What is your idea of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

Definitly a diffrent view from what the MSM is promoting...

We lived and worked in Dhahran for 6 years from 1979 where we had many friends from the Aramco Compound and have made some great contacts with them. Some of the best people we know today.

I almost forgot, a western co-worker when he was in a car accident, he was 100% to blame because the police said, and I quote "  If you were not in our country, this accident would not have happened "  That person lost his job because of it.  If you are a non-Saudi, especially a non-saudi non muslim, if you see an accident, do not stop at all, phone one of your arabic friends to call the police but dont stop because suspicion becomes high.  It is sad I know, but its the truth

Life at Saudi Aramco - 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwd8esu- … ture=share

Stimstar37 wrote:

I almost forgot, a western co-worker when he was in a car accident, he was 100% to blame because the police said, and I quote "  If you were not in our country, this accident would not have happened "  That person lost his job because of it.  If you are a non-Saudi, especially a non-saudi non muslim, if you see an accident, do not stop at all, phone one of your arabic friends to call the police but dont stop because suspicion becomes high.  It is sad I know, but its the truth

This is also true in witnessing a cardio-pulmonary arrest( to a Saudi National)...eventhough you're a certified medical practitioner you don't just go ahead and help the witnessed victim/patient but caution and extra care must be considered because you might be blamed for the incident instead of the authority being thankful of your help and assistance.

I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All,

Firstly, Salman - thanks for starting this thread, it's made a great read!

Time to stick my head above the parapet and ask my question(s) - you've probably heard them all before, in fact, you probably know the questions I haven't even thought of yet...

My situation is that I'm discussing a job in Riyadh at the moment which would involve me working in one of the government ministries.  My wife will be staying in the UK as our children are settled in school here but the money's good enough for her to give up work and for us to have a little more income than we bring in at the moment.  The company will provide accommodation and a car and a number of flights back to the UK per year.  And yes, I know it's a good deal...

I've not worked in the Middle East before but spent 18 months studying Arabic about 20 years ago, so I think I have a reasonable understanding of the people & culture. 

My questions are (in no particular order):
Where do the majority of western expats live - in a compound or out and about?  I'd like to live out but not at the expense of having no social life.

What are communications like - mobile phone costs, broadband speeds (I'm used to about 7 Mb connection speeds), any issues with software like Skype/video calling or iPhone Facetime?

I've been told that from a business point of view, I only need English as a language - what about from a 'surviving outside of work' point of view?

Do Saudis and expats mix socially?

Can you get the BBC satellite channels (BBC World?)?

What's the security situation like for westerners? I've travelled quite a bit and like to think that I am aware of my environment but I don't want to get into anything awkward through my own ignorance - on another thread there was a comment to the effect of 'you don't want to go to ABC if you don't speak arabic' - why not? Because I need it to get by, or because I'm likely to get beaten up (or worse)?

Sorry if that last question seemed a bit paranoid but I would hate to give up a good job here to discover that I've moved into a nightmare or miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime because I was unsure.  I would actually relish the chance to come out and work in the KSA (and not just because of the money).  All I've got to do now is get offered the job! :)

Saudi to me ??? I have worked in the middle east for 6 years now but only 1 year in saudi.To me i am here for the money only i can see no other reason to be here, i respect the people here and i obey there laws as i have to. I do not push or demand to be served first in markets i am happy to stand back and watch people ignore the people that have stood in line waiting. i enjoy being ran off the road by local drivers or having my car blocked in parks by somebody that choices to park behind me so they do not have to walk as far . i wear the expected amount of clothes so as to not offend the locals, i keep my tattoos covered , i do not stare at people i keep to myself , but every 8 weeks i get to go home to australia where i am the local :)and can do what ever i like and say what ever i like to who ever i like or disslike

thanks salman...great question and insight for many. I guess an open mind is needed in any country. mixing with different nations each with their customs can be exciting. and the ladies...hmmm...the ladies. life is so tough being emmm good looking, so much headache. thank God im not a woman red head or single or shopping. anyways very interesting points. but i would imagine that the "hitting" on the ladies would not be as rude as other countries. among my saudi friends they seem so respectable and do not talk about women as "objects" mostly they joke about how they have to take their families for shopping. they have to drive them around, mascara jokes etc.
i dunno but i find more cleaner jokes here and more respect to women as a whole.
its nice to see so many positive attitudes. but the best i love is that they have among the lowest crime stats in the world.

