Internet ADSL in POM

Hi I just arrived in POM and I would like to know if someone is actually using ADSL from home for personal use. I found an add for ADSL with Hitron, PNG Tel Telikom and Daltron. Are they any good? I am currently using Digicel 3G mobile internet but speed is a bit too slow and kind of expensive for this speed.

I use datec.net.pg superb speeds, Can video call back to Europe with no problems

Thank you very much for your response. Are you on 512/256 (1.6GB)or 1536/512 (2.5GB) or much farster plan?

i have no idea, will check

Has anyone tried MiFi from Digicell ? Seems to be the cheapest around?

Yes, I have. It's cheap but very slow you cannot do video skype but you can do call only skype. But internet quality is problem. Network is 3G. Even call only skype, voice quality is quite bad.

If you are thinking of buying Digicel Mifi Modem (http://broadband.digicelpng.com/modems.html)you can use your SIM card in your mobile phone. Buy Data Bundle (K20=100MB or K80=500MB)from your mobile phone, transfer your SIM to Mifi Modem. Usually call only skype will use approx 100MB for 10min.

Hi Henrycho

Thanks - I live at the airways and are currently on their system K200/1 Gig. Mifi is much cheaper through Digicell @k2.49/2 gig. I only do skype calls no video - how bad is the voice quality on skype?

Regards
Callie

I am calling to Australia. Receiving is not a problem but speaking (my voice at Australia) is a problem. If I say ABCDEFG, Australia will hear ........A..CD..FG. If you speak slowly and use shorter sentence it is OK. They can understand it.
Digicel is K80=500MB so 2GB=K320. I usually talk on skype every day for 10 min (sometimes more)+whatsapp chat + facebook etc and my 500MB data credit will be used up within 10 days.

Are you calling telstra in Australia? New Digicel plan is k249 for 2 gig on myfi which is the modem with the sim card - don't know what system the use at airways hotel but it is pretty quick at 20t/mb

I think 2GB K249 is postpaid plan not prepaid plan. I was told I need to apply for postpaid plan at the head office (not shop)during the business hours so I have not done it.

That is correct - contract for a year - but i don't want to tie myself up for a year if it is rubish - maybe buy the modem and one gig prepaid to try it or even 500 MB just to try it

It's not a garbage but slow. Mobile youtube is OK. Facebook and other internet sites are slow.

ok they are out of modems - will buy one friday and let you know the comparative speed

Tried Digicel last night at airways with a stick modem -  I am afraid you are right it is much slower than the  hotel system. Could not even get skype to work

Try not to use a modem when it is raining or just after the storm like last night. When it is very clear, I usually get OK internet speed. I have a mifi modem and when it is raining, my modem picks up 2G network, not even 3G.

I use both a dongle and a mifi hotspot on a 4GB postpaid for K449 per month.  Digicel have just released a 3G wireless router (that looks like an ADSL router) - was for sale K199 at the Yachty last Wednesday.

The mifi will be slower than the dongle - haven't checked out the new 3G router yet - but expect it to be comparable to the dongle.

I have no issues with the speed of the Digicel mobile data network - but then again, I have only occasionally used video skype.  Voice skype is perfectly fine.

If you do a lot of calls to Malaysia, NZ, Aussie or the US - a postpaid bundled mobile digicel plan includes those countries in it's bundled minutes :)

(note - am IT Manager, but don't work for Digicel)

:)

Thank you for your informaiton.

Birdie
Where do you live. I live at airways and have tried the Digicell dongle and could get no where on skype

I am not Birdie but I live in Chestfield St (Town). It depends on the weather and time, my voice only skype is quite good but not video skype. I think you should try Digicell dongle when it is clear sky (not raining).

Is my understanding correct ? 3G data speed is around 2-3Mbps therefore is 3G faster than typical ADSL internet in POM (256Kbps - 512Kbps)??

Henryocho - I suppose that is what frustrates me - with bad weather the dongle drops down to 2G

I am on Ogoa Street above Ela Beach, I have just bought the new 3G router from digicel, and it works quite well.  But with the rains on Thursday night - it crawled, but so would the likes of Hitron...

Nothing is perfect though :)

Hey guys.
I am possibly moving to Port Moresby for a couple of years and am very interested in the internet facilities there.

I saw that Officeboy said he was on adsl and can video skype? A lot of you are looking at the wireless connection instead of ADSL. Is there are reason ADSL is not looked at?

I would like to possibly do some gaming online. Can you give me an idea if this would be possible at all?

I am using digicel 3g internet becasue it's cheaper and very easy to start. If you like to use ADSL, you need fixed line telephone line with PNG Telikom. I heard the PNG Telikom service is very bad. I went to PNG Telikom office one day to find out ADSL but only one was sitting at the counter in the office. I just gave up.

Digicel prepaid 80 Kina = 500mb

From my skype experience, you can hear well but they cannot hear me well.  But it depends on the weather, time, locatoin etc. I don't think video skype works on 3g internet here.

Other than Skype, it is OK but quite slow, better than nothing.

ADSL is expensive. ADSL speed is range from 128/64 to 512/256 so it is still slower than the rest of the world.

According to Skype you need to have more than 512kbps up for video skype.

Please post if you have another solution.

officeboy wrote:

I use datec.net.pg superb speeds, Can video call back to Europe with no problems

Interested in the monthly cost for this?  Roughly?

is there an unlimited internet service in POM?

Try telikom ultra-broadband internet ADSL, has a potential to offer up to 20+ megabytes per second. Currently rolled out in parts of Gerehu and all of rainbow area. From there, next suburb under target is Taurama Army Barracks and eventually to the rest of the suburbs in Mort Moresby.