can understand better now why the average yearly wage is under £30000.

Thanks again Have a good one

Shaun

mid_alex wrote:

Based on an average rent of £500/month (ranging from £300-700) £2500 + average council tax/month of £120 (£100-£200) + deosit = £3720. Then you have to take into account bills, gas and electric in the summer £40/month (£80 in winter) + phone, say two mobiles on ay and go £40/month + transport, two monthly bus passes @ £35 each (so £70/month) = £150 x 6 months = £900 + rent etc. = £4620 + £200/month groceries = £5820. That's my best guess unless someone can point out some flaws or bills missed? Seems about right to me.

By the way. I lived in Brisbane. Loved it. It's a much better city than Glasgow in many ways. Get used to the rain and cold....

I did my maths based on a pretty bare bones lifestyle. I didn't include any money for a social life or personal shopping.

With that said, here are the minimum wages in the UK just now:
•£6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
•£4.98 - the 18-20 rate
•£3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
•£2.60 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

So again an over 21 working full time (30-35 hours here) makes £5107.20 before tax and national insurance deductions in a 6 month period.

Keep in mind moving over here the exchange rate as well. £5820 is $9232 AUD and what I've included here is the MINIMUM amount needed to survive. It's also no including money for a hotel or backpackers for the first few weeks while you find a flat.
Cheers,
Alex

That's great info Alex, thanks!

Have a good one

Shaun

mid_alex wrote:

I did my maths based on a pretty bare bones lifestyle. I didn't include any money for a social life or personal shopping.

With that said, here are the minimum wages in the UK just now:
•£6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
•£4.98 - the 18-20 rate
•£3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
•£2.60 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

So again an over 21 working full time (30-35 hours here) makes £5107.20 before tax and national insurance deductions in a 6 month period.

Keep in mind moving over here the exchange rate as well. £5820 is $9232 AUD and what I've included here is the MINIMUM amount needed to survive. It's also no including money for a hotel or backpackers for the first few weeks while you find a flat.
Cheers,
Alex