Thanks for the responses!  Johnfog, I understand where you're coming from :)

ummmmm Jeddah !! I love Jeddah!!
I have lived in London UK, Hong Kong, Toronto Canada, and I hope soon I'll leave to the US. However no matter where I go where I live I always spiritually  miss Jeddah. I enjoy seeing international people here,and I really want to have some international friends here in jeddah (Saudi Arabia) !!

short fat bloke- saudi is what you make it . everybody knows it is not a holiday camp here internet is slow but skype works and there is a reasonable TV coverage. phone network is good i have had no issues with it, but then again i mainly use skype. I live remote so have no idea what it is like in the cities and am not that keen to find out. most people that you will deal with speak very good english but none speak australian . if you are looking for a social life then a compound is the go , out in public it is hard to meet people. as i said this place is what it is and nobody will every change that. just smile and check the bank account.

I don't think theres any right answers to these questions. We all have different expectations and experiences.  I'll be honest, I'm a bit fearful of Saudi Arabia.  Between the terrorist, public beheadings, kidnappings, and women being treated like second class citizens; it's alot to take in.  I've never been to Saudi,am considering a job over there but these are things that worry me.  Thanks to sites like this and people sharing their experiences it does give me another glimpse of Saudi and bring me some comfort.

Aslmwwb/hi/hello/bonjour/niha/etc

Brothers and sisters of the kingdom, Please bare with my limited knowledge of your land :-)

To start of answering the question, we were taught that Saudi Arabia is the holy land, particularly relating to Makkah and Madinah. Therefore my initial understanding was that of a very pious, religious and conservative country, only to recently realise that life goes on there quite normal as in other countries. I had the mental pictures of full islamic attire worn by all citizens (niqaab for women and dishdash and full beards for men), which is not necessarily the case. These were more stereotypical pictures painted in our minds by the bits and pieces of information we grasp from people who have visited the place...and back in the day, there was no Google,facebook, GEarth, email, etc. So the little information you got, you do good with. These days videos and all sorts of material floating on the internet added much more perspective to the lifestyle there. (One of the funniest ones being Saudi's driving Audi's, if anyone saw that vuclip :-D)
Alhamdulillah, information is much more readily available now. And never did i ever imagine speaking with Arabians in English!But here we are..(Thumbs up guys)

i was keen on working in KSA, but so many questions need answers which i could not get...the food, lingo, culture, dress code. And a further brushoff was my extremely limited arabic vocab ;-)

Anyway, i hope this site can assist one and all.

Does anyone know of any South Africans who live in KSA?

Hi
I'm intreasted working in Riyadh. I have applied a few agency's here in America. Which is the best agency to work with?

HSBC Bank " Expat report" fefined Saudi Arabia as having the most unfriendly enviroment for expats

beside other problems that expats have here, it is best place to live with respect and peace, u can go anywhere with ur family at anytime, no fear of theives or anything, Strict law rules make this place best for living

Cowgirl wrote:

Hi
I'm intreasted working in Riyadh. I have applied a few agency's here in America. Which is the best agency to work with?

Do you mean advertising agencies or what? :)

Alliecat wrote:

People seem shocked that I haven't suffered 'culture shock.'  Maybe it's because I'd been off-handedly gathering info on life in the Middle East for several years (I'm very interested in traveling, geography and the world at large ;) )

Also, I think if you are coming here single, as I have--knowing nobody and having no connections--you have to be capable of amusing yourself.  If you're the type who needs constant activities and outside stimulation, you'll end up being a mall rat, buying things you don't need just to have something to do(but maybe this only applies to women?).

Ummm.. what was the question again?  :lol:

I haven't suffered ' culture shock' either, I have embraced the culture. I am only here for a year and I want to enjoy every single day. I am surprised people keep moaning,it's an experience and much better than I expected.

Cowgirl wrote:

Hi

ICEAT

Hello. I've been presented with a potential opportunity to work in a hospital in riyadh for a 1-2 year contract. I want to make an informed decision when choosing whether or not to accept the position. One question I do have after reading this blog is about the compounds. My contact person said that I would be living on the hospital compound. Is this good or bad? I do actually have a pet that i would have liked to bring along with me, but he said I would be unable to live on the hospital compound with a pet and would have to find my own housing. Do are your recommendations on this situation.

Next question...I will be coming here as a single woman in my late 20's. I have a love for adventure and experiencing new things so it makes me think this could be a great experience for me. I have read up on life in KSA and there were a few things that I was confused about. One of the sites i read that photography is not permitted. While in the states, I do a lot of photography and was worried that i would not be able to capture my experience on film. Another thing that was mentioned was traveling outside of riyadh can be difficult. Do you have to acquire a travel permit? 

