Winter in Malta-Summer in uk

Hi

We have been holidaying for a few years and hate having to go home. We even had a 15 week break in 2009. So now we are looking at a much longer break

Is there any short/long term storage on the island.We want to bring over bikes,fishing gear and some personnel items to leave and pull out each time we come over.

We are not sure how the split would be-6&6 or 4 in uk & 8 in Malta. Can we do that?

We will probably short let our property in the uk.

We may need some part time work(my partner does TEFL)  although this might not be necessary as we can possibly earn enough whilst in back in uk. What's the score on that? Do we need permits?

If we don't work can we stay on holiday for that many months.

Dave

TEFL is much sought after here and getting that work will be quite easy - however it doesnt pay as much as you would normally expect - i know a number of people who are TEFL accreditted and they were not impressed by the money....

Going back to your original question as Toon does get excited ;)

You can rent a garage (although this would have to be yearly) and store your stuff in that... I pay about €465 a year for mine.... but as i often find here I live in the South of Malta and things as a little cheaper :)

Back to you Toon ... lol

Julian

This company offers storage services in Malta:

www.u-store.com.mt

I have no experience of them and no opinion about their services. But they are there.

scubaboy wrote:

Going back to your original question as Toon does get excited ;)

what ya tring to say like scooby...lol

Hi Dave,

to teach English to foreign students in Malta you don't need a work permit if you are from the EU. When you have a job you just register this with ETC.

You need the qualification ( TEFL,CELTA ,DELTA ...) and you have to register with the Ministry of Education and get the certification. The school will ask for the certificate. It is then renewed yearly by the Ministry through the school.

Cheers
Ricky

thanks for the replies

John - The storage people look interesting-will pop in/contact  them later in year to discus details and costs.

Ricky - The TEFL info was very useful so will have to contact some of the schools for further details.
Toon -any idea what the pay is like?

As i said not to sure how long we will come over for . A lot depends on the situation here due to both our jobs being a bit dodgy, so we might be over quicker then we expected.

Have no problem with that as we a both getting a bit tiresome of the workplace and a extra long break would be most welcome.

p.s we will eventually come over permanant but have some tying up to do here b4 we can contemplate that

thanks

David

i have a friend who does it as a trainee tutor and he gets just under 10 euro an hr.....but some other friends of mine who used t0 live here (went back to uk last year) and they travel all over the world for TEFL work.....and they were only offered 12.50euro pr hr....bloody good money for here  but alas wasnt good enough for them....

Any pay over 10 €/ hour before taxes can be considered good! My partner is a teacher. You can choose between contract and freelance but the pay is about the same. Preparation time is not paid for ..... so effectivly you are earning around 5€/hour. And no paid vacation or health care ....

Considering the bad shape of schools at the moment and lower student funding from countries like Spain it probably won't get much better.

If your job situation in England is dodgy , don't think that it will be any better in Malta. If you have the funding for a longer break you will be fine. Summer is coming ....

Cheers
Ricky

Re TEFL-  to work here teaching, the TEFL is not enough.  It has to be back by either an A level or TELT certificate in order for you to be issued a licence to teach.

:D