Getting married in Syria

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Syria or who are about to get married in Syria to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Syria? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Syria)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

The formalities to get married in Syria.. Let's see. In my case I gave my passport, my id card and my birth certificate to a lawyer (the same my husband did since he doesn't have Syrian papers).My husband also needed a paper that he is not married already. The lawyer translated them in Arabic and legalized them. Next... I don't know. It took us a month to receive the agreement. We needed to go take some blood tests than we went to the judge, he asked us if we do, we said we do...and we received the marriage certificate. It is full of stamps, that's for sure.
It was easier and cheaper in this way. I heard it could take up to 3 months to actually go to judge...I am not sure why.
There is also the religious ceremony... you go to a Imam, he reads something for you from the Quran (this is in the case the man is Muslim) and you receive a marriage paper. Is recognized only in Islamic countries but most of the couples do this first and then they go to judge.

Thanks for your contribution Youssef!;)

Harmonie.

I got married religiously (Islamically) before getting married in the court system. The process is similar to what Umm Youssef say above, though my circumstances (I was caught working illegally in Syria) made the process a lot longer.

We had to go to several offices around town to get lots of signatures (and give lots of bribes to speed up things) to say that it was OK for my husband to marry me. We had to provide proof that we had not been married before (which doesn't really exist in the US, I found), we took a blood test, presented the religious documentation, etc. I didn't have to appear before a judge because the religious ceremony was performed first.

Then we took the papers, after the month passed and it was approved, to the immigration office to obtain residency for me. It was a rather expensive and tedious process (especially since there's no concept of doing things promptly, especially at the immigration office).