I was just presented with this idea last week so my wheels are kind of spinning...any help, information, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

one more quick question...what is life like on a compound? Are men and women able to interact with each other? Am i able to wear a bikini or bathing suit at the pool? Can you have guests who are visiting from the US stay with you?

my friend i would pity on the new expats to this country if they are coming for work here.. i have been living here for my all life.. my brought up was here..i just went for my higher studies to my city... much of the racism will be faced here.. and in Quran its strictly prohibited to keep discrimination.. but its the dilemma of this place that we have to live with it.. and im cool with it cos i have adjusted in this place for years... so all u need is to just adjust here..
n ur helpless welll
no hard feelings im cool with this country

lhummel13 wrote:

one more quick question...what is life like on a compound? Are men and women able to interact with each other? Am i able to wear a bikini or bathing suit at the pool? Can you have guests who are visiting from the US stay with you?

Hey, men and women interact with one another, mainly at the workplace. Going on dates here isn't allowed. Mixed Parties are low-key. depending on the compound u r living in, I think most compounds do not allow bikinis. unless the swimming pool is seperated for men and women. The regulations for women here are to dress modestly. mostly women wear a black covering over their cloths called an abaya. violations of the dress code maybe considered and insult to saudi traditions. guests that are allowed to visit are: parents, husband, brothers (depending on ur contract).

lhummel13 wrote:

Hello. I've been presented with a potential opportunity to work in a hospital in riyadh for a 1-2 year contract. I want to make an informed decision when choosing whether or not to accept the position. One question I do have after reading this blog is about the compounds. My contact person said that I would be living on the hospital compound. Is this good or bad? I do actually have a pet that i would have liked to bring along with me, but he said I would be unable to live on the hospital compound with a pet and would have to find my own housing. Do are your recommendations on this situation.

Next question...I will be coming here as a single woman in my late 20's. I have a love for adventure and experiencing new things so it makes me think this could be a great experience for me. I have read up on life in KSA and there were a few things that I was confused about. One of the sites i read that photography is not permitted. While in the states, I do a lot of photography and was worried that i would not be able to capture my experience on film. Another thing that was mentioned was traveling outside of riyadh can be difficult. Do you have to acquire a travel permit? 

I was just presented with this idea last week so my wheels are kind of spinning...any help, information, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Depends which hospital you work: in the hospital I work, it is allowed as long as some regualtions are followed. I strongly recommend living on a compound. In my hospital, inside the compound everything is in english, outside u need to know some arabic. If you have a thirst for adventure, I strongly recommend trying out Saudi. But be warned u need an open mid, lol. Photography of people maybe considered offensive to some saudi's. but u r free to take pics of the landscape, friends and tours. I advise u to bring ur camera. travelling outside of riyadh is easy. traqvelling outside the country is easy too. if u have any confusions about the customs or traditions here u can send me a msg anytime and i will be glad to help

Adnin wrote:

my friend i would pity on the new expats to this country if they are coming for work here.. i have been living here for my all life.. my brought up was here..i just went for my higher studies to my city... much of the racism will be faced here.. and in Quran its strictly prohibited to keep discrimination.. but its the dilemma of this place that we have to live with it.. and im cool with it cos i have adjusted in this place for years... so all u need is to just adjust here..
n ur helpless welll

There are many levels of discrimination here. Even among Saudis.

Don't take it personal.

Hey...I am South African...as you know we have been through apartheid and racism is personal to me and any South African who fought for freedom. I think Adnin is just expressing his dismay at racism in a country that speaks about equality among men and women/ but many do not practice it. the country itself and many of the ppl are good. but some traditions are not  part of the religion.

I got a new electric guitar.  Where the cheese?

Alliecat wrote:

People seem shocked that I haven't suffered 'culture shock.'  Maybe it's because I'd been off-handedly gathering info on life in the Middle East for several years (I'm very interested in traveling, geography and the world at large ;) )

Also, I think if you are coming here single, as I have--knowing nobody and having no connections--you have to be capable of amusing yourself.  If you're the type who needs constant activities and outside stimulation, you'll end up being a mall rat, buying things you don't need just to have something to do(but maybe this only applies to women?).

Ummm.. what was the question again?  :lol:

Hi guys,

I am not happy here. There is no such entertainment particularly in Riyadh. I dont know abt other cities and such peoples here are worst than I thought, stealing things from others, even in public and we cant ask them bcos we are expats and they are saudis. I lost my mobile and money to those snatchers. I complaint to the police and they are saying kalli yaashiq, haadha nafar miskin.. ro ro.... is it justice? .... I feel bad to stay here. :(

Before reading this forum and others, I, like someone mentioned above, imagined the Kingdom to be full of bearded thobe wearing religious men with their women all in black (not just abaayas) burkas and niqaabs (veil). I expect them to have lectures on the streets where people all join and learn together. Its a land full of scholars so I expect an army of religious police fighting the oppressors...

sad its not the case with the religious police actually performing a useful service such as upholding religious moral values and preserving the safety and property of their guests.

