Civil marriage in mauritius

hello,

jus want to find out if anyone from another country has married a mauritian citizen, how did u go about doing the civil marriage what were the procedures and how long did it take?

thank you in advance

Hey ya! I am in the process of doing just that mmyself. The information I found is that:

it takes 10 days for a booking procedure.
You might need to allow more time than that for collecting documents you need to provide such as:
medical certificate
Certificate from your country that you are no criminal (I am from New Zealand and it takes two weeks to get something like this issued).
Certificate from your country again to show that you have enough money to support yourself or are employeed.

I have been trying to call this number I have been given 201 1207 to find out more about this last certificate I mentioned and to ask where i can get medical certificate from. I've been trying for the whole day - no luck. SO if anyone here knows anything more about this please let us know :)

helo Joburg-gal!

My wife awso south african, from pretoria.
We had our religious marriage in pretoria and then came down to do the civil marriage in Mauritius.

As Maja is saying, you will need to provide a morality certificate issued from your local police station.
The Lists of Documents she had to submit that took atleast a month to get from S.Africa are;
1. Medical Report.
2.Birth Certificate. kindly note that the birth certicate bearing only your name is not accepted here. My wife had to issue a new one where it was mentioned the names of the mother and father.
3. Police Station Clearance Certificate.
All the above documents must have the seal of Apostille ( Hague convention if im not mistaken)

Once you are in Mauritius you n your husband only needs to go to an Attorney at Law and to make a solemn affirmation in the supreme court stating that he will be responsible to look after u, financially as well after the marriage.

Therefore u wont require to provide any proof that u have the means to stay here.

Another important thing i learnt is that when u land, just say u are on holidays, else they will give u a visa, that cannot be extended. Just incase you have any unexpected delays processing ur docs here, so u dnt havta leave the country! :P

The Civil marriage itself wnt take long, only a week after u do the formalities, as they need to publish in all the civil offices about ur civil marriage, for no objection.

Well i really hope i have been able to help you and Maja, so that u dnt go through those hectic moments i had to go through!

Oh Btw! Congratulations to Both of U ;)
and Welcome to Mauritius!

Yusuf

Hey thank you for all this info. I have some few additional questions for the sake of clarification: you say your wife got a medical certificate from her country? I don't think I will have the chance to go back to New Zealand to do a medical certificate tehre...do you know if you can test yourself here?

And a question that was not there before: does Mauritius allow for two partners to keep each of their last names?

THanks in advance!
Maja

Make sure all of your documents are apostilled!

Helo Maja!

Well I believe if u have a test carried out in Mauritius n get it certified it shoudnt b a problem.
Try getting a confirmation from the civil status office.

Lol! The name thing is another story! Once u get married u will only b issued a marriage certificate.
U will b using ur current name everywhere, (bank, etc..)
U won't get ur mauritian passport/ I.d and other docs until 4 years I believe, that's wot they told us!
They will call u after 4 years to c if u still living together n answer sme questions. Only then they issue u a passport n I.d.

We still waiting to b called! Lol!:P

But as far as I knw to answer ur question u are allowed to retain ur name n add ur husbands name!

Have a wonderful Weekend!
If I may b of anymore assistance! :)

Yusuf

It seems to me that they make it a lot easier for tourists to marry in Mauritius?
I am British and my hubby is Mauritian and we married in the UK.
Looking at the procedures for marriage in Mauritius I am glad we didn't even contemplate getting married in Mauritius......too much red tape! :rolleyes:

Been told to apply for residency by immigration here as we spend so much time here now and my husband is Mauritian.
Phoned the office here today and they say besides the other certificates, ie marriage, they need a Certificate of Morality from the UK.
Does anyone know if this is the same as the British CRB check that the police do when you apply for certain jobs in the UK?
Also do you mean all my documents have to be apostilled and what does that mean exactly?
Thanks!

daisymay2 I believe it's the same. They want a document issued from the police offices stating there are no criminal charges against you. The Mauritian government then checks out with Interpol if  that indeed you're not a criminal.

Sleeping Cookie wrote:

daisymay2 I believe it's the same. They want a document issued from the police offices stating there are no criminal charges against you. The Mauritian government then checks out with Interpol if  that indeed you're not a criminal.

Thanks for that.
We collected the forms yesterday in Port Louis and they told us yes its a CRB check which I need to get from the UK.
Now the fun begins! ;)

Daisymay2

You need to contact the CRB because I am sure that as an individual you can not apply for a CRB check. Employers ask the CRB to carry out the check if the job involves working with children or vulnerable adults.

Really? I had several over the years as I worked in healthcare but recently quit work so as to spend most of my time in Mauritius.
Thats a problem then!

CRB tell me its just a local police check.....and gave me the telephone number for my local police and they gave me the form to download. High Commission in London don't seem to know what a morality certificate is; they interpret it as a CRB check. They told me to email Mauritius...........!!!!!!! (So I have)
But they don't know the email address!
Also told that just birth certificate and marriage certificate need apostilling by the FCO in the UK.
Confusing.

Hi Daisymay2

Go onto the FCO website - www.fco.gov.uk and type legalisation office into the search engine on the page. Your birth and marriage certificates have to be apostilled in the country they were issued.
Hope this is of some help.

:/

Kirinyaga wrote:

Hi Daisymay2

Go onto the FCO website - www.fco.gov.uk and type legalisation office into the search engine on the page. Your birth and marriage certificates have to be apostilled in the country they were issued.
Hope this is of some help.

Yes thanks I did this yesterday and understand that. I also spoke to the FCO by phone.
Its the morality certificate thats causing the confusion!

Hi Daisymay,

When I applied for mine just over a year ago I got the criminal records check (morality certificate) from a site www.disclosurescotland.co.uk it is also known as a Disclosure Certificate. We used to use them where I worked and don't worry, they do not only do scottish ones despite the name.  I was in England.  I'm pretty sure I got the basic one as I don't think an individual could get the enhanced one.  It was fine for my application.  The apostiles stamps on birth (must be a full birth certificate) and marriage certificate were easy to get, I went to Peterborough early one morning and was done within an hour.

Good luck,
Angela

Thankyou very much for that info Angela. As expected I received no reply from the Mauritian office to my email.
Very helpful indeed! :)
Daisymay :D

Daisymay2

Go onto the Metropolitan Police service website -www.met.police.uk.
I think you'll find the information you are looking for on that site.
Keep us posted with how you get on.

Kirinyaga wrote:

Daisymay2

Go onto the Metropolitan Police service website -www.met.police.uk.
I think you'll find the information you are looking for on that site.
Keep us posted with how you get on.

Thanks again! This is the Freedom of Information Request form?
We spoke to someone from here and they directed us to my local police force who advised us to download a form entitled
"Application for Access to your Personal Data held on Derbyshire Constabulary Police Information Systems".
So that is an option?
I downloaded the form and it looks about right.
Would they accept this?
Thanks again,
Daisymay :)

OK I sent the forms off and see what happens now!:)

Kirinyaga,
Got my apostilled birth and marriage certificates returned to me yesterday! Now just waiting for the police certificate which they did say takes up to 40 days. This looks about right too from what I can see - its the ACPO one which is used in the USA etc.
So all in all I am pleased. Its not so difficult as it first sounds.
Then just have to hand the form, certificates, letter and photos over to the Immigration Office - and wait!
Thanks to all for your help!

And got the Police ACPO certificate today - quick! So all set now.
Thanks again for all the input. :)
Daisymay

daisymay2 wrote:

And got the Police ACPO certificate today - quick! So all set now.
Thanks again for all the input. :)
Daisymay

Daisymay

Excellent news!
:)

Thanks Kirinyaga!
We are getting there!
Will keep you posted :)

daisymay2 wrote:

Thanks Kirinyaga!
We are getting there!
Will keep you posted :)

Hi Daisymay,

I see that this thread has got lots of hits and so a lot of people will be curious to see how long it eventually takes you to get the resident permit.

Kirinyaga - so it has!
Will definitely keep you posted and yes, it will be interesting to see how long - am not holding my breath!

Maja, once you get married i recomend you to go straight to the spouse seccion at the inmigration office and apply for your residence permit. i didn't and then it was a pain to get all the paperwork done again.

Well all signed sealed delivered to Spouse section of Immigration Office in PL - and all in order. I think the main hassle is getting all the paperwork together.
Thanks guys - and a big thankyou to Kirinyaga who's given me so much help!

daisymay2 wrote:

Well all signed sealed delivered to Spouse section of Immigration Office in PL - and all in order. I think the main hassle is getting all the paperwork together.
Thanks guys - and a big thankyou to Kirinyaga who's given me so much help!

Daisymay

I'm really pleased that it's all come together.

Thanks for the comment - it's been a pleasure to help out.

Awww thanks! You really were a great help to me!
It's a minefield out there where no one seems to be able to give definitive answers, but we were spot on and its all come together for me when at the beginning it all looked rather daunting!

Hey guys! Just picked my residence permit and letters up today from PL!
I think from beginning to end it took all of two months, so kudos to the Mauritian Immigration Dept!
Daisymay  :)

I loved my life partner....

hi yusufalis,

i think to do the same with my future marocaine girl whom i intends to marry. that is do the relgious marriage there in morroco and bring her in Mauritius for our civil marriage.
the problem when we land here in Mauritius what to say to the passport immigration plaisance airport. Does she need to travel with a return ticket. does she need to declare how much money she has with her and say where she will stay  becuase she will be travelling as tourist . becuase personally i will take all  responsiblility , how to do this, what to say? please help.