Getting married in Sweden

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Sweden or who are about to get married in Sweden to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Sweden? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Sweden)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

When my Swedish husband and I decided to get married I had to get some paperwork from New York to prove that it is legal for me to marry (That I am single etc) and since it was in a foreign country it also required obtaining an apostille. With the proper documentation from New York the process in Sweden was rather quick. I arrived in Sweden 3 weeks before our date and the paperwork cleared in two weeks. They said it could take up to six though, so be careful- we were lucky. It was much easier to marry in Sweden first and then get "remarried" in New York, rather than the other way around (especially helped later on since I was moving to Sweden - being married here first made that procedure very quick and painless) Good luck!

Hi Megalagom!

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Armand

Hi

I would like to know if this is true i have heard that arranged marriage is forbidden in sweden by law is this true ?

Best Regards
Walid