NurulHaq, that's so unIslamic! like who cares if the person is miskeen? ask me for charity but don't dip into my pocket when my back is turned... that's the kinda rubbish that would get me into a fight... what happens if you go to the Saudi and get your property back by force?

would they arrest you for getting back what is yours? why?

:)

Street crimes are everywhere in the world. One extremely odd thing here is the cops supporting the bad-doer instead of you.

Funny Example, noorulhuq;s posted reminded me of.

Say some local is tossing stones at your car. Try to file compaint with police and get the following replies.

If he's a kid, "He's is a Tifal (kid), what can we do?"
If a young man, "He's is a Shabab (youngster), what can we do?"
If an old man, "He's is a Sheia (old chap), what can we do?"

.......No comments

TheLegendLeads wrote:

well, find the parents and beat them up! or chuck stones on their car! DUH!:rolleyes:

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Throw stones bk at him! then say 'anaa shabaab aythun!' (I'm a youth too):P

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Just drive away. I don't abuse the elderly no matter what they do. :|

Btwn-Fear-N-Hope wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

well, find the parents and beat them up! or chuck stones on their car! DUH!:rolleyes:

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Throw stones bk at him! then say 'anaa shabaab aythun!' (I'm a youth too):P

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Just drive away. I don't abuse the elderly no matter what they do. :|

I wished things would work that way !!

i Like saudi arabia because noone hates that you are  covered
noone  rail against you while you are muslim

I can live here better than in europe
but i misse the forest and the greenplaces
and the animal of the small village i lived
i misse the taste of an fresch europeen apple
and the clear fresch water of the  rivulet and the taste of the water (spring) ...

but i dont like it to see people who becomes without any difficulty
a visa and they are no muslims
there are a lot of muslims they want to work in saudia and they have no chance ... WHY
I see uncovered women in the center of riadh :-(
i'm deeply disappointed

I want that my husband come to saudi arabia too
but i have a student visa .. Why the saudi coverment gives visa for female students whithout a visa for the husbad

the university will give me a room inside but whe i'm pregnant i have to leave ... what is that for a confusion ??????????

Hi - I had a question about a company called Education Experts.  I have a job offer from them, but I'm a bit confused on one point.  I understand that their English instructors enter KSA on a 90 day Business Visit visa.  I've also 'read ' in the various forums, that many of them 'pull a runner,' and leave, because they don't like the company.  So do they need an exit visa to leave the country like that?  Do you know if any have been stopped at the airport?  I don't want to go there, find out I don't like it, and then not be able to leave.  Any opinions on that?

starofthesea wrote:

Hi - I had a question about a company called Education Experts.  I have a job offer from them, but I'm a bit confused on one point.  I understand that their English instructors enter KSA on a 90 day Business Visit visa.  I've also 'read ' in the various forums, that many of them 'pull a runner,' and leave, because they don't like the company.  So do they need an exit visa to leave the country like that?  Do you know if any have been stopped at the airport?  I don't want to go there, find out I don't like it, and then not be able to leave.  Any opinions on that?

Please don't post the same question on multiple threads.  I answered this for you--on one of your other threads :)

The moment i arrived in Jeddah a week ago it was culture shock me i feel totally different sign boards were in Arabic, every street start with king name, more over in a week i learn about Saudi Arabia for single man it is work and home nothing else. Less social life then Scotland. Plus if you order a food Arabic people does not understand Scottish accent they hang up a phone, secondly Saudi arabia has no underground train station or double decker buses if some body does not know driving means he is in big time trouble, weather is to warm then Scotland the main thing i have a better job with good money. I don't care about what is life like there seems peaceful and tension free less number of variables in life, Pretty good i can adjust myself.

wow loved this thread  the strange thing is we humans are contradicted creatures totally we desire the non reachable once its there the less value it is  i say that  because i envy most expats to my country they at least got the chance  to be exposed to a different way of living with all its pros and cons especially those wonderful expats that  took a great deal to over come the cultural shock and enjoy it  being here in this astonishing blog gave me another view of  my own land  although i acknowledge we saudis are a bit  closed within our societies which is sadly to  me  this closure  spread reaching even the laws  or the  general environment making it difficult for expats especially the non english speakers . :)

musicman wrote:

Check this one out too. Makes one speechless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

Interesting video...

I now start to think that title of the video well suits the video!...

Sign of the ignorance...

-Wanna guess - An animal... (Talkin about a mosque) What can one say?...

Saudi Guy wrote:
Adnin wrote:

n ur helpless welll

There are many levels of discrimination here. Even among Saudis.

Don't take it personal.

For example?