Cyclone in Mauritius

Approaching the island, or not ?

you can follow its trajectory on http://mtotec.com/

and read the bulletins on http://metservice.intnet.mu/ (when this website is available ... was down this morning)

Class 3 warning in effect.

Another website to view the satellite images is http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/s … 000&loop=0

Should be interesting.

J.

thanks for the links :)

Ouch. Not good for business, though trajectory is pretty straight towards Madagascar so should be a fairly quiet one for Mauritius - if the SE trajectory holds that is. ...

It's all relative of course, but we're not going to see a lot of sun for the next few days :(

Better bring the terrace furniture inside methinks.

Dynamic sat screen here (metservice hosted, so prep for slow loading time);

http://metservice.intnet.mu/synopticima … ellite.jpg

ya and now its been said that it will be near most during midday

I heard there are two more cyclones approaching Mauritius... is it true?

Capri13 wrote:

I heard there are two more cyclones approaching Mauritius... is it true?

I have heard the same but it you look at the site below - its looks as though they will both miss Mau.

This site gives about 6 options of different views, so it quite a good site :)

Click on Indian Ocean and then click on the cyclone name i.e. Giovanni and then when that loads it gives you 6 ways to view it and its path (above the map)

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

ya well its 200 km from rodrigues now

avinash dindyal wrote:

For the "new to cyclones" person - 200km means??? ;)

Rosiewestie wrote:
avinash dindyal wrote:

It is still a tropical storm that could close in on  Rodrigues by tomorrow - gale is not high enough to be called a cyclone

External wrote:
Rosiewestie wrote:
avinash dindyal wrote:

It is still a tropical storm that could close in on  Rodrigues by tomorrow - gale is not high enough to be called a cyclone

But can it still change and become a cyclone?
:)

Rosiewestie wrote:
External wrote:
Rosiewestie wrote:

Wiki is your friend

Many tropical cyclones develop when the atmospheric conditions around a weak disturbance in the atmosphere are favorable. The background environment is modulated by climatological cycles and patterns such as the Madden-Julian oscillation, El Niño-Southern Oscillation, and the Atlantic multidecadal oscillation. Others form when other types of cyclones acquire tropical characteristics. Tropical systems are then moved by steering winds in the troposphere; if the conditions remain favorable, the tropical disturbance intensifies, and can even develop an eye. On the other end of the spectrum, if the conditions around the system deteriorate or the tropical cyclone makes landfall, the system weakens and eventually dissipates. It is not possible to artificially induce the dissipation of these systems with current technology.

External wrote:
Rosiewestie wrote:
External wrote:

Wiki is your friend

Many tropical cyclones develop when the atmospheric conditions around a weak disturbance in the atmosphere are favorable. The background environment is modulated by climatological cycles and patterns such as the Madden-Julian oscillation, El Niño-Southern Oscillation, and the Atlantic multidecadal oscillation. Others form when other types of cyclones acquire tropical characteristics. Tropical systems are then moved by steering winds in the troposphere; if the conditions remain favorable, the tropical disturbance intensifies, and can even develop an eye. On the other end of the spectrum, if the conditions around the system deteriorate or the tropical cyclone makes landfall, the system weakens and eventually dissipates. It is not possible to artificially induce the dissipation of these systems with current technology.

Sorry did not make myself clear ;)
I have already read the Wiki as I use it a lot for things I don't understand.

I have been told
1. As Giovanni has already passed us it will never turn into a cyclone again, as its almost "burnt out"

2. It will def turn into a cyclone again

Been told both the above by 2 local people today - so now I am more confused lol :)

FWIW: Giovanna is long gone since cyclone moves east to west according to the trade winds. New formations starting as a storm denoted by numbers S1 ...... S12 ( Giovanna) , s13, S14  etc .

So up to April, expect new formations, new disturbances , new storms and hopefully no fierce cyclones. That's the reality in the tropics .

New tropical storm 200kms to the north north east of Rodrigues is named Hilwa. Giovanna has been knocking around for near on two weeks and is now weakened - again - unless it strengthens they say... :(

FWIW: Giovanna has already destroyed part of Madagascar and was over Mozambique 3 days ago. There is no way it will come back to Mauritius - that's not how the trade winds work . If it does pick up strength id somewhere over the Southern part of Africa . It's only new formations that may turn into cyclones - looks like Hilwa is still a tamed storm so far but we don't know if it can pick up and in which direction it will evolve.

Then let's hope Hilwa heads off south. :)

Thanks guys for explaining it to me :)