Day trips from Puerto Plata

We've been to the DR several times but it's been awhile, and this time we're renting a car so we're more free to roam about the north coast. We're staying at a condo/hotel managed by a Canadian expat friend, in Puerto Plata. We've never stayed in an all-inclusive and probably never will...we prefer to mingle with the expats, European tourists and locals.

So, recommendations, please? I'd like to hit a beach in the Cabarete area, with good people-watching and a bar/cafe on the sand. We used to always stay in Sosua, but it's been 8 years, so we might stop in for old times' sake. Is that British pub still there?

Any recommendations for breakfast or lunch in Puerto Plata, Costambar or Cofresi? What about places with wireless Internet? Our hotel has wifi, but we like to go out and surf the 'net on our iPads sometimes...and we should have a backup in case the hotel's electricity or Internet goes down.

We're a married couple age 40, if it matters; we don't quite party like we're 25 anymore...maybe 30 :) We speak a little "travel Spanish" but couldn't carry on a meaningful adult conversation.

Let me know if anyone needs anything. We leave Thursday.

Welcome to Expat.com julesbo!;)

Harmonie.

I can answer a few of your questions as I live between Sosua and Cabarete.
Beaches for people watching; the best place is still Sosua beach secondly is the beach in Cabarete but here most beach goers are tourists.  Some great beach side restaurants in Cabarete and in Sosua the beach is lined with restaurants, bars and shops.

In sosua the Britania (british restaurant) is still there now run by a terrific Canadian couple. Has the best fish sandwich and fish and chips in the area.

A great new excusion to do is Monkey Jungle monkeyjungledr.com
It is the longest zip line and the only certified one in the DR. There is also a monkey habitat that you can go into and interact with the monkeys. The best part is 100% of the profits goes into supporting the on site MEdical and Dental clinic set up for the local poor population. This is a FREE clinic for them.

Enjoy your trip and let me know if you have other questions on teh area. Unfortunatly I don't know much about the Confressi area.

Bob K

Thanks Bob! Monkey Jungle sounds like a must-see.

Are there any specific restaurants or bars you recommend in Cabarete, or Sosua? We are most likely to visit during the day...so any lunch spots especially? I enjoy driving in the DR, which can sometimes be thrilling (or terrifying) but mostly plan to make road trips during daylight hours.

Is hwy 5 (like between la ciudad de Puerto Plata and Playa Cabarete) lighted at night, by the way? I'm pretty much guessing not, but I can't remember!

Sosua:
Waterfront ($$)beautiful views
Britania bar/restaurant
Cafe Cubano with great luch items, desserts, and different coffees. Also the best selection of ligit cigars in the area
Tom's Scandadavian restaurant on the beach.

Cabarete:
Ono's
Kahunas
Pomodoro's
Voy/Voy
All are on the beach.

The highway is basically NOT lit and can be somewhat dangerous at night if you are not used to it.

